“Good for couples or small groups”
Review of Discovery Bay

Discovery Bay
Ranked #58 of 574 Restaurants in Huddersfield
Cuisines: Caribbean, Jamaican
Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Birstall, United Kingdom
“Good for couples or small groups”
Reviewed November 11, 2013

Had a really nice meal here for a friend's leaving do from work. The food was lovely, very tasty and good portion sizes. It wasn't very expensive either as we went on a week night and ordered from the early bird menu. I had the sticky chicken wings and goat curry with rice and it was all very tasty. My only criticism is that there were around 12 of us there for a meal and we were all quite cramped as the restaurant is only small. The atmosphere and decoration could be a bit more Caribbean too, but we still enjoyed it. I'd recommend for couples or small groups, but definitely not for groups of over 6...unless you're very close of course!

• Visited August 2013

Chorley, United Kingdom
“First Experience of Carribean Cuisine”
Reviewed November 10, 2013

I hope it won't be the last however!!! I had never fancied salt cod but tried salt cod and ackee as a starter. It was delicious and tasted nothing like I expected. It came served on a dumpling which I thought I wouldn't like but it was really nice. I had goat curry afterwards which was very well flavoured almost chocolatey. My husband had chicken in rum sauce which was equally excellent. Would definitely visit again next time we are in the area.

Visited November 2013
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
“awwwwwww yeeeaaaahhhhhhh.........”
Reviewed November 3, 2013

I love this place. Do book ahead as we've seen people who turn up on the fly had to be turned away. And also book well in advance just not on the day they do get that busy! The food, it's just sooo nice.. Anything, pick anything, it's all so delicious. Especially the side order of sweet dumplings.

Visited November 2013
Liversedge
“Big Disappointment”
Reviewed October 20, 2013

I love Carribean food and only previously had this at our friend's house, whose home-cooked Jamaican food is delicious. Anyway really wanted to try professional Carribean food in a restaurant and booked this 2 months ago, based on reading mostly good reviews on here and as they were so busy.

We had ribs and beef patties to start, which were tasty followed by jerk chicken each, 2 portions of rice and peas plus a portion of dumplings. The food was nice, but there was just not enough of it i.e. the jerk chicken consisted of 1 piece of chicken leg with no breast with some sauce which was not at all spicy and a tiny bowl of rice each i would say maybe 100 g or less, so just glad we ordered the dumplings too. Anyway meal with 5 or 6 bottles of beer came to £53.00 which although not expensive to us as we eat out regularly at more expensive places did not feel value for money and we both felt hungry, which we never normally do even when we go to places and just have one course, so its not that we are greedy far from it. Also looked more like a cafe with formica tables than a restaurant. Anyway big disappointment with lack of spice and tiny portions, so we wont be returning.

• Visited October 2013
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
“So-so, Not my cup of T”
Reviewed October 6, 2013 via mobile

This was the first time I'd visited the restaurant and I'd hear good things about it. It was a Saturday night birthday meal out for a group of 10 of us. Firstly I didn't like the style or layout of the restaurant, the big stairs leading up to the bar were a bit daunting, especially when watching the waiting staff carry trays loaded with drinks down to the tables below! I cringe at the thought of a wrong step. Secondly I didn't like that there was no one to greet you on entry, granted this is a very compact restaurant and there isn't much room. The menu didn't have the biggest of choices especially seen as I'm a vegetarian. Sillily I ordered veg soup to start followed by veg curry...there wasn't much difference in taste apart from the addition of spices. The portions were good for me as I still had room afterwards for a night of drinking but for some of the lads in our group there just wasn't enough. I felt both meal and drinks were massively overpriced. The atmosphere was a bit flat for a Saturday night also. All in all everything was very average, I've decided I'm not a big fan of Jamaican food and I probably won't be visiting again. :(

Visited October 2013