“Great hotel”

Ranked #8 of 25 Hotels in Luton
Merthyr Tydfil, South Wales
“Great hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2010

Stayed for 1 night (Saturday). Needed a cot in our room and another room nearby for an eldery relative. We were allocated adjoining rooms on the ground floor of the Flower Garden Wing and this suited our requirements perfectly. Every member of staff we met was friendly and helpful. The rooms were of a very high standard and were spotlessly clean, and ours had French doors which opened onto a patio area and secluded communal lawn. We didn't dine at the hotel but breakfast was of high quality and relaxed.

Luton Hoo is an excellent hotel and we would be more than happy to stay here again.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
, Manager at Luton Hoo Hotel Golf and Spa, responded to this review, May 18, 2010
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your feedback and we are pleased that you found our staff to be friendly and helpful.

We place great value on surpassing guests expectations and quality of service is one of the most important factors, determined of course by the performance of our staff.

Your comments will be relayed to the team at Luton Hoo, including our housekeeping department who will be delighted to hear your praise for their high standards.

In the meantime we very much look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel on a future occasion.

Quality Assurance and Development Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (335)
  • Turkish first
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2010

Just a 24 hour stay for a romantic break on a prebooked package.

The whole hotel (multiple buildings) has been refurbished to a very high standard and staff are a credit (unlike mentioned in earlier reviews).

They use retired London taxis to ferry people between buildings (very British !!).

Spa is also great with a lovely pool and sauna and steam room.

Food at lunch time was an eye watering £14.95 for a ploughmans and had to wait but it was midday so put this down to kitchen overload.

Evening meal choices were a little uninspiring but wine was good as was service.

Breakfast also good even though self service.

So overall great so far until we talk about guest technology ......

They have a "modern" IP TV system rather than Freeview that only offers a limited number of channels (25) and no teletext.

They offer a selection of free CDs on demand but no movies, no view my bill.

Picture suffers from terrible jitter and breaks up regularly - the scrolling scores at bottom of Sky Sports News jittering away started to make me sick after a while !

Toshiba TV is a standard consumer TV WITH FREEVIEW built in so why didn't hotel just offer Freeview (with hotel content channels added in) rather IP TV (bad consultant advice ?)

Yes - you can use Internet for 15 minutes for free via TV using wireless keyboard but then they want to pay £20 !!!! for 12:00 to 11:59 next day access !!!

Wifi - Na - only in public areas !!

The in room desk phone is a pointless IP phone without added content so doesn't do anything that a plain old digital phone would do.

Leaving the best bit to last (!!)

Both the IP TV box (green) and the desk IP phone (red) offer a spectacular night time show as they flash away all night which can be very offputting in an otherwise dark room.

So yes great for a leasure break but the guest technology just hasn't been thought through to be what business guests want (Wifi and Freeview) at a reasonable price to be a serious modern business hotel.

The night time light show proves that the IT guys often don't get what is important for guests to enjoy a comfortable restful stay.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2010

Taken to Luton Hoo for one night birthday treat. Lovely grounds and setting. We mountain biked, swam and walked all over. Gold course looked good also. DInner in the main restaurant was excellent; the staff were very obliging and couldn't have been more helpful. The service in the restaurant was better than Claridges, which I visited a few days previously.
Only faults - no sports/movie channels (unacceptable for a 5 star hotel) and no water dispenser in the swimming pool area. There was also no WIFI and internet access costs extra - again, not acceptable. I still loved the hotel though

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your balanced feedback; we are pleased that you appear to have taken full advantage of our 1,000 acre Estate!

Please accept my apologies for the delay in responding to your comments, for which we are most grateful.

I am delighted to confirm that our Concierge are able to provide a wide selection of movies on demand, including several well known productions that were filmed at Luton Hoo. In addition, water dispensers have been installed within both the male and female poolside changing rooms.

Whilst Wi-Fi is available within our public areas, we do heed all the constructive criticisms that you have made, as we are constantly striving to find ways to further enhance the Luton Hoo experience to meet our guests needs.

Your compliments with regard to the service received in the Wernher Restaurant will be much appreciated by our team and we would certainly recommend the golf course, which has become an established favourite amongst guests and locals alike.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to share your observations and we look forward to being of service to you again in the future.

warwickshire, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2010

We stayed at Luton Hoo for one night in February. We were lucky to be upgraded to a larger room, which was nicely decorated and clean.

We ate in the brasserie, the menu had an excellent wide choice, both food and service were excellent. I can also recommend a cocktail in the bar - one of the best mojitos ever!

The main purpose of our visit was to spend a day relaxing in the spa facilities. We were slightly disappointed in the size of the gym and swimming pool, which was quite busy, and not very relaxing as there were lots of children irunning around n the pool area. Though thats not the hotels fault, and this is not a complaint, if you are booking for a relaxing spa day, you might want to check when you book if there are any childrens events on when you want to come.

The therapists were really good as well, so I would definitely come here again for a spa break, though it is much more expensive than other spa breaks I have been on, so I would say that it is not the best value for money around.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends
, Manager at Luton Hoo Hotel Golf and Spa, responded to this review, June 21, 2010
Dear Reviewer

We are glad that you enjoyed your residential experience with us but take on board the points raised regarding the popularity of our leisure facilities.

In response to feedback, we have now taken the opportunity to review our hours of operation for children to ensure that we are able to accommodate the needs of all our guests and provide a relaxing environment. Please accept our apologies for the delay in responding to these observations.

It is pleasing to note that our therapists deserved praise for the quality of their treatments and we will ensure that these comments are passed on to them. Likewise, our chefs, food and bar service team within the Adam's Brasserie will be delighted to hear that the cuisine, service and Mojito were to your liking!

This opportunity to review guest satisfaction is invaluable and we would like to thank you for taking the time to evaluate your visit and for sharing this information to enable us to assess our performance and improve where necessary.

UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2010

Went to the Hotel for our 16th wedding anniversary. We would not have been able to go if it were not for the fantastic 2 for 1 winter special which involved eating at the Werner restaurant for both nights - which was not a problem as the food was fantastic. Great room in the main part of the hotel. Fantasitc linen and pillows! and I have never tasted better (and hotter) coffee ever! Great breakfast with everything you could want. My advice is that firstly, if you are going to have a relaxing weekend then calm down and relax - I don't like people hovering and if it means that I need to wait 5 minutes to get someone's attention then it is worth it. Secondly, if you can, go during the week. If I could change anything then it would have been to go during the week, purely so that I could have the library and fire place to myself but then again, the atmosphere in the dining rooms would have been different. No, actually wouldn't change a thing. Please Luton Hoo, find a way to continue your two for one special. Oh - amazing swiming pool.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
, Manager at Luton Hoo Hotel Golf and Spa, responded to this review, May 26, 2010
Dear Reviewer

Firstly, please accept my apologies for the delayed acknowledgement.

We were delighted to receive such fantastic feedback following your 16th wedding anniversary celebration at Luton Hoo in March.

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and we very much look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel at some point in the not too distant future.

UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2010

My husband surprised me with a stay on Saturday night on a special Valentine's package. We stayed in one of the Flower Garden rooms near to the spa and brasserie, and had dinner in Adam's Brasserie. The room was beautifully furnished and decorated, very spacious, with lovely Jo Malone products, huge fluffy towels and bathrobes.

The driveway up to the house is impressive, with pheasants all over the place, and the Reception staff were extremely polite and efficient.

The spa facilities are superb - with a fantastic thalassotherapy pool next to the swimming pool, great steam room and saunas. It did not feel crowded either, it was very relaxing.

The food and the service at dinner was amazing. Couldn't fault it, and the package included a glass of champagne, different wines to accompany each course, and a rose to take away at the end - bit cheesy but very nice touch!

Breakfast in the morning was a buffet, and was again of a very high standard.

This was the BEST surprise weekend away in the UK and I can't wait to go back.

Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
london
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2010

I took my elderly father to Lutton Hoo for Xmas (5 days 4 nights). We stayed in the mansion house. I had little choice because my father can't travel far due to his health so being just a few minutes taxi drive from Luton Parkway train station made it ideal. I was not however, confident, having read the mixed reviews - so I went with some trepidation. I am well travelled both inside and outside the UK, and I am used to five star hotels and luxury country homes; I am also rather picky and notice detail. I was so pleasantly surprised by my experience at Luton Hoo - so much so that I am returning in June this year and again next Xmas. The peacefulness is created by the thousands of acres of grounds within which the house stands, all beautifully cared for - and the calm and quiet attentiveness of the staff for whom nothing was too much trouble. The architecture is charming and the old mansion house is decorated with great taste and style; it is rather grand and very luxurious but the team excelled in making us feel relaxed - so despite its size and beauty one felt very at home. The decor standard was as impressive at the far extreams of the house as it was in the very fine reception hall. The food was of the highest restaurant quality; the chef is creative and pays great attention to presentation as well as taste - the choices were varied and ingredients were of excellent quality. The soups, broths and liquid amuse bouche were amongst the best I have ever tasted. The wine list is excellent, the white Beaune is outstanding. The service throughout was as helpful as it is possible to be; friendly, considerate and professional - but not fussy. I had 2 spa treatments both of which were very good indeed. The bedrooms were very spacious, spotlessely clean, packed full of delightful bathroom products, thoughtfully decorated and possessed of wonderful views - we were given a tour of some of the large suites before our departure and they were outstanding in terms off size and decor. Great kindness was shown to my elderly father, which was of particular impoprtance ot me. It was one of the most delightful few days that I have spent in a hotel for a very long time - I am a great user of trip adviser and I find it really useful but this time I was puzzled, I recognised nothing of the negative comments - I had 5 days to be picky and all I found was a truly charming first class treat.

• Stayed December 2009
Also consider these accommodations in or near Luton
Sopwell House
Icon Hotel Luton
#4 of 25 in Luton
Holiday Inn Luton - South M1, Jct 9
Hilton Garden Inn Luton North

Been to Luton Hoo Hotel Golf and Spa? Share your experiences!