“Christmas 2012 at Luton Hoo”

Luton Hoo Hotel Golf and Spa
Ranked #8 of 26 Hotels in Luton
Reviewed January 1, 2013

Booked to stay over for Xmas night, with the kids (2 adults, 3 children). Got upgraded to a suite in the Parkland block, absolutely beautiful room (probably bigger then our downstairs). We all, not just the kids, got a gift from Santa ! Xmas lunch was in the Wernher restaurant. Lunch was simply delightful, waitresses were attentive without being obtrusive.

Then had a buffet in the evening, sadly we were so full from lunch we couldn't enjoy a lot of the fabulous food at the buffet.

Like the fact that inspite of being a 5* hotel/restaurant the dress-code isn't stuffily over-bearing, only a jacket OR tie being required by men for dinning in the Wernher.

We were able to extend checkout from 1100h to about 1300h to enjoy the swimming pool. Sadly we had misunderstood the meaning of "splash time" being 1100 - 1200. We thought this was the only time the kids could use the pool, but it is in fact time specifically set aside for kids to use floats, etc... and enjoy themselves in the pool.

Only (very mild disappointment) was there was not enough for the kids to do on Xmas afternoon after lunch and we didn't have time to enjoy clay-shooting and/or archery as the kids wanted to go to the pool before we checked out.

Whilst, to us at least, this was an expensive overnight stay we all thought it was super value for money. The kids already want to go back next year. Better start saving !

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Luton Hoo Hotel Golf and Spa

Reviewed December 31, 2012

My intention was to go for a relaxing post-Christmas Spa day...however I'm afraid to say that the opposite occurred. Whilst the 2 treatments I had were fine and the lunch at Adam's good, for the price of £120 I expected peaceful and tranquil surroundings. We arrived at 10am to complete calm around a lovely pool and facilities.. within 40 mins however it was a full of screaming children, inconsiderate parents and loud groups. No staff were to be seen around the pool area to keep order. Parents were blatantly letting their children use the jet/vitality pool when the sign CLEARLY says its for over 16s only!! Letting little ones run dangerously around the pool & have swimming races!!! These were people relaxed and seemingly glued to their loungers who couldn't have cared less about their kids or other guests! This was then the case throughout the day and there wasn't one occasion when I returned to the pool area when there wasn't any kids in there being loud and disorderly. When I returned to the changing room after lunch to find a woman trying to get her screaming child to sleep in there whilst glaring at me for daring to make a noise opening my locker, I'd had enough!! Towards the end of the day I returned again to find the changing room was full of toddlers! It was honestly like being at a creche. The initial booking experience was shoddy, I also had to ring 3 times to get my email confirmation. Apparently we should have been made aware at the time of booking that there would be children there, but we were not! According to the staff there was set 'splash time' allocated for children but this is nonsense as they were always in the pool throughout the day with no staff around to monitor it anyway!! I have complained and am waiting for a formal response from the management. If its another spa day then forget it it as I would never return or recommend it. I have been to lots of Spa days and they were far more relaxing and worthwhile than this experience which is one I would never repeat! The issue is that its a hotel that allow any guests to use the spa. Well fine but then don't then sell Spa days to non-guest who then come along and have an unsatisfying experience.

• Stayed: December 2012
3  Thank ChillandRelaxSeeker
Reviewed December 28, 2012

To start, the positives; the food was good, the buildings and interiors were beautiful and the pool was light and airy. The staff were, without exception, very friendly.
To finish, the negatives; too many children - I've never eaten in a 5* restaurant next to a baby in a pushchair. There were two of these, and about 15 other children under 16. Some were well behaved, but some were too young and so disruptive. The pool allows children from 10-6 so there's no getting away from them. Also, despite claiming to be 5*, one man at breakfast was wearing a shell suit and a baseball cap - not quite "as advertised"!!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 27, 2012

We have just spent Christmas 2012 at the Luton Hoo - 2 adults and 2 children aged 12 and 8 plus family dog. I can't fault a single thing - our expectations were well and truly exceeded. The food was exceptional, the accommodation - interconnecting rooms were comfortable and well equipped. The activities which included a gift bearing Father Christmas, carols, clay pigeon shooting and a racing night dinner were all spot on. The spa was immensely enjoyable - had a thoroughly deserved back massage while the children enjoyed the heated indoor pool. The grounds are breathtaking and necessary to walk off all the food we consumed. It really was a fantastic break, which, thanks to the staff who really do bend over backwards to please, we shall always remember.

Room Tip: As we had a dog staying with us - we did not stay in the main house, rather in the accommodation adj...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed December 26, 2012

Bought a last minute spa day for Luton Hoo. Although good value at £50 compared to other spas this was average. It was Boxing day however I did not expect lots of young children using the facilities in a spa. Kids clothes all over the floor in the changing room and screaming kids in the pool and in the splash pool despite signs saying no under 16 As this is sold as a spa there really should be some "adult only" time in the pool and due to the kids it was impossible to sit and relax anywhere When using the gym no one offered to show us how to use the machines despite two people sitting in office. No bath robes were given and lunch service was very slow taking over two hours in total.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank flakeykate
Reviewed December 25, 2012 via mobile

We recently stayed two nights here. It is an amazing beautiful & well kept hotel/building, particularly if you are interested in history & architecture. Our room which was in the Annex of the hotel was spacious & v clean. The food was excellent. My only issue with the place was the generally poor service. There were lots of staff, mostly very young, who were extremely polite & helpful but just don't know what they were doing a lot of the time. There seemed to be a lack of communication between them & a lack of experience & knowledge. Having said that, they always tried to put things right & for that reason alone, I would definitely go back again.

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed December 19, 2012

I have been to Elite Hotels before and Luton Hoo before and this weekend was absolutely wonderful. We were celebrating our 50th birthday celebrations and when we arrived we were upgraded to room 207 in the courtyard. The room was lovely, very spacious with the lovely roll topped bath and walk in shower with Molten Brown products so leave yours at home. There was a lovely view over the courtyard and you were very close for breakfast. Dinner at the main house was fabulous and I can recommend the deserts. We walked around the grounds and down towards Warren Weir and it was lovely. They could not do enough for you even though it was very busy with a wedding and all the Christmas parties. I loved it I will be back next year

Room Tip: I have stayed in the House, Warren Weir and the Courtyard and all have been fab
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Luton
Sopwell House
The Leaside Hotel
#4 of 26 in Luton
Hampton by Hilton London Luton Airport
Holiday Inn Express Luton Airport

Been to Luton Hoo Hotel Golf and Spa? Share your experiences!