“Waiting!!!” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Clough House - CLOSED

The Clough House
Cuisines: British
Good for: Dining on a budget
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol
Halifax, West Yorks
“Waiting!!!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2011

Booked this pub/restaurant solely based on the reviews. I was prepared for, and prepared the rest of my family, for the appearance of the pub, but it was not that which disappointed me, I was extremely disappointed out with the amount of time we had to wait for our table & then our meal. We booked the table for 6pm & arrived bang on time. We ordered drinks and were told that our table was being cleared so we should sit in the bar area. We ordered our meals 10 mins later & were told again that our table was being cleared. At 6.40 we were taken to our table - it was the same table that we'd seen a party of 8 people sat at whilst we were waiting - they were chatting, drinking & not been given the 'hurry up' despite the fact we were waiting - makes you wonder what the point is of booking a particular time. Anyway, we were now sat at the table & assumed that our meal would be with us very soon - not the case. We waited again for another 40 mins before our food was served. When it did arrive, it was very tasty and well presented, but we were already lost, such a shame. I was so looking forward to this meal & booked it for a special occasion - my in laws Ruby Wedding anniversary, but I am so disappointed with the outcome. When I mention the Clough House to friends I will say the food was nice, but I would not recommend a visit.

• Visited September 2011
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Rubester1975

Huddersfield, United Kingdom
“What a suprising place - look beyond to outside !”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2011

Like many people on TripAdvisor I was not expecting much from this little pub. From the outside it does look like a local/old timer place but please dont let this put you off.
I have lived down the road for almost three years and still not discovered this gem
To start I had the pan fried scallops which were cooked to perfection. My rump steak was fantastic and cooked just the way it should be for a medium steak. The chips are hand cut and the best I have ever tasted.
If you love great food get yourself to this amazing place, we are going again tomorrow for steak night !

• Visited August 2011
Leeds, United Kingdom
“if i was on death row this would be my last meal”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2011

i was driving past with the wife on friday and just thought why not as we have heard good things about this place. we both had the pan fried scallops to start with and they was to die for, cooked to perfection and correctly seasoned which most other places fail to do so nowadays. And for the main i had the seabass with oriental salad which was again cooked to perfection and the ball and chain had the baked crab which may i add came with a home made bread roll which was the icing on the cake for us. you can tell the chefs really care about the food here as it shows with the quality thats been produced. cant wait for my next trip here!

• Visited August 2011
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
“Great food, look beyond the look of the pub”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2011

To me this is a gem of a find, wish I'd found it sooner. Today was my second visit, my second impressions were just as good as the first.

I would never have gone into this pub if it wasn't for trip advisor, as from the outside it hasn't got the most inviting exterior (or interior), but the food is stunning. I had BBQ chicken wings to start, very nice and very reasonable. Then pork belly for main, great crackling, then sticky toffee pudding, which was amazing, quite heavy, but very very nice.

If I had to criticise, there is a long wait for your food after ordering, but this is due to it all being cooked fresh, so I would recommend taking this into account when thinking about timings. This was the reason it was a 4 instead of a 5, because the wait is just a little too long.

Service wise, it was good but not amazing, although they were very busy at the time I went

Huddersfield, United Kingdom
“Superb food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2011

‘That’ll teach you,’ my Mother always used to say.

My Mother largely referred to my knee-jerk reactions, assumptions, to everyday things without stopping to discover how things actually are before making those snap decisions. I should have learned by now that rarely are those immediate decisions accurate but when they are, I use the Shaman-like knowing nod that says, ‘I told you so.’

With The Clough House, my Shaman nod got it wrong.

As you drive up to The Clough House, from the Bradley direction, drivers and walkers alike are treated to a floral visual delight with hanging baskets and wall troughs brim full of colourful flowers most of which I can’t name, but they’re beautiful none-the-less. And from the outside you get a sense of pub proud owners. This continues as you walk across threshold.

Cleanliness is next to Godliness, a mantra chanted by my Granny, and whilst the general decor could do with an update, here’s where my knee-jerk went awry, you cannot argue that the pub is unclean for it isn’t. And given that the pub is owned by Enterprise, perhaps the fixtures and fittings, for which I allude here, should be their responsibility and not the landlords. But we’re not hear to judge The Clough House on aesthetics alone, this is about the grub, bait, scran, food that they serve.

Landlords Martin & Lauren Cockram have created a vibrant hub of friendliness that oozes welcoming vibes and an unpretentious vibe that encapsulates all that venture in. Dining out I feel most uncomfortable in overly prim and proper, doff your cap, ‘what can I get Sir, Madam’ environments. Nor do I want to be treated like a long lost friend on the first outing, but I found The Clough House welcoming without being over the top. All very personal of course, but it worked for me.

So, the food. The food menu is extensive and the wine choices are reasonable along with the usual bear/larger suspects on tap.

We tried two starters and two mains and cutting to the chase, all were really scrummy, want to go back there tomorrow delicious. From the potted pork and garlic mushroom starters both served with toasted ciabatta, to the mouthwatering juicy, melt in your mouth steaks locally sourced from Bolster Moor Farm Shop in Golcar. This is produce at its finest.

Five Stars, not that I usually measure in this way, out of five for The Clough House - we’ll be back and suggest you to go.

• Visited July 2011