“A taste of Jamaica in Yorkshire”
Review of Discovery Bay

Discovery Bay
Ranked #53 of 576 Restaurants in Huddersfield
Cuisines: Caribbean
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Leeds, United Kingdom
“A taste of Jamaica in Yorkshire”
Reviewed September 23, 2013

This very modern and friendly restaurant serves authentic West Indian food on square rock plates. The menu has all the old favourites with a modern, Yorkshire twist. They even have a jerk pork pie! The food really is very tasty, and whilst the portions are not huge, they are still filling. This restaurant is very popular and is often fully booked, so if you want to eat at the weekend, you may have to book quite sometime in advance. We had a two course meal for two with an extra starter, sides and two rounds of soft drinks, and the bill was £65. The food is not cheap, but it is worth it, I suspect it might be considered special occasion dining. However, there is an early bird menu and I think if I lived nearer, it would be one of my regular haunts. Give it a go, you will not be disappointed.

Huddersfield, United Kingdom
“Better than I expected! Great!”
Reviewed September 22, 2013

We visited as a party of 7 on Friday 20th September for a mate's birthday. We had been given an early sitting, paid a small deposit and pre-ordered our meals in advance of the evening. We were to be seated at 6:30pm, all of which seemed like good planning but made me wonder if things would feel regimented.
We arrived at the appointed hour and were sent up to the back of the restaurant to the settee area by the bar. Friendly, relaxed, well-informed staff welcomed us, got us drinks, suggested ideas for setting up tabs and checked out our friend's presents as she unwrapped them. Didn't feel at all rushed and we were seated after quite a lot of gassing, a beer and sampling some of Barrington's new bottled sauces with bits of cracker: mmm and maybe a good Christmas gift for Dad..?
The table felt fairly cramped with 4 of us along one side and 3 along the other. The décor was a bit industrial and bland: very beige-y with a few colourful pics (maybe to be a bit more upbeat next time it's due for a refurb?). The downstairs loos are GREAT: very smart and clean.. but as the birthday girl pointed out, lacking in a full-length vanity mirror in the ladies for self-conscious sisters.
Starters came out efficiently and correctly. And far more generously proportioned than I had been led to believe! I had the salt fish fritters (my first time, and a bit unsure) THEY WERE GREAT! tTsty, filling and the pineapple salsa worked so well that having got over my surprise I vowed to try it at home. The Scallops were fat, juicy and plentiful, beef patties looked great and the mixed starter looked fab and got good reviews.
Mains were suitably paced and arrived efficiently and hot. I tasted most of them and was pleased with them all. I had the garlic prawn starter (huge portion served in a scooped-out half pineapple) they were massive, succulent, nicely garlicky and despite the rather random coating of melted cheese which I would have been happier without, they were a great dish. I had them with a side of fried plantain which I was a bit nervous about as it was my childhood comfort-food when I was growing up in the Cote D'Ivoire, but it was like old times: gorgeously sweet, sticky, tasty plantain in a fair portion. MMMMMM
I tried the goat curry (mmmmm), the ??meat in a chocolatey sauce (not my thing but well done) and the meat was all sooooo tender and tasty. My friend didn't rave about her rice and peas but that's a really personal thing if you're used to cooking dishes at home. My partner loved his plain rice.
We paid £27 each for 2 courses and several drinks. Not bad I thought.
All in all it outstripped everyone's expectations. We were looking forward to going but had heard rumours of poor value for money and weren't sure about the cuisine. The waiting staff were patient and attentive.
Thanks for a lovely night, and for setting me up for a couple of cocktails at Vox with no hangover the next day!

Huddersfield, United Kingdom
“Very nice but not the wow factor we were expecting”
Reviewed September 16, 2013 via mobile

I have wanted to try discovery Bay for some time and decided to take the parents, we booked for the first sitting and upon entering the restaurant was quite dark. We were sat down and provided with menus. A couple of us decided to try the cocktails... The Cola cube was disappointing especially for the £5 price tag... It tasted like blackcurrant sweets. I ordered the crab cakes and they were beautiful but the salad leaves were limp and I felt the balsamic wasn't needed, their own hot sauce was much nicer. The tapas starter was lovely and my parents thoroughly enjoyed it... The ribs were melt in the mouth and the sauce was lovely. My husbands starter however wasnt as good... Jerk prawns... The prawns didn't look fresh and the were smothered in sweet chilli??? Disappointing. The mains were much nicer and tried the goat curry... Beautifully tender and well flavoured, although I think rather expensive. The roti main was amazing and the rest of my party enjoyed the mains. We polished it off with a rum each. All in all a good night but won't rush back. Small and dark restaurant and above average food but not the wow factor we were expecting.

Leeds, United Kingdom
“A Caribbean experience”
Reviewed September 14, 2013 via mobile

Good night out at the Discovery Bay with a taste of Caribbean in Huddersfield, lovely taste' well presented foods served in a Caribbean style. Service was attentive and friendly. Would certainly return to try some more of the dishes on the menu. Thanks to all for your hospitality.

Visited September 2013
1 Thank Peter S
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
“The best place to eat in Huddersfield!”
Reviewed September 5, 2013 via mobile

I've visited Discovery Bay quite a few times over the summer and I must say it's great! I went last night for the tea time special and had three courses for £13.95, brilliant. Each of the three course were really delicious, good portion sizes so I was rather full by the end. The staff are always welcoming, recommend dishes and offer to add a bit more of a kick to the less spicy dish which I ordered if I wanted. It always has a nice relaxed atmosphere and I've already booked a table for my next visit. A must try if you're looking for somewhere to eat in Huddersfield.