“Really enjoyed this meal”
Review of Discovery Bay

Discovery Bay
Ranked #57 of 574 Restaurants in Huddersfield
Cuisines: Caribbean, Jamaican
Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Delivery, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
West Yorkshire
“Really enjoyed this meal”
Reviewed January 21, 2013

This was a birthday meal with my son and his Dad. I have spent some time in Jamaica so was looking forwards to trying the food. I was given a free g&t because it was my birthday which was nice. We shared a mixed platter starter which was pleasant although a little heavy on the deep fried stuff was well presented. I had curried goat - the flavour was excellent although the sauce was darker than I remember and the meat off the bone (although most probably prefer it that way!). My son ate an adult portion of jerk chicken which he loved. I had a tia maria coffee and was surprised that the waitress did not know tia maria is from Jamaica. I quickly googled it (the wonders of modern technology) and discovered that it was sold to an Italian company a few years ago and may not be any more. Anyway, I would recommend this to anyone for a lovely night out more suited to small parties than big groups as it is intimate and pricy (although worth it).

• Visited January 2013

Huddersfield, United Kingdom
“ok a little overhyped”
Reviewed January 14, 2013

went there the 1st saturday of 2013 as part of my wifes 40th birthday celebrations and found the restaurant so so. I booked a table the week before on the phone and told them it was for my wives 40th and was offered a complimentary rum punch which was a nice touch i thought.
The meal itself i had the mango and mushroom starter my wife the fishcakes both i have to say was very good the main however i had the peppered steak (apparently the hottest main dish on the menu according to the waitress) was pretty bland to be honest not hot at all i didnt think and it was kind of scattered onto the plate, my wife had the honeyed beef and to the eye looked identical im not saying they were but in taste they were not miles apart either!
We ordered the house red which i had to ask twice for eventually the waitress brought over with two glasses and i was left to pour the drinks myself, the complimentary rum punch i also had to remind of but in fairness the waitress apologised and made two one for me also so cant complain however shouldnt of really had to ask and likewise then they wouldnt of felt obliged to give drinks away. Dont think i will be rushing back

• Visited January 2013
Halifax, United Kingdom
“First 'timer'”
Reviewed January 10, 2013

Having had a long term wish to try Carribean food it was with some expectation we visited Discovery Bay. To be fair I had no experience of this type of food so went with an open mind. I fully take on board the comments of those people who are more knowledgaeble about Carribean cuisine. However, the overall experience was positive, the cocktails were delightful and I only wished that others in the party had been willing to try more! i found the staff helpful without being intrusive and the whole experience one that I would wish to repeat.

• Visited December 2012
Huddersfield
“Jamaica”
Reviewed December 11, 2012

we love to have a meal at discovery bay it's clean and the staff are very friendly it's reminds use of wen we go on holiday to Jamaica

• Visited September 2012
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Sort the service out!!!”
Reviewed December 3, 2012 via mobile

I know its a carribean restaurant and its about the laid back vibe but the service is shocking. lazy lazy lazy! We booked a few hours in advance and explained we had both a disabled guest and a blind guest and were assured it wouldnt be a problem but on arrival were ushered up the steps to the bar (my disabled pal managed to just make it) we ordered two jugs of rum punch and waited and waited and waited eventually we got them after being moved back down the steps to a table by the door to the loos and then after ordering the taster menu being moved again to a larger table. The food was great but we waited an age between courses with our plates left on the table. The kitchen wasnt at fault they kept bobbing up I presume because the wanted to send our next course out the staff however seemed more interested in booking their hair braiding appointment. I would return for the food in a heartbeat but the service...... I wonder if they do take away?????

1 Thank yorkshireatlast