“Nothing About This Place That Is Pleasing!”

Best Western Pennine Manor Hotel
Ranked #7 of 14 Hotels in Huddersfield
Reviewed December 17, 2012

I cannot say anything good about this hotel at all when it comes to a general view. The food is so repetative, no decent variation in choice and is just so 'much of a muchness'. If you want to eat good quality cuisine with a difference, dont bother eating here. Its lacking flair and imagination and the waiting time between courses is a joke. It should not be more than 10 minutes - we waited over half an hour for our desserts to arrive to be asked inbetween if we would like another drink ......... its obvious that its their way of hoping you will spend even more money on drinks 'whilst you wait'. At the end of the day, these desserts are pre-made so why does it take so long? I can understand if the desserts are made from fresh but not when they are delivered to the hotel pre-made. Also, numerous times we had smeared cutlery on the table - very unhygienic! The restaurant itelf is in need of refurbishment - its dowdy and uninviting which then becomes so boring when visiting a few times - you may ask why visit a place on more than one occasion if disappointed? This was to give the place a chance to offer some change in the menu's but it did not happen. There will not be a repeat visit now.

On another note, the waiting staff need more training in etiquette and vocabulary - this is all I shall say on this matter.

As for staying in the rooms, we only ever stayed once in 2004 - never again! The rooms may have changed since 2004 but I cannot comment further as I really do not know. All in all, not even in the top 50 for me! If you want mediocre, then visit, if you want better, then dont.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
rsdeckers, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western Pennine Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 21, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to send us your feedback, it helps us make continuous improvements. With regard to the menu, our 2/3 course menu is changed at least 3 times a week and we also have an a la carte menu which has been changed twice since October when you visited us. Our desserts are all made on site, we do not buy them in.

With regard to the service times and cleanliness of the cutlery this will be brought up and action taken, since your visit we have carried out further staff training, brought some new team members in and we are confident that you would not find issue with them now.

We do hope you will visit again

Reviewed November 9, 2012

This hotel is about as remote as it gets, on the tops of the Pennines, but actually not that far from the motorway for easy access.
Friendly staff, very good food, good decoration, clean and welcoming.
I stayed in an executive room as a special offer, but having stayed in the hotel before I have to say the difference is marginal to a "normal" room. Both were well furnished, warm and comfortable.
Would definitly stay here again.

Room Tip: As far as I can see there is not much in it, but some may have a better view, which to the north is...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank John F
rsdeckers, Owner at Best Western Pennine Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 22, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review Pennine Manor and I am delighted to hear that your meals were very good, our team were friendly and welcoming and that your room was well furnished, warm and comfortable. I have passed your kind comments to Bev and her team and I look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Reviewed November 9, 2012

Stayed here overnight as attending a wedding ceremony and reception. Great location with stunning views. Staff were friendly and hard working. Took extra effort to have as many rooms as possible ready early to allow accesss to prepare for ceremony at 1400. Rooms clean and comfortable. Meals enjoyable, pleasantly served. As we were leaving in the morning the next wedding party were arriving, signalling another busy day for the staff,

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank MARCIAJOHNSON

Thank you for taking the time to review the Pennine Manor Hotel and I am delighted to hear that our team were friendly and hard-working and that your meals were enjoyable. We are lucky with the picturesque views that we have, beautiful in summer and can get very dramatic in winter!

It's great to hear that a good time was had by all the guests. I have passed your kind comments to Bev and her team and look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Reviewed October 30, 2012

I was invited to the evening part of a wedding celebration here and I just wanted to say how impressed I was with the staff who clearly went out of their way to make it a celebration to remember for the bride and groom. The room was delightful and tastefully decorated but it was the attitude of the staff which made it all the more memorable. Thank you.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank jjwo
rsdeckers, Owner at Best Western Pennine Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review Pennine Manor and I am delighted to hear that you were impressed with our team at a recent wedding celebration and it is great to hear that it was a celebration to remember for the Bride & Groom.

I have passed your kind comments to Bev and her team and I hope we can welcome you to Pennine Manor again soon.

Reviewed October 2, 2012

Thanks to Richard and all the staff at the Pennine Hotel, they looked after us wonderfully as well as 2 other wedding parties. The rooms were great the beds were all very comfy after a day on the motorbikes. We enjoyed the bundle package which included hotel, breakfast & a 3 coarse A La Carte menu.Richard our host in the evening and his staff could not have given a warmer welcome & service the a la carte menu was great for choice value and flavour. Well done to all the staff a great evening good value for money and outstanding food.

Room Tip: 3 couples 3 different rooms all great
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank Hantsman187054
rsdeckers, Owner at Best Western Pennine Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review Pennine Manor and I am delighted to hear that you were looked after so well by Richard and the team and that you took advantage of our excellent value Sleep & Dine offer. I am also pleased to hear that you found the beds very comfy and that the food was outstanding. I have passed on your kind comments to Bev and her team, especially Richard and I look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Reviewed September 7, 2012

A marvellous location, with splendid views towards Halifax and across the Pennines from my room. It's a pity that there is a vast expanse of tarmac car park in the foreground, but on the plus side there is plenty of parking space! The room and corridors were a bit gloomy, with heavy, dark wooden furnishings, many of which had seen better days. The whole place felt like it needed a good refurbishment. But the staff were excellent - every one I met was helpful and friendly. It's nice that the hotel seems to employ a lot of local staff, judging by the accents I heard. The room provided a comfortable night's sleep and breakfast was very good. All in all, a good place to stay.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Neil S
rsdeckers, Owner at Best Western Pennine Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 13, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review Pennine Manor and I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay with us. We are lucky with the magnificent views at Pennine Manor, beautiful in summer and dramatic in winter! I have noted your comments regarding the heavy wooden furniture. All rooms have been recently re-decorated and as the decor is traditional Yorkshire country, this does have a traditional feel to it.

The majority of our team are from the local area and I am pleased to hear that they were helpful and friendly. I have passed your kind comments on to Bev and her team and look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Reviewed August 28, 2012

I attend a monthly meeting at The Pennine Manor and think that it is one of the best hotels in Huddersfield. I have only eaten a couple of times recently after my meeting and have to say the food was tremendous. The service from all the staff is always polite and friendly. They make you feel very welcome. And added to this are the fabulous views you can take in as you look outside.
On one occasion a few years ago I took my staff out for a Christmas meal here and that too was very good, except for the usual (far too loud) DJ which in my opinion was not required.
As with most hotels I visit, I do find that the drinks are rather expensive but this I guess is to be expected. Overall I think you would have to go a long way to find another hotel like this in the local area.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
5  Thank Blindfiddler
rsdeckers, Owner at Best Western Pennine Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 6, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review Pennine Manor and I am delighted to hear the hotel described as one of the best in Huddersfield and that the food is always tremendous and that our team are polite and friendly and make you feel welcome.

We are incredibly lucky in having such excellent views from the hotel, both in summer and winter and hope the weather was kind enough for the views to be enjoyed.