“Pure indulgence”

Luton Hoo Hotel Golf and Spa
Ranked #8 of 26 Hotels in Luton
Reviewed October 1, 2013

For a very special occasion a night at Luton Hoo is a real treat. The mansion house itself is steeped in history and the room that I stayed in, in the Parkland wing, was stunning. Although a standard room it was huge, with its own lounge area. The bed was really comfy with quality linen and the bathroom was divine - his and hers basins, a shower and bath and indulgent toiletries. The grounds are stunning and a stroll was the perfect thing to do following the generous breakfast. Staff are courteous and attentive. Although it is pricey, the special package I booked was well worth it.

1  Thank Jan C
MLong8001, General Manager at Luton Hoo Hotel Golf and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2013

Dear Reviewer,

May I say what a delight it was to read your review; may I thank you for sharing the benefit of your experience here at Luton Hoo. The Management team and staff are committed to providing the very best service and a 5* experience for all our guests, every day. Therefore it is most reassuring that we exceeded your expectations on this occasion. Your positive feedback will be shared with our staff, who I know will take great satisfaction from your comments.

I do hope we shall have the pleasure of your company again very soon.

There are newer reviews for Luton Hoo Hotel Golf and Spa

Reviewed October 1, 2013

Service was extremely courteous, friendly and efficient. It was professional but at the same time personal. We struck up conversations with several members of staff who seemed to like the fact that we bothered to talk to them and not just see them as nameless or faceless people to be ignored.

The room was beautiful and we couldn't fault the facilities.

The Clubhouse - i.e. pool, jacuzzi, sauna, etc. was good. Not exceptional - I have been in one or two which were fairly amazing - but perfectly fine. I liked the fact that there were windows to the outside world rather than being in a basement. The treatments were nice and the staff, again, friendly and efficient in the spa. All that calming music can drive you a bit mad, mind you.........!

Afternoon tea was very good. I liked the fact that the sandwiches were all on different types of bread and they were tasty. The scones were fresh and delicious. I think a better quality jam could fit into the budget. Also a selection of cakes rather than the same three for every person being served would also be recommended. More choice for a high price, please, especially given the popularity of the afternoon tea and the number of people who have booked. Economy of scale could be stretched for what is really fairly easy money.

I would certainly go back to Luton Hoo and recommend it, but would not have the tasting menu again.

Room Tip: We were staying in a Junior Suite in the Mansion and decided it was worth paying a little extra for...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to place a review on Trip Advisor. I am delighted that you enjoyed our hotel and facilities and that your visit was almost faultless; thank you for your valued custom.

I am most pleased you enjoyed afternoon tea and would like to thank you for your constructive feedback regarding the quality of the jam and selection of cakes, which will be discussed with our Executive Chef in order that we may make any improvements. Without any details relating to the tasting menu, I am unable to make any comment. However, I will highlight your comment with our Executive Chef.

I note that you will be returning to Luton Hoo and look forward to the pleasure of your company.

Reviewed September 30, 2013

This is a truly beautiful hotel set in spacious grounds in some fantastic countryside. Our room was extremely spacious with a king-size bed, dressing table and chair, drop-leaf table and dining chairs and three-piece suite of furniture. The view over the formal gardens (originally designed by Capability Brown) and out over the countryside was inspiring. The en-suite bathroom had his and hers sinks as well as a 'jacuzzi' feature in the bath. The hotel has provided the setting for a number of films including 'Four Weddings and a Funeral' and the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh even spent part of their honeymoon here.

We stayed here as part of a conference package. All the food we were served was very good and the breakfasts were excellent.

The only reason I've rated the hotel as 'very good' rather than 'excellent' is that the atmosphere was just a little too formal for my personal preference. One or two of the staff came across as a little cold although I'm sure they were just trying to maintain a more refined and dignified approach to service. Men are required to wear either a tie or a jacket to eat in the main restaurant although an alternative restaurant is also available. Most of the guests, as well as those attending for afternoon tea, seemed to dress quite smartly most of the time and I did feel a little out of place in my jeans and t-shirt on occasions. That said, I really did enjoy staying here and if you're looking for something grand and slightly formal then you'll love it.

Room Tip: We were told by the receptionist who accompanied us to our room that each of the rooms in the mansio...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to place a review on Trip Advisor and for sharing the benefit of your experience here at Luton Hoo. We are indeed certainly privileged to have such a beautiful and vast estate. Since our opening as a hotel, we have tried to keep the décor in line with its long and colourful history. Thank you for your feedback relating to our staff which I will review in order that we may make any improvements in this area.

I do hope we shall have the pleasure of your company again very soon.

Reviewed September 30, 2013

After reading reviews on here having already made and paid for my own booking I was feeling a little worried about my stay here ....however greeted at reception by a friendly young lady who stayed calm and smiling even after dealing with another guest who was rude and annoying .....
She accompanied us to our room which was large and very nicely decorated I am not a fan of traditional hotels but this was a pleasant surprise as it was not too stuffy or over the top . We had a separate seating area and a large bathroom with seperate bath and walk in shower and of course the Molton brown products were a pleasant and welcome extra .

The setting is of course stunning and most surprising for Luton.

Drinks in the Adams bar and dinner in the brasserie were most enjoyable the staff were all friendly and the busy brasserie had a good atmosphere and was good value the main restaurant did look rather grand and formal but then it's a question of horses for courses.

Breakfast in the main restaurant was of very good standard lots of variety and of good quality lovely dining room with a great view ....the only part of the meal that was waited on was the serving of tea and toast which was unfortunately really slow ...

As a couple on a golf trip it made a pleasant change to be in an atmosphere that was mixed rather than a place full of "blokey golfers" on a jolly up ....there was a large group staying here but fortunately at night they were kept out of sight ....shame that there were not kept of the golf course as well !!!!!

On that note the only downside of this stay was that the tee times were maxed out probably due to a party of 40 so called golfers .....the need of a course marshall was very apparent as slow play on both days of our stay spoilt our golf as any golfer knows waiting on every tee is not good .....four balls were not allowing two balls through ......the four ball were members and obviously think they play by different rules and the "society" were not only generally of a bad standard but had three guys on a buggy.....one hanging of the back like a kid sharing two sets of clubs although the young guys in the pro shop made the appropriate apologies there really should have been a course Marshall out there speeding things up and or removing certain players .....

The London cabs used to ferry guest around is a great idea and anyone on here who complains is rather silly this service is free and a little fun so lighten up !!!!

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to place a review on Trip Advisor and for sharing the benefit of your experience here at Luton Hoo. I am pleased you found the hotel and its grounds to be stunning; a country retreat in the heart of Bedfordshire, in over 1000 acres of landscaped gardens and parkland, with the Mansion House emerging through the trees as Capability Brown had intended all those years ago.

May I thank you for your constructive feedback relating to the services of a course marshal, which will be addressed at our Management meeting. I am sorry to note that your experience on the golf course was not as enjoyable as it should have been due to the presence of a large party on the day; your comments will be highlighted with our Golf Manager.

I do hope we shall have the pleasure of your company again very soon, when you can be assured of our personal attention.

Reviewed September 29, 2013

We stay for dinner and overnight for a restful stay. Superb surroundings. Great service from personable staff, food excellent. People work hard to ensure that you are happy. We had a cocktail before the meal. The quality of wine by the glass was very good. Staff attentive although restaurant became busy. Breakfast always excellent - best poached eggs I have ever had.

1  Thank Susan D

Dear Reviewer,

It was a delight to read your review; thank you for taking the time to share your experience following your visit to Luton Hoo. The Management team and staff are committed to providing the very best service and a 5* experience for all our guests, every day. Therefore it is most reassuring that we exceeded your expectations on this occasion.

Your positive feedback will be shared with the staff you mention; who I know will take great satisfaction from your comments.

We look forward to welcoming you back again very soon, when you can be assured of our personal attention.

Reviewed September 29, 2013

I don't normally bother to write reviews, but I feel compelled to add my voice to warnings about this place already placed by others on this site. My wife treated me to a birthday dinner in the Wernher restaurant after she enjoyed having a positive experience at a recent corporate event here. What a disappointment!

The venue is stunning, but that's about as good as it gets. The restaurant itself has less atmosphere than a morgue. The food is eye-wateringly expensive, but actually somewhat ordinary. Some staff are very slick and professional, but others clearly lack training - eg, main course being served before we'd finished the starters and bread having to be asked for. At these prices, this is unforgivable. Also, the waiter failed to pull my wife's chair out for her when she first sat down. I know some might find this a petty quibble, but this place charges top dollar and doesn't deliver.

Anyway, to cut a Long story short, we calculated that we had spent £160 on two courses and a round of drinks at the bar. Still feeling hungry (minuscule portions), we cut our losses and left to get some chips and go to the Cross Keys in Harpenden for a pint or two.

Want a good dinner in relaxed, but stylish surroundings by people who know what they're doing? Try St Michael's Manor in St Albans instead.

Reviewed September 25, 2013

This was gift of champagne afternoon tea for two. Beautiful old hotel but afternoon was appalling. Sandwiches were stale and dry and the fillings were unidentifiable slop! My cream puffs had no cream, the scones were so dry they needed lots of tea to swallow them. Very disappointed, especially as this was a birthday gift from a dear friend. Only highlight was a glass of orange juice which was lovely.
Give this place a miss for afternoon tea, my complaint to the manager is in the post!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank thebyre

Dear Reviewer,

I was alarmed to read your review regarding afternoon tea here at Luton Hoo. I am very sorry to note that we did not reach your expectations. Luton Hoo is proud to have established an enviable reputation for the quality of its afternoon tea. The significant growth in terms of volume of business since our opening is testament to this success. I therefore heed your feedback and deeply regret you were not able to highlight your concerns with a member of the Management Team at the time in order that we could address this immediately.

Matthew Long

Also consider these accommodations in or near Luton
Sopwell House
The Leaside Hotel
#4 of 26 in Luton
Hampton by Hilton London Luton Airport
Holiday Inn Express Luton Airport

Been to Luton Hoo Hotel Golf and Spa? Share your experiences!