“Lovely hotel shame about the bacon!”
Review of Cambridge Hotel

Cambridge Hotel
Ranked #4 of 17 Hotels in Huddersfield
“Lovely hotel shame about the bacon!”
Reviewed January 6, 2013

Stayed for one night on 5th January to meet up with friends who live nearby. Arrived and given our room, however, room smelled strongly of cigarette smoke. Rang reception and someone came straight to room, apologised and moved us to another room and gave us two complimentary drinks! Room lovely, very clean, hair dryer, iron and ironing board, fridge, lovely big bed, tv, nice bathroom, excellent shower. Nice friendly staff. Free parking, internet and safe. When we went for breakfast we were told that there was no bacon as hotel does not usually have many people staying at this time of year?!!! Bit disappointed as hotel aware of how many guests have booked and paid for full English breakfast. My advice - pop to shops and buy some! However, in spite of this would not hesitate to recommend this hotel and would stay here again.

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank EMRichy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
glasgow
Reviewed December 21, 2012

This hotel had great reviews on Trip Advisor and we chose it over a long established hotel. This hotel is up a side street in a very unattractive location. The rooms are very well appointed and everything has been thought of in the room. However the main areas are blingy and noisy. Breakfast is plentiful and cooked to order but laminated menus with pictures and paper mats are unattractive. This hotel appeals to a young group and they were very noisy on Saturday night. The staff are helpful but I would not recommend this hotel to a mature couple.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank susanwalsh
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 17, 2012

As I work for a large hotel chain I am probably more critical than the average guest. However I could not fault this hotel in any way. Only stayed 1 night on my way to Liverpool from Newcastle and found the warm welcome and friendly service superb . A very newly refurbished hotel which is clean, modern and comfortable. Breakfast was also very enjoyable. Plenty of choice and the staff went out of there way to make sure you had everything you requried. Complimentary parking and rates inclusive of breakfast made this stay pleasant in every way.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Annette D
Merthyr Tydfil, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 9, 2012

Stayed 1 night 8th Dec. Excellent Hotel; room finished to a very good standard, with large comfortable bed, fridge, hairdryer and large TV. Spotlessly clean bathroom with piping hot water.
Good, full English breakfast. Very friendly staff.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Taffy061
England
Reviewed December 9, 2012 via mobile

My partner, my daughter & best friend were attending a wedding nearby and so needed a place to get changed & sleep. Upon booking they didn't have any single rooms for my friend so I called the hotel & spoke to DJ and he suggested we book the quad room. I also explained that I needed an early check in as the wedding began at 1pm. He assured me this would be no issue. On the day we arrived we checked in at 12 (no extra cost) and was shown to our room. We had two double beds and one single. The room was perfect. It had hanging space, iron, hair dryer, tv, tea and coffee making facilities and huge fridge. The only complaint I do have is there was hardly any toilet roll and we ran out. The room was clean and cosy. Shower was fab. We had breakfast included - this was served between 7&10. There was fresh fruit, cereals, toast, full English breakfast (which was amazing), coffee, selection of teas (which was fab) and juices!! Check out was 11am. But for £20 you could stay till 2pm. It Cost £100 for the 4 of us!
Staff were friendly and I would most certainly return if I needed to be in the area again.

• Stayed December 2012
Shanklin
Reviewed December 7, 2012 via mobile

What a hidden gem this hotel is. Arrived very late 1020pm, asked for room service and was surprised to be told, no problem at all menus in the room. Food was basic but superb and sensibly priced, very comfortable room indeed, excellent and tastefully decorated, extremely clean, bathroom immaculate, would recommend this hotel to anybody. Breakfast was hearty and nicely cooked, everything there you would ever want. Staff polite, smart, helpful and seemed to enjoy their work. Top marks guys, keep up the good work. Far nicer than any Holiday Inn, Hilton, or Crown Plazas.

Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
UK
Reviewed December 5, 2012

Staying on business in Huddersfield I chose to try somewhere new as the usual hotel I used had gone down the 'faded elegance' route.
I chose this hotel purely on the reviews here and was not disappointed. For an overnight stay with breakfast and just a five or 10 minute walk from the railway station I paid £45.

I can’t remember when I was shown to a room and who carried my overnight bag. A nice touch.

The room I had, number 31, was well finished and looked as if it might be in a new wing. Excellent shower room - fully tiled and sparkling clean. One tiny, tiny niggle was that there was no shelf for toiletries in the shower cubicle.
The room had what looked like a king or super king sized bed which was comfortable, and supportive without being hard. Full sized fridge, iron and ironing board and internet connection. There was good free wifi available in the room as well. To finish off was a good hospitality tray.

No view as it was in the eaves with a velux window but with good headroom and on a winters night I wasn’t there for the view.

Whilst there was a bar and dining area I ate out in town with friends. The dining area is a bit cafeteria style, no issue but not what I’d call a restaurant but no complaints about the breakfast which was cooked to order and was excellent. Choice of cereals, fruit and yogurts and then a cooked breakfast of your choice really. In fact I’m sure I heard someone having breakfast delivered so they may do room service.

All the staff are friendly and helpful and when I had problems locking the room safe they were there within minutes of my call to reception.

It’s a well managed hotel with good facilities styled on premier inn/ Travelodge concept but with a family feel to it and as I’ve said before helpful staff. All the public areas looked either refurbished or new and well maintained.

They deserve to do well. I would stay again.

Room Tip: If walking from the railway station turn right at the George Hotel and follow the main road and its...