“Love it here- give it a go”
Review of The Bull's Head

The Bull's Head
Ranked #56 of 576 Restaurants in Huddersfield
Cuisines: European, British
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Charming country pub now fully refurbished. Cosy atmosphere, great fresh food, exciting drinks list and warm hospitality. A Prime British Pub With A Continental Twist!
“Love it here- give it a go”
Reviewed October 5, 2013

We walk here with our dog almost an hour each way most sundays (dogs are allowed in bar area and other selected seating & not resturant which suits everyone.) we love it here since the refurb.new prosecco on tap at £3.95 is lovely . as are the freshly made pofiteroles&warm choc sauce (yum yum).if wanted to have anythin else if really picking mabe a salmon salad dish or something similar when trying to be on diet would be nice so you can still come out but be good. menu is great and staff are very nice and friendly. much recommended. You must try it.

• Visited October 2013
Virgil_Hilts_11, Owner at The Bull's Head, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
Hi there and thanks for such a generous review. We are delighted that you like the refurb and enjoy our food and service so much. As you say we cater for dog walkers with dogs welcome in the bar area, but have the restaurant dog-free, which we think is a nice compromise for all. Good also to hear you like our great new Prosecco on tap, which is going down a treat. Thanks for your valuable feedback on all aspects of The Bulls Head which we have taken on board and we hope to see you again soon.

Holmfirth, United Kingdom
“Food great - choice and prices, not so great”
Reviewed October 1, 2013

Perhaps I've been a bit naughty only grading this restaurant as average, let me tell you why!
We were greeted with a warm smile, and taken to a table, where in a small dining area at 6:30pm on a Tuesday night there were only two other tables taken. We had passed another pub on the way and the car park was very busy, be having decided to eat at the Bulls Head we motored onward.
When we first looked at the menu, my friend who does not like fruit or alcohol cooked in a main dish was really struggling to choose. I pointed out that Gammon steak was on the menu, and her face lit up, as this is something she as a superb cook does not make for herself as "I don't seem able to cook gammon properly," The dish was ordered, with a specific request that no dressing be added to the salad. Congratulations! The dish was served exactly are requested.
I don't eat meat, I like fish, but thought the bouillabaisse more than I wished to pay on a Tuesday night and the other fish was not what I wanted, so I had the tagliatelle with mushroom in a creamy tomato sauce with garlic bread.
The Gammon was excellent, but the portion too big, the tagliatelle was on the small side.
Conclusion! Choice rather limited for our taste, and too expensive for the market place - which is why it was so quite at 7:15pm when we left!

• Visited October 2013
2 Thank Mairi M
Virgil_Hilts_11, Owner at The Bull's Head, responded to this review, October 2, 2013
Hi there, and thanks for your review. We fully agree that you have been a bit naughty only grading our restaurant as average. Let ME tell YOU why!

You had great food and service with a smile and yet you took the opportunity to have a go at problems that just weren't there. Most bizarre and uncalled for to say the least.

We currently offer over 50 dishes at The Bulls Head, of which only a handful contain alcohol or fruit. Those that do, can also be cooked without; you only need to ask.

6:30pm on a Tuesday evening is not a peak time for us. If you had come a little later, you would have found a buzzing restaurant. We are the busiest place in the local area so to have another uncalled for dig about us being quiet (not "quite") is really quite mean.

It really is much more difficult, challenging and ultimately satisfying to create a very successful business like The Bulls Head, than try and harm it by posting petty and anonymous reviews on this website. We are proud of what we do, and we hope you can say the same for yourself.
Tadcaster, Yorkshire
“Best Roast Chicken EVER....and Prosecco on tap - Fabulous !!!”
Reviewed October 1, 2013

It could be said that a roast chicken is a roast chicken - but not at The Bull's Head, I have never tasted chicken like it, and its fair to say, I've had a few. A whole roast chicken brought to the table on a board and carved for us. It was quite simply stunning ( so much so I asked for the carcass to be wrapped so I could take it home to make stock). Service was quick, Staff were friendly and the food and wine was, as I have stated before, simply fabulous! If only I lived closer, the Bull's Head would be my first choice ! Will definitely be back next time we are in the area!

• Visited September 2013
Hi there, and thanks for leaving such fab review for us. It's always so nice to hear from guests who have travelled from further afield and sampled our hospitality. Our whole roast chicken on a board goes down great with our customers on Sunday afternoons and we are so pleased you enjoyed it. Thank you for your kind words about our service and drinks also, it's much appreciated. We hope you will call in and see us again when next over this way.
Holmfirth, United Kingdom
“Exceptional”
Reviewed September 30, 2013

I remember first visiting The Bulls Head 8 years ago. We walked in and walked straight back out. It was only since the refurbishment I thought we would try it again and we have now been back most weeks since!

The meals are all freshly prepared and being a fussy eater, the Chefs will go that extra mile - e.g. I cannot stand onions but really fancied one of their burgers so they prepared me one with no onions in. There are very few other places I can think of where they would do that for you. As for the review about over-seasoned steaks, I find that hard to believe and have friends that come over from Saddleworth and Rochdale because of the quality of the food.

We have now become regulars at The Bulls Head and have now held a surprise 60th and more latterly a surprise 30th in their upstairs seating area - Which is fantastic for the surprise factor when they come up the stairs.

The deserts are to die for, there is nothing else you can say!

All of the staff are fantastic and the owners are very experienced in both food, ale and wine. My father in law loves coming over for the real ales before his meals.

All in all, this is most probably the best restaurant around in this area.

• Visited September 2013
Hi there, and thanks for a lovely write up. It's great to hear that you like what we do and keep returning to The Bulls Head. As you say, we have a great room for celebrations and parties with stunning valley views; it always gives that wow factor for a sepcial "do". Anthony. Melanie and their team also go out of their way to look after their guests in the best way possible, so special ocassions are just that.
Yes, we agree about the previous review about over-seasoning - we find it hard to believe as well, as you are correct - it's simply not true. Sometimes you have to take some reviews with a pinch of salt (pardon the pun!).
Thanks for such a detailed and positive review and for recommending us so highly to other readers on TripAdvisor.
Meltham, United Kingdom
“Excellent - especially Friday's fish & chip night”
Reviewed September 30, 2013

We first visited the Bulls Head for a drink when it was freshly under new management and were immediately impressed with the menu and the look of the food - we waited until after it had been refurbished before we had a meal and have been nothing but impressed on each and every visit - we're hardly regulars, but since having the fish & chip special on a Friday night, we've completely abandoned the local chippy.

The menu rotates often, but the everyday favourites are always there. The food is excellent, great service and most of all, it's excellent value. The children's menu is excellent too. The portion sizes are well balanced.

Whether it's weekday lunches, Sunday lunch, a family celebration or just an alternative to eating in, this is the place to go. It never disappoints.

• Visited September 2013
Hi there, and thanks for such a brill review. Fish & Chip Fridays are always popular at The Bulls Head, and at £5.95 for the freshest fish and hand cut chips, you can't go wrong. We are glad you enjoy this offer, and the other dishes we provide. Of course we were additionally happy to hear your positive feedback on our service and value for money as well.
We do appreciate your time in leaving such kind words for others to read.