“Good for one night”

Ranked #11 of 25 Hotels in Luton
Southern England
“Good for one night”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2011

Very nice pub. Landlord was very hospitable. Coffee maker in room with cereal and rolls for morning. Small room but clean. Ok for 1 night stay.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2011

Stayed here before a flight out from Luton airport to a football tour with 4 guys. We have stayed in some pretty grotty hostels abroad, so our tolerances are high and expectations low. Firstly it is really hard to find, particularly in the dark so do not rely on sat nav - it took us miles away. It is set in a fairly nice village and could, and should be a great option for a cheap stay before flying (around £25 each with parking) with a taxi journey to Luton only around £7 (one way).

All I can say is that when you ascend the rickety fire escape which has been boarded up with some mdf and cheap plastic your senses tell you something is wrong. The triple room is a single with 3 beds in it, with hardly any room to move. The double slightly better but benefiting from a stench from the bathroom that is indescribable (but close to human faeces). The 'continental breakfast 'was a bun and a minute croissant in a plastic bag. The windows were filthy and skirting boards and other surfaces seemingly coated in either anti-vandal grease or just black fat.

Do not stay here, even at a cheap rate you would be better setting off early from anywhere (even Scotland). You have been warned.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
4 Thank Kaiser1960

Travelers are raving about these Luton hotels

Pembroke, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2011

I used this "hotel" for a nights stay, so I can't complain as much as other guests have, although I feel I would be had I stayed 1 extra night or more.......

First off, calling the King William a hotel is very generous, as really it is a country pub with a few rooms above it. Even though I used a sat nav, it was quite difficult to find, it would have been a near impossible if I had used a map off google, the AA etc.

Apart from 1 member there, the staff seemed very unknowledgable and their customer service skills left much to be desired. Upon arriving, the barmaid had my booking all wrong, thinking I was staying for 2 nights and that I needed to pay there and then. When I proved that was not the case, she then took me to my room........and couldnt unlock the room's door, I had to do it. Later, I asked another member of staff for an iron and ironing board, to which her response was a laugh at the request with her college.

My room was fairly small, the bathroom claustrophobic and the walls were paper-thin (being able to hear my neighbours conversations very clearly against my will), however it was all clean.

There was in-room tea and coffee making facilities, croissants in fresh bags and bowls with mini cereal boxes for breakfast. The hotel's food was very pub-grubby, however was decent for the price.

I had to check-out around 8 morning, however there was no members of staff on-site for me to return the room key to. The front door of the hotel was locked and had no letter box, so I ended up having to leave the key on the door step.

I would recommend the King William for people like myself, who only needed a 1 night stopever, however not for people having stopovers for Luton airport, as it is over a mile away........just use the Ibis or Holiday inn which are on its doorstep. Would not recommend for 2 nights+ stays either.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Leighton Buzzard, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2011

OMG. Don't go there! I can't believe they're allowed to trade under the name of 'hotel'. After ten minutes of hysterical laughter when we saw the place and smelt the overpowering stench of feet, we looked at the toilet and dilapidation, and decided that though we'd paid, there was no way we could stay. We would never get any sleep!

As a single positive, though the room was dirty, the bedding was clean and ironed.

Had hoped for a country pub experience to end our holiday with. Lets say, we had an experience we'd never forget.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank Newbold37
Eastern England
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2011

We stayed here a few years back before March 2010 (earliest I could use) and before it was on Trip advisor, but it was just as bad back then. I would endorse all the negatives, filthy accommodation, ridiculously tiny bathroom and bedrooms.

The fact that there are no staff on site is quite disconcerting too, especially as the hotel is very isolated.

I'm not sure why it is pushed as an 'airport hotel' - you need a car to get there (difficult to find) and the taxi fare adds quite a bit to your costs. If this is your purpose for staying, there are plenty of good hotels at the airport, which, looking at the KW's current prices, would be cheaper and offer far superior accommodation. In my experience it is not a convenient hotel for the airport.

I would like to reiterate our stay was a few years ago, but very much in line with subsequent comments.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
3 Thank lincolnshireposy
luton
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2010

Went to the restaurant today, absolutely discusting, dirty, sticky floors, looked dirty in general, went to order food at the bar , menus were absolutely dirty never been wiped, poor service, sort staffed, then i saw a mouse !!!!! told the bar lady but they didnt seem to do anything about it.Luckly didnt order food as was told the restaurant was shut after 14.30.
absolutely appauling place. Not worth eating in there you definately will be ill after, needs closing down. Def needs an inspection.

Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
3 Thank willangelcake
Scotland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2009

Seriously, this was the only way I got through the night.

This place was the worst place I've ever stayed in (and I'm not a 5star man - far from it).

Terrible mattrass, wafer-thin pillow, paper-thin walls and completely flithy. I walked from my bed to the toilet (about three steps) and back and my feet were covered in dust and hair.

There was no onsite staff so we could change room when our neighbours kept us up - I'm not talking about banging headboards - we could hear them breaking wind!

I'm a very positive person and always look for the good points, but it is hard with this place... But here goes - the pub itself was OK and the pub grub was acceptable.

Phew - that was hard to type!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple