“Excellent”
Review of Cambridge Hotel

Cambridge Hotel
Ranked #4 of 17 Hotels in Huddersfield
Reviewed December 17, 2012

As I work for a large hotel chain I am probably more critical than the average guest. However I could not fault this hotel in any way. Only stayed 1 night on my way to Liverpool from Newcastle and found the warm welcome and friendly service superb . A very newly refurbished hotel which is clean, modern and comfortable. Breakfast was also very enjoyable. Plenty of choice and the staff went out of there way to make sure you had everything you requried. Complimentary parking and rates inclusive of breakfast made this stay pleasant in every way.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Annette D
There are newer reviews for Cambridge Hotel

Reviewed December 9, 2012

Stayed 1 night 8th Dec. Excellent Hotel; room finished to a very good standard, with large comfortable bed, fridge, hairdryer and large TV. Spotlessly clean bathroom with piping hot water.
Good, full English breakfast. Very friendly staff.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Taffy061
Reviewed December 9, 2012 via mobile

My partner, my daughter & best friend were attending a wedding nearby and so needed a place to get changed & sleep. Upon booking they didn't have any single rooms for my friend so I called the hotel & spoke to DJ and he suggested we book the quad room. I also explained that I needed an early check in as the wedding began at 1pm. He assured me this would be no issue. On the day we arrived we checked in at 12 (no extra cost) and was shown to our room. We had two double beds and one single. The room was perfect. It had hanging space, iron, hair dryer, tv, tea and coffee making facilities and huge fridge. The only complaint I do have is there was hardly any toilet roll and we ran out. The room was clean and cosy. Shower was fab. We had breakfast included - this was served between 7&10. There was fresh fruit, cereals, toast, full English breakfast (which was amazing), coffee, selection of teas (which was fab) and juices!! Check out was 11am. But for £20 you could stay till 2pm. It Cost £100 for the 4 of us!
Staff were friendly and I would most certainly return if I needed to be in the area again.

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed December 7, 2012

What a hidden gem this hotel is. Arrived very late 1020pm, asked for room service and was surprised to be told, no problem at all menus in the room. Food was basic but superb and sensibly priced, very comfortable room indeed, excellent and tastefully decorated, extremely clean, bathroom immaculate, would recommend this hotel to anybody. Breakfast was hearty and nicely cooked, everything there you would ever want. Staff polite, smart, helpful and seemed to enjoy their work. Top marks guys, keep up the good work. Far nicer than any Holiday Inn, Hilton, or Crown Plazas.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed December 5, 2012

Staying on business in Huddersfield I chose to try somewhere new as the usual hotel I used had gone down the 'faded elegance' route.
I chose this hotel purely on the reviews here and was not disappointed. For an overnight stay with breakfast and just a five or 10 minute walk from the railway station I paid £45.

I can’t remember when I was shown to a room and who carried my overnight bag. A nice touch.

The room I had, number 31, was well finished and looked as if it might be in a new wing. Excellent shower room - fully tiled and sparkling clean. One tiny, tiny niggle was that there was no shelf for toiletries in the shower cubicle.
The room had what looked like a king or super king sized bed which was comfortable, and supportive without being hard. Full sized fridge, iron and ironing board and internet connection. There was good free wifi available in the room as well. To finish off was a good hospitality tray.

No view as it was in the eaves with a velux window but with good headroom and on a winters night I wasn’t there for the view.

Whilst there was a bar and dining area I ate out in town with friends. The dining area is a bit cafeteria style, no issue but not what I’d call a restaurant but no complaints about the breakfast which was cooked to order and was excellent. Choice of cereals, fruit and yogurts and then a cooked breakfast of your choice really. In fact I’m sure I heard someone having breakfast delivered so they may do room service.

All the staff are friendly and helpful and when I had problems locking the room safe they were there within minutes of my call to reception.

It’s a well managed hotel with good facilities styled on premier inn/ Travelodge concept but with a family feel to it and as I’ve said before helpful staff. All the public areas looked either refurbished or new and well maintained.

They deserve to do well. I would stay again.

Room Tip: If walking from the railway station turn right at the George Hotel and follow the main road and its...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed December 1, 2012

This hotel was originally a Bed and Breakfast business but the family which owns it invested wisely and extended it considerably. The rooms are tastefully furnished with good quality fixtures and fittings. When I stayed, winter had arrived with a vengeance but the heating was more than able to cope. This may seem a strange thing to comment on but it was the third hotel I had stayed in in as many days and with the other two the heating went off at about 10.30 pm. Mine was a business trip and I have lost count of the number of hotels I have stayed in where the provision of a desk chair seems to have been an afterthought with no consideration given to comfort when sitting typing for extended periods. Although not a swivel chair and not adjustable for height, for me the desk chair was perfect, the best I have come across in any hotel on 3 continents. As a previous reviewer wrote the restaurant seems a little like a canteen with the open plan kitchen dining area, but I rather liked the idea that the owners were confident enough of the quality of their kitchen staff that their actions were on display. I would definitely recommend this to anyone looking for a hotel at value for money prices.

Room Tip: Wifi is good and e-mail would work on my laptop computer but not on my i-pad
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 25, 2012

This was our third stay at this hotel, and they now have a bar and restaurant, which we did not get to sample, as we had already made plans for the evening we were there.
When we stayed in March this year, they were still working on their new wing - now up and running.
The decor is brilliant, the beds comfy. Breakfast excellent value.
We really would recommend this hotel, which is walking distance from the town centre.

Room Tip: any. None have any views to speak of. We have not suffered any disturbances, although if near a cor...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple