“Average to Mediocre”

Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed June 4, 2013

visit time 12:oo-14oo Sunday
6 Persons for Sunday lunch
Food is fantastic value for the money
three courses for under a tenner.

what let's the place down is the staff attitude.
on the menu it states please ask the staff for details of what's available for the choice of sunday roasts.
When I asked the waitress(who I think is the manager/landlords wife) what was available, she snapped back that it was written on the board and had I not read it.
a simple explanation would have been much more polite.

Another let down is if you sit in the back room adjacent the railway station platform you can see right into the kitchen/prep area and see the washing up/food disposal area of the kitchen as the door is never closed.

just sort out your standards and I'm sure you'd be busier.

2  Thank GastroSpy

Reviewed April 17, 2013

My friend and I stopped here on the way home from a photo shoot in Manchester, we had a couple of drinks and the lady behind the bar was very helpful, she helped me to the table with the drinks as we both had suitcases. I'm not quite sure who the bad comment was from below as all I can say is that the lady behind the bar was lovely and far from rude. Looking forward to returning again to a friendly pub!

1  Thank Kate S
Reviewed April 12, 2013

A great venue with home made food, a choice to behold.A selection of beer pump badges to hold the attention of any bright beer buff. A minimum of at least 10 guest ales plus cider(yes even scrumpy) Decorated with an array of vintage "advertisement enamels" and old railway names and signs BUT to top the lot are the impeccable,happy faced, service with a smile, and knowledgeable staff headed by Vanessa who's attention to detail is wonderful. This is the 3rd time our group have met here and whilst this visit was just 12 of us,we have previously held our Christmas Lunch(30+ of us) and a birthday party for our oldest members 70th(35 of us) and every time Vanessa has come up trumps with arrangements. This venue does everything from Breakfast to evening meals.Cannot praise it highly enough. One word of warning though it's so good-- don't miss your train!!!!!!!!!!! Tickets please!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2  Thank JohnB1909
Reviewed April 9, 2013

This was a stop off on the Pennine Ale Trail for us. We are not young idiots, we are all over 40 with responsible jobs and an appreciation of a good pub which serves good beer. I decided not to have a drink here as I wanted to have a break. I was met with a filthy look from a 'lady' behind the bar who I later assumed to be the manager/owner. My husband and friend both bought drinks. We sat down. There was another group of gentlemen in the room, who, I guess were waiting for a train, or a least it seemed so from the barrage of abuse that the aforementioned 'lady' screeched at them as they were not drinking up quick enough to make it to the platform. "Did they really want to catch the train?" Not my words. They all scuttled out on to the platform, none of them seemed worse for wear! My husband, who has a passion for beer and also writes about it was taking pictures of the place. The 'lady' said "It's OK, you can take pictures" in a very sarcastic and rude manner. All in all not a good experience. Avoid at all costs and head for The King's Head instead where you will be welcomed with open arms. This is a real shame as the interior of the pub is beautiful and this place could be awesome.

1  Thank natstef
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Where to meet our friends from Lancashire? Our choice proved to be a good one. It was a Saturday, Huddersfield Town were at home, the sun was shining and there was a carnival air around the Station Square. After re-[ocating our cars, (there is a one hour limit on the short stay car park), we entered the premises a little after 2.30. There was still a lively atmosphere, clearly those remaining were not match goers. An attentive waitress soon had us seated and brought drinks whilst we perused the extensive menu. we were in no rush and were not rushed. The food came piping hot and more than substantial. This is pub food of a high quality, the four of us enjoyed our selected dish.

2  Thank FitzSue