“Let down somewhat by the little things”

Luton Hoo Hotel Golf and Spa
Ranked #8 of 25 Hotels in Luton
Bedfordshire, United Kingdom
“Let down somewhat by the little things”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2012

Went here today with my wife for a pre-christmas spa day.

Let me start by saying that the massages (2+ hours worth), one in the morning and one in the afternoon, provided by Misma and Daisy, were excellent - Daisy's neck and head one was top notch.

Also, I thought the changing room and pool area, with hot tub and jets, steam room, sauna etc. were very clean and generally good.

But, considering, the day cost me £400 (with some lunch extras) I was surprised by a few things.

I took me 3 phone calls to confirm the reservation (as I didnt get the confirmatory email I expected initially)

Also, some of the jet functions werent working in the Spa pool - again, I know things break, it just didnt feel very 5*

We were told to arrive for the day between 9:15 and 9:30, which we duly did, but then stood in an empty Spa reception for 15 minutes. there was a sign to say that the receptionist wasnt there and to call the hotel reception - but no phone on the desk. We had to go to the other side of the counter to use the phone. We called the hotel reception but nothing happened. Eventually a girl turned up who said she had seen us on the security camera and wondered what we were doing?? I almost said "I was waiting for a bus - what do you think??".

I know this might sound a bit trivial but when you spend £200 each for the day you kind of expect a bit of a wow factor. We've been to a number of spas around the world, often paying less, and felt more special.

Like I said, I dont want to take away from the treatments themselves though, which were good.

1 Thank MJH1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (335)
  • Turkish first
Luton
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2012

I decided to have Afternoon Tea with my girls to celebrate my Birthday.
Upon arrival we had to park a little walk away some 300 yards on a not all that warm day and we were all in heels.
When we got there, because we had 1/2 guests more than originally booked there was a small wait. We also saw that a wedding was going on in the room next to us and there were lots of cars parked out the front presumably with the wedding or early dining guests.
The lady serving us wasn't too bad but as we all wanted champagne then there wasn't much organising to do.
The food when it arrived looked good but unfotunately really didn't taste up to standards, the beef was very fatty and the other sandwiches weren't that great either.
The chaps who brought the tea out to us took their time and didn't really seem to know which table they should be heading to.
In the middle of our tea we were interrupted by the staff cleaning up after the wedding meal by coming through the area where afternoon tea was happening and heading back out to a door next to where my party were sitting. This was very loud and should not have happened.
Having had Champagne Afternoon tea a few times at different places I would like to pass on that there are many OTHER places that you can have afternoon tea and spend £40 on doing so and I really wish I had gone somewhere else. For me this place is riding on it's brand name and not the service. I won't be going back especially not for the price v service. We also didn't realise that service charge was not included with the total - so don't get stung. I tried to change the booking for a gluten free version for 1 guest and the person on the phone also told me that there would be a birthday plate (it was my birthday) I had complained and due to the response I will not be going back. EVER!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank LilladyLuton
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2012

We were just there for a night on our way to else where in the north along M1. It was part of a gift holiday booked by my bro in law for us as an anniversary gift. We had reached there early by 12 noon but there were no rooms available, as their check in time was 3 pm. However we were registered and was told to use the hotel facilities and the surroundings until the room is ready and the lady at the reception took my numbers and promised to call us as soon as it was ready. we waited outside taking some pictures of their lovely garden etc until 3.10pm but were never called. so we went to the reception and checked in. The lady who showed us the room was really a nice and was helpful. The room was quite spacious, lovely bed and nice and clean bathroom with adequate supplied and a well stocked minibar.

We had a reservation for dinner at their Wernher restaurant at 7 pm. I was told that the restaurant operates a very strict dress code and men required a jacket or a tie and denim were not allowed. As holiday makers, i was not having a jacket or a tie, so i had to borrow one from concierge. The three course meal options were limited and the mains were tasty, especially the sea bream, but too small. The buttermilk pannacotta tasted like craft glue, not at all pleasant. My wife opted some fruits from the trolley and when served there was an insect or a fly sort of thing on it as the garnish! We took it as a fun.. as i didn't want to spoil her mood as it was our anniversary and pointed it to the the manager. He did apologise and brought us another portion.. thats it.

I can have a dessert replaced for with an insect in it in my staff canteen at work but not at a five star hotel, and that too their much hyped main restaurant, where i had paid £101 for dinner for two with two glasses of wine, coffee and a shot of vodka and water. I got really annoyed when i saw a group of men and women escorted to next table wearing denim and plain shirts. If they had a policy what makes them special? i dont understand. The only reason why i did not raise my point was it was a special evening for us. I didnt want to spoil my mood.

Except at the restaurant i found the hotel quite nice, with lovely settings and leisure facilities. Would go back there again, but definitely not to their Wernher restaurant anymore.

1 Thank SUBIN_SUBHASH
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2012

My boyfriend and I spent one night there for our anniversary. It is an beautiful hotel and very comfortable and relaxing.

It did seem to have slid downhill somewhat since our last visit a couple of years ago, though. Dinner was very good, but not as outstanding as it had been the last time we visited.

Our shower only came out lukewarm when we arrived. Naturally, we only noticed when we tried to shower, and called reception right away. They said they were sending someone, but after 20 minutes standing around waiting, no one came and I realised I needed to shower then or we'd be late for dinner. So I had a rather miserable shower, and although I did point that out once someone finally arrived (to take my boyfriend to another room to shower, about 45 minutes after we first called) no one even apologised for the delay. Then they sent a maintenance man to fix it and after working away for 20 minutes he came in, checked the taps at the sink and said it seemed to be working fine -- no one had even told him it was the shower that was the problem! They did fix it before the next morning, but I would have expected more for the calibre of hotel they are trying to be, and also the amount of money we were paying!

I would probably go again if we got a room at a sale price, but wouldn't pay their full rate anymore, which is a little sad as I used to LOVE this hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Bedford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2012

We had a relaxed and enjoyable Sunday lunch for 16 people plus a baby with jazz playing and a good atmosphere. We were able to decorate the table beforehand and service was good and attentive and food good. A very happy afternoon.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Cambridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2012

My boyfriend and I went to Luton Hoo, near the M1/Luton Airport, for a birthday treat for myself - afternoon tea for two. What a fantastic place. It is 5* and you feel 5* going there. I had an image in my mind that it would be a stuffy 5* hotel, modern and quirky.....it was nothing like that at all.....it was like going back in time where I can imagine the original occupants of this grand house/hotel actually had afternoon tea....amazing amazing place full of wonderful big oil paintings, tapestries, works of art, antiques, real wood burning huge fireplaces. The staff were not snooty, far from it, and from the moment we parked our car in the front of this grand house to the time we left, we were treated like royalty. Although we could not see the grounds, they were pretty impressive and amazing - from the very very very long drive up from the main road through some posh gates to the drive to the other end of the estate - 1,000 acres of private land with a river going through the middle of it.

This place has great history and is of great historic importance, being a place that the Queen came to on her honeymoon for 3 days; Prince Charles had his 60th birthday celebrations here; the Queen Mother used to come up a lot of weekends; Winston Churchill was a frequent visitor and friend of the owners - he has works of art he painted in this place. The Americans were apparently stationed at Luton Hoo in the war, etc etc!!

The actual tea for two took us personally 2 hours - there was no sense of rushing us to eat and drink quickly. We were seated in a sumptious set of velvety big chairs, near the fire, and it took about 15 mins before the tea came out and then a further few moments for the food to come out - all this added to the relaxation of the afternoon.

The actual tea was made up of : 2 currant scones, 2 plain scones, jam and clotted cream; 5 sets of sandwiches; 2 mini choux buns; 2 mini lemon merangues and 2 slices of chocolate moousy cake - all for £26.00 each which I think, when compared with other establishments and taking into account the amazing setting and ambience, is money well spent.

I would thoroughly recommend Luton Hoo for afternoon tea - or any break - on a special occasion or when you have some spare cash and want to treat yourself.

2 Thank madmichyLondon
Leicester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2012

Arriving at the hotel estate was quite impressive beautiful grounds and the room was very nice, we stayed in the flower garden rooms which were very convenient for the spa and brasserie, however things after that started to feel a little disappointing. The 19th which was recommended for a light lunch was very uninspiring and small. Adams Brasserie in the evening wasn't much better it lacked atmosphere and in need of updating, the seating plan felt wrong we felt like the table next to us was too close, it just wasn't a relaxing experience and we couldn't wait to finish and leave. The food was nice however. The spa was nice, good size pool area but spa treatments were average and little pricey. The following morning breakfast was very good and we enjoyed a walk in the grounds with our borrowed Wellingtons from the hotel. Overall a pleasant stay but don't think i would return.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Luton
Sopwell House
Icon Hotel Luton
#4 of 25 in Luton
Holiday Inn Luton - South M1, Jct 9
Hilton Garden Inn Luton North

Been to Luton Hoo Hotel Golf and Spa? Share your experiences!