“A good meal spoiled”
Review of The Scape House

The Scape House
Ranked #16 of 574 Restaurants in Huddersfield
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Families with children, Kids, Scenic view, Bar scene, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Brunch, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
“A good meal spoiled”
Reviewed March 3, 2013

We went to the Scape House for a meal to celebrate a 50th birthday. The quality of the food I cannot fault, everyone in the party of 10 thoroughly enjoyed their meals, however the evening as a whole was somewhat spoiled by bad management on the part of the pub. The entire restaurant area was booked out for another party of 30 and was already closed off at 5:30 when we arrived. The party was booked for 7:30 and the people attending were kept away from their table and crowded in the pub area for around 45 minutes, making conversation at our table almost impossible. Then at 8 o'clock, we were asked to leave our table as the pub had booked another group of 8 in at that time. This had not been mentioned to us at the time of booking the table. We explained that we had taxis booked for 9 o'clock and wouldn't be moving anywhere. The manager eventually agreed that we could stay in situ, possibly swayed by the fact our bill was in excess of £300, however this had already soured our evening. I doubt i will be returning.

• Visited March 2013
ScapeHouse, Owner at The Scape House, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Thanks for your review & the very honest feedback. Firstly, we are very pleased to hear that everyone in your party enjoyed the food.

With regards to the table we are glad this was brought to our attention as it has helped us improve the customer experience for future guests. Sometimes it can be difficult to judge the average turnover time for a table - as a rough guide we estimate 2 hours for tables of 2-4 people, and 2 hours 30 minutes for tables of 5+. This is fairly standard procedure for most places, in many of which guests are politely asked to continue with drinks say in the bar area. This has happened to me personally a couple of times elsewhere.

The occasion in question is the only time it's happened at the Scape House to date, but to try & avoid it happening again we are encouraging staff to discuss reservations in more detail with diners; for example are they celebrating, where are they travelling from, have they booked a return taxi at a set time. If this was done in your case then I'm sure the problem could have been averted as we could have allowed more time. We're disappointed to hear that you're unlikely to return based on this one error alone, but thanks again for bringing it to our attention & we wish you all the best to you & your family for the future.

“Regarding last comments”
Reviewed February 28, 2013

I was also in on sunday to visit my family friends who were treating me for the evening, I'd travelled over from wakefield to see them! I disagree with most comments below and would urge people to read the comment below as I felt the place was very welcoming and had a brilliant atmosphere! I would definately reccomend the scape house to future visitors! Price, quality and service was all excellant

ScapeHouse, Owner at The Scape House, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Thanks for your comments & for taking the time to post your review. I'm very pleased to hear you enjoyed your experience at the Scape House & we look forward to seeing you again in the future.
Yorkshire, United Kingdom
“Poor atmosphere, average food”
Reviewed February 27, 2013

I agree with others reviews on here, about the unwelcoming atmosphere. The Scape House is one of those pubs where you walk in and all local heads turn and stare at you. Not very welcoming, and the staff behind the bar barely acknowledged us either. The waitress who served us was sweet and friendly but that was it. You're better off eating in the pub area rather than the restaurant area, purely because the restaurant area is like a canteen - basic, cold, hard seated and no plush furnishings. At least in the pub part there is a fire and softer sofas.
Food was not great. Not bad, but not great and seems rather pricey for what you get. My steak was cooked well, but the veg on the side was minimal (I counted 4 halves of small mushrooms as my garnish). My parents ordered meat with veg sides, and their sides were very small too.
It was only early evening when we visited but there was only a choice of 3 desserts left as everything else had already gone, although granted they might have had busy Sunday afternoon lunchers.
Wasn't great. Probably won't be going back in a hurry.

• Visited February 2013
ScapeHouse, Owner at The Scape House, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Thanks for your comments & for taking the time to post your review. We took on the Scape House in mid-Decemeber 2012 approximately two months before your review was written. Some of your more constructive criticisms have since been addressed.

I think it's safe for me to say that it's quite rare for some-one to leave the Scape House still feeling hungry, as more often than not we get comments of people being over-faced by the hearty portions! As a precaution we did mention in a staff meeting just to make sure all side dishes - which are included in the price - are ample.

The furniture in the restaurant area was inherited from the previous owner and steps have been taken to improve how comfortable the seating is, eventually there will be all new tables & chairs. There's also a partition being built to reduce the draft from the front door - although this is not so much of a problem now we're coming into the warmer season.

Lastly, although we have no control over whether locals may look at you as you walk in we do have to disagree with your comments about the atmosphere. I myself am from Manchester, having moved to this area 6 years ago with the purchase of a nearby pub called the Rose & Crown. Although it was tricky to adapt to a different way of life & of thinking, the locals have been nothing but kind & supportive since my arrival - despite me being from the "wrong side of the hill". One thing I love to do myself is to observe people's behaviour, and if you look deeper you may find that people are looking around as they're intrigued or proud of the fact a new face has decided to visit their local pub and area. Hand on heart we've had some fantastic evenings in the Scape House - such as fundraisers, theme nights etc - which have seen some brilliant atmosphere's, and anyone is welcome to join the family.

Kind Regards, Steve Kerr
Huddersfield, England, United Kingdom
“A Colne Valley delight...”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

In brief then...
5 adults and 2 children for Sunday lunch.
excellent communications on the telephone when booking-clear,concise and amicable.
Warm welcome as we entered the pub.
Quick service at the bar for drinks.
Friendly,smiling waitresses,quick allocation of table.
Appropriate time given for menu browsing.
Good banter whilst taking order.
Nice choice of real ales.
Food arrived hot,all together and well presented.
Lovely tasty produce,great portions,fresh veg cooked perfectly,meat locally sourced and tender,gorgeous gravy,children's portions perfect in size.
Didn't overdo the usual " is everything ok"...just once and half way through our meals.
Quick service when bill requested.
Clean pub all round and the table we got with lots of light via large windows was fabulous with great views across the valley.
Lovely kids play area across the road.
Cannot fault the place and it is lovely that now within a mile of my home i have an eatery to bring family and friends which is well above the norm!!
Price for us all was very suitable too for the great food and service,not cheap but really reasonable.
Can't wait for our next visit
Well Done all responsible....

t ended up not

• Visited February 2013
ScapeHouse, Owner at The Scape House, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Thanks for your very detailed & informative comments & for taking the time to post your review. I'm very pleased to hear you enjoyed your experience at the Scape House & we look forward to seeing you again in the future.
“A Hidden Gem”
Reviewed February 10, 2013

Upon entering the Scape House we were greeted pleasantly by the waitress, who gave us options to sit either in the restaurant or the bar area.
Opting for the bar area we were escorted to our chosen table and promptly asked for our drink order.
The food was very enjoyable and each course served within an appropriate amount of time.
The all the wait staff were attentive, polite and efficient.
The interior of the Scape House is pleasantly decorated with calm lighting, a traditional feel and a roaring coal fire, perfect for a cosy Sunday Lunch atmosphere.
The prices reflect good value for the quality of food on offer. Was informed that the dessert menu is about to be revised, looking forward to seeing what new items will be included, (although the homemade white chocolate and hazelnut cheesecake was delicious).
Definitely worth the trek out in the snowy weather!

ScapeHouse, Owner at The Scape House, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Thanks for your comments & for taking the time to post your review. Thanks also for your support during the bad weather - during which we are very much reliant on people making that extra effort to visit us. I'm very pleased to hear you enjoyed your experience at the Scape House & we look forward to seeing you again in the future.