“Made to feel welcome”

Ranked #19 of 25 Huddersfield B&B and Inns
Stevenage, United Kingdom
“Made to feel welcome”
Reviewed March 10, 2013

This is the 4th time we have stayed at this Inn and the owners and staff go to extra mile to make you feel welcome. The rooms are very comfortable with plenty of hot water and large baths. Breakfasts were big and plentiful, just what you needed to start the day. The evening meals were of a high standard, and very well priced, and the bar had an excellent selection of ale's. With the bus stop situated right outside the Inn, the town centre was easy to get to if you didn't want to take the car. I went to the football game with friends and was kindly taken there and back by the landlord Nigel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Kez H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Brecon, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 23, 2013

My husband and I were visiting family in Huddersfield and chose to stay here for two nights. After a tiring four and a half hours drive we were really pleased to arrive at this lovely homely warm B & B and pub. The food was absolutely amazing as was the breakfast. The rooms were cosy and decorated beautifully, and the staff could not do enough for you. For the price you pay this place is an absolute bargain, and was very clean. We will be staying here again without a doubt and looking forward to our next stay already!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank NikkiHirst
rhyl
Reviewed February 12, 2013

Just arrived home after staying at the Croppers Arms, the room was very nice, the service Fantastic the staff were very friendly and helpful, looking up information on line for us, the food was great, the breakfast was so big, i could only eat a sandwich for my tea. the location was good, we left the car and took the bus into huddersfield and surrounding area`s as the bus stop is right outside the door and the buses are very cheap and very regular. i would definitely stay at the Croppers Arms again and recommend it, and I did not find it noisy at all, or hear traffic whizzing past, you could see the traffic if you looked out of the window, and you could see people outside but you could not hear them, unless you were on the fire escape staircase. It was Great. no sticky tables or menu`s and the pub was full with locals eating out, the food was good all fresh produce.

Room Tip: tel the Croppers Arms and ask the staff they go out of their way to help you
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank chrissyrhyl
chester
Reviewed October 31, 2012

I know everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I feel some of the comments on here are harsh concerning the croppers arms. "Just a pub with rooms"? We yes that's exactly what it is and it doesn't pretend or advertise itself as anything else. I've stayed in numerous 5* hotels and yes they're lovely as are their price tags, but for the money I can only say the croppers arms is a comfortable, pleasant and warming place to stay. I was attending the university for 3 days so it was ideally situated for me, 25 mins walking distance away to burn of my fully loaded breakfast (which I must say lasted me all day and saved me buying lunch :-)). The first night I found I was unable to access wifi in the room I was in. I casually mentioned this to the lady serving breakfasts the next day and within one hour I received a telephone call advising me of a room change as unfortunately the room I had was the only one in the place that had trouble with connection. I returned that evening and the cleaning staff had moved all of my belongings into my new room. A task I didn't expect but each and every item was put away and laid out exactly how I'd left it in my previous room. TOP SERVICE I'D SAY!!! As for previous comments suggesting there is too much noise, I agree noise comes from the road and from downstairs in the pub until closing, but it's hardly enough to make the stay unpleasant. I purchased some ear plugs and found they did just the trick for traffic noise. However, I must point out that this is not a criticism of the croppers, but more an issue of me being a light sleeper. All in all I would recommend the croppers arms as a cozy place to stay and I will most certainly be returning there for my next stint at uni. Thanks guys!!!

• Stayed October 2012
2 Thank podiatry1980
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 2, 2012

Stayed there last night not very well maintained towel rail fell off wall bed was just a base on floor with mattress thrown on top Only good point was I got evening meal instead of breakfast
Also could not sleep with traffic wizzing past and noise peaple outside in the smoking area

• Stayed September 2012
2 Thank hornj
Leeds
Reviewed August 6, 2012

I've never felt the need to leave a negative review before, but this will be my first one after our experience on Sunday afternoon. The tables were filthy with dirty plates and glasses everywhere and menus were sticky and dirty. When placing our order we were told by the barmaid that there was "No meat". When we asked why there was no meat she replied "It's a Sunday afternoon, there's no meat left. What do you expect on a Sunday?". After choosing an alternative option we went back to the bar to order. The same barmaid walked past us to serve a regular customer. The customer told her that we were next but she shrugged her shoulders and ignored us. When the food arrived portions were very small, but that was a blessing in disguise as the food was very tasteless and I suspect the onion rings and vegetables were frozen. When we tried to ask questions about the ingredients of a dessert (for allergy reasons) the bar maid was extremely sarcastic and laughed which was very embarrassing. She eventually (whilst sighing) went to ask in the kitchen and told us that the kitchen staff did not know what was in the dessert either. Whilst we were there we also witnessed this barmaid being extremely rude to a hotel guest as well as numerous unprofessional arguments between her and the kitchen staff. Looking back, we should have left as soon as we sat down at a filthy table.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Daniella M
Sherborne, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 7, 2012

When my local football team finished their season with an away match against Huddersfield, I decided to stay for the night and then travel in to the Peak District. I booked a night in the Croppers Arms and was glad I did. It was perfect for what I needed it for, really. Just a couple of miles from the Galpharm Stadium, I got there and parked up pretty quickly after full time in the football. I was greeted by friendly staff who showed me to my room. I was instantly impressed by the size and condition of the room. The bed was very comfortable and the bathroom was clean, well decorated and fitted and a very good size. There was a flat screen TV and tea and coffee facilities in the bedroom, and all in all it was pretty impressive.

After getting changed (I was in Wurzel fancy dress, so I really did have to change!) I went down to the bar. The FA Cup Final was on so I watched that in the bar where there few people in there seemed pretty friendly. I then had a meal and was pretty impressed with the food; standard pub type food but good quality and well priced. It was then back up to my room where I lay in bed and fell asleep much earlier than I'd planned (I still had the TV on!). A good night sleep and a hearty full English breakfast with toast, tea and orange juice rounded off a very nice stay where everyone I came across was very friendly.

The only reason I've marked it down slightly is because someone was fixing something on the roof, or doing something there anyway, right outside my window at about 8am on the Sunday morning. I was already up so it wasn't a problem but if anyone had wanted a weekend lie in, that would have been pretty annoying I think. But these things happen.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo