“Good food and service!”

Ranked #80 of 509 Restaurants in Huddersfield
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed August 5, 2013

My girlfriend and I booked a table at the restaurant and when we arrived ordered drinks and were then shown to our table, after working out you ordered at the bar we had a nice meal. The food was above average but definitely not disappointing! The prices were just right and the service was great, the waiters were always happy to bring any sauces etc. We had a lovely experience. Will surely be popping in again!

Reviewed July 21, 2013

I rang and was greeted by a friendly voice to book for 4

the food is varied , different sizes to suit any appetite, starters and main great idea reasonable prices, drinks reasonable too , specials board full 0f main and starters and a menu too , one had prawn cocktail, 1 Yorkshire puddings in gravy not aunt bessies the real home made macoy, duck spring rolls, and garlic mushroom all plentiful and prawn cocktail loads of bread with it, mains braising steak, seabass, lasagne and Cumberland ring, all came with veg separate for you to choose how much, nothing too much trouble , just a lovely experience in the restaurant side and also ther is a bar side too, so go and explre

Reviewed July 16, 2013

Michael and I had taken Barney out for his usual swim and then we'd driven around enjoying the sunshine. On the way back - not having had lunch - we stopped at the Cask and Spindle wondering if they'd be happy to have Barney around. The manageress, Lindsay, was extremely helpful showing us where we could sit outside with Barney and almost immediately producing a container of water for him.
There were plenty of cars in the car park showing it was a popular place; no sooner had we sat down than a young man appeared with two menus with a good range of dishes on them. Michael chose the battered haddock, hand cut chips and mushy peas and I chose the beefburger in a bun, with hand cut chips and side salad. We also ordered two teas.
Anyone who knows me knows that the only way to eat chips is with lashings of ketchup and i was just remarking to Michael that I hoped they would have some ketchup when the young man turned up with a container of ketchup, mustard, brown sauce, salad cream, mayonnaise, tartare sauce and vinegar followed by a large pot of tea with hot water, sugar and milk in quick succession by an equally attentive young lady.
The meal was delicious - how the Cask and Spindle manage to produce a large beefburger in a lightly toasted bun with hand cut chips, a good helping of side salad and a helping of coleslaw - all for £5.00 is beyond me.
The manageress even turned out to see if we had enjoyed the meal, then suggested local walking routes for Barney in the future and finally invited us to look at the interior of the pub before we went. We didn't turn down the invitation and found it buzzing with people all enjoying a meal - there was even a blackboard with vegetarian options on, too.
Definitely 10/10 for service and 10/10 for food; if I have any comments to make it is that the outside tables needed rubbing down and more wood preservative but even then before I had even voiced this Lindsay had already stated that this was on the cards.
A well run family business which is well worth paying a visit to.

Reviewed June 23, 2013

June 2013. Pre booked table for 8 on Saturday around 5PM. Actually turned up with 9 and they were able to accommodate the extra with no problems. Glad we reserved as the place was very busy and quite a few people were advised that they were full that evening. They had posted some menu's to me prior to us arriving and the menu is traditional pub fayre. They have two prices as they offer a light bite version of the majority of the meals however, a sign at the bar said you have to identify that you want the light bite otherwise they will assume regular size is required. They also have a specials board and another board with vegetarian selection. I have to say that only one of our party actually ordered from the printed menu and the rest chose from the boards. The meals were perfect. The food was excellent quality and cooked very well and the portions were very generous. We also selected deserts from the menu which again were very well portioned but at £4 each were rather on the pricy side.
All in all everybody in the party really enjoyed the meal and the ambiance of the place. The girls behind the bar looked after us well until the evening staff came on (at six) and we really enjoyed out meal. Would definitely recommend but I would advise to book first.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

we have been regulars for about never had a bad meal great welcome from the rotheram sister
every visit food always good dont like roast spuds anyway