“Golf break”

Ranked #8 of 25 Hotels in Luton
London, United Kingdom
“Golf break”
Reviewed September 30, 2013

After reading reviews on here having already made and paid for my own booking I was feeling a little worried about my stay here ....however greeted at reception by a friendly young lady who stayed calm and smiling even after dealing with another guest who was rude and annoying .....
She accompanied us to our room which was large and very nicely decorated I am not a fan of traditional hotels but this was a pleasant surprise as it was not too stuffy or over the top . We had a separate seating area and a large bathroom with seperate bath and walk in shower and of course the Molton brown products were a pleasant and welcome extra .

The setting is of course stunning and most surprising for Luton.

Drinks in the Adams bar and dinner in the brasserie were most enjoyable the staff were all friendly and the busy brasserie had a good atmosphere and was good value the main restaurant did look rather grand and formal but then it's a question of horses for courses.

Breakfast in the main restaurant was of very good standard lots of variety and of good quality lovely dining room with a great view ....the only part of the meal that was waited on was the serving of tea and toast which was unfortunately really slow ...

As a couple on a golf trip it made a pleasant change to be in an atmosphere that was mixed rather than a place full of "blokey golfers" on a jolly up ....there was a large group staying here but fortunately at night they were kept out of sight ....shame that there were not kept of the golf course as well !!!!!

On that note the only downside of this stay was that the tee times were maxed out probably due to a party of 40 so called golfers .....the need of a course marshall was very apparent as slow play on both days of our stay spoilt our golf as any golfer knows waiting on every tee is not good .....four balls were not allowing two balls through ......the four ball were members and obviously think they play by different rules and the "society" were not only generally of a bad standard but had three guys on a buggy.....one hanging of the back like a kid sharing two sets of clubs although the young guys in the pro shop made the appropriate apologies there really should have been a course Marshall out there speeding things up and or removing certain players .....

The London cabs used to ferry guest around is a great idea and anyone on here who complains is rather silly this service is free and a little fun so lighten up !!!!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
MLong8001, General Manager at Luton Hoo Hotel Golf and Spa, responded to this review, October 11, 2013
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to place a review on Trip Advisor and for sharing the benefit of your experience here at Luton Hoo. I am pleased you found the hotel and its grounds to be stunning; a country retreat in the heart of Bedfordshire, in over 1000 acres of landscaped gardens and parkland, with the Mansion House emerging through the trees as Capability Brown had intended all those years ago.

Thank you for your feedback relating to our staff which I will review in order that we may make any improvements in this area.

May I thank you for your constructive feedback relating to the services of a course marshal, which will be addressed at our Management meeting. I am sorry to note that your experience on the golf course was not as enjoyable as it should have been due to the presence of a large party on the day; your comments will be highlighted with our Golf Manager.

I do hope we shall have the pleasure of your company again very soon, when you can be assured of our personal attention.

Matthew Long

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (345)
  • Turkish first
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 29, 2013

We stay for dinner and overnight for a restful stay. Superb surroundings. Great service from personable staff, food excellent. People work hard to ensure that you are happy. We had a cocktail before the meal. The quality of wine by the glass was very good. Staff attentive although restaurant became busy. Breakfast always excellent - best poached eggs I have ever had.

1 Thank Susan D
Dear Reviewer,

It was a delight to read your review; thank you for taking the time to share your experience following your visit to Luton Hoo. The Management team and staff are committed to providing the very best service and a 5* experience for all our guests, every day. Therefore it is most reassuring that we exceeded your expectations on this occasion.

Your positive feedback will be shared with the staff you mention; who I know will take great satisfaction from your comments.

We look forward to welcoming you back again very soon, when you can be assured of our personal attention.

Harpenden, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 29, 2013

I don't normally bother to write reviews, but I feel compelled to add my voice to warnings about this place already placed by others on this site. My wife treated me to a birthday dinner in the Wernher restaurant after she enjoyed having a positive experience at a recent corporate event here. What a disappointment!

The venue is stunning, but that's about as good as it gets. The restaurant itself has less atmosphere than a morgue. The food is eye-wateringly expensive, but actually somewhat ordinary. Some staff are very slick and professional, but others clearly lack training - eg, main course being served before we'd finished the starters and bread having to be asked for. At these prices, this is unforgivable. Also, the waiter failed to pull my wife's chair out for her when she first sat down. I know some might find this a petty quibble, but this place charges top dollar and doesn't deliver.

Anyway, to cut a Long story short, we calculated that we had spent £160 on two courses and a round of drinks at the bar. Still feeling hungry (minuscule portions), we cut our losses and left to get some chips and go to the Cross Keys in Harpenden for a pint or two.

Want a good dinner in relaxed, but stylish surroundings by people who know what they're doing? Try St Michael's Manor in St Albans instead.

Bedford, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 25, 2013

This was gift of champagne afternoon tea for two. Beautiful old hotel but afternoon was appalling. Sandwiches were stale and dry and the fillings were unidentifiable slop! My cream puffs had no cream, the scones were so dry they needed lots of tea to swallow them. Very disappointed, especially as this was a birthday gift from a dear friend. Only highlight was a glass of orange juice which was lovely.
Give this place a miss for afternoon tea, my complaint to the manager is in the post!

1 Thank thebyre
Dear Reviewer,

I was alarmed to read your review regarding afternoon tea here at Luton Hoo. I am very sorry to note that we did not reach your expectations. Luton Hoo is proud to have established an enviable reputation for the quality of its afternoon tea. The significant growth in terms of volume of business since our opening is testament to this success. I therefore heed your feedback and deeply regret you were not able to highlight your concerns with a member of the Management Team at the time in order that we could address this immediately.

Chippenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 25, 2013

On the day before my in-laws returned to America, we stopped at Luton Hoo for a morning tea/coffee. Luton Hoo is an impressive old-worldly place that impressed them and the service was quality. I was told that technically the waiter did not follow silver service procedure but I was happy. We then went for a walk in the grounds with its great views. At the end my sister-in-law fell on the steps. She was well looked after and a follow up call the next day confirmed she was well.

Sussex
Reviewed September 23, 2013

This was a beautiful hotel, and a welcome surprise for Luton.

Has a very country house hotel feel, and is very much a 5*. Old fashioned feel, but charming. Vey English style décor in the spacious bedrooms, complimented by beautiful bathrooms with huge bath and massive walk in shower. Molten Brown toiletries were a nice touch, as were nice fluffy towels and bathrobes.

I visited for business in August 2013, and made good use of the Warren Wier section of the resort. I believe that our party were the only ones visiting, and staff couldn't do enough for us. They were keen and helpful and it was great to attend an event in the conference area and have the rooms only a short walk away. The rooms are in a separate building, but seconds away.

I'd say the only thing that let down this hotel was the food. It was very basic and didn't really meet expectations when the rest of the property was so clearly 5*.

Easy to find, nice and secluded so would be ideal for couples weekend, or short break for an "older" couple. Wi-Fi was intermitted so hard to stay connected if staying for business.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Beckenham, Kent, UK
Reviewed September 23, 2013

My sister and I just returned from a much needed break at Luton Hoo. We went under their buy two and get one night free offer plus a relatively small upgrade to stay in the main house which was well worth the extra amount. We found the staff most attentive and, contrary to some reports I read before going, we received excellent timely service even when there was a big wedding reception in full swing. I note someone else's recent review to the effect that the hotel had 'not been touched for quite a few years' and that rooms had not been touched for 5-10 years. However it seems the hotel has only been open for six years after a £60 million refurbishment. The magic of Luton Hoo is that it has not been clinically brought into the 21st century, so you feel as though you are stepping back in time and are a guest in a stately home. Our very spacious bathroom, however, was well up to date and delightful to use, Our huge room overlooked the formal garden which was absolutely beautiful. The only disadvantage with our room was that it was on the top floor with a relatively small window, so the room tended to be rather gloomy. I'm fussy about beds, but the bed was blissfully comfortable. The Spa facilities are also excellent with the pool looking out onto woodland. We both had treatments in the Spa and were impressed with the professionalism of the staff and the quality of the treatments. The food in both the Brasserie and the Wernher Restaurants were excellent and, bearing in mind the environment, reasonable value. The grounds are extensive with plenty of room to roam if you like walking. The literature in the room stated that maps were available if you wished to walk around the estate, but all that was provided was a small laminated location map of the adjacent buildings. In fact we had a beautiful walk that took about four hours way beyond the boundary of the small laminated map provided. It is possible to walk down to the river and along the bank where there is wonderful wildlife and you feel miles away from everything (apart from the aeroplane's flying out of Luton airport!). The gardens were designed by Capability Brown and full of beautiful mature trees of all descriptions. The only niggle we had was the tea. If your morning cup of tea is important to you I strongly suggest you take a supply of your usual tea bags as the tea provided both in the rooms and in the restaurants does not really 'hit the spot'!

Room Tip: Stay in the main house if at all possible and ask for a room overlooking the formal garden as the vi...