“Alot better than what previous reviews have said”
Review of Stockwood Hotel

Stockwood Hotel
Ranked #18 of 26 Hotels in Luton
birmingham
“Alot better than what previous reviews have said”
Reviewed April 11, 2012

I read alot of reviews for this place before I booked and wasn't to sure what to expect. I stayed here for a week and this is what I have to say.

The room that I had was newly decorated and was clean and more than adequate. Apparently speaking to the staff they had recently finished redecorating several rooms and this is obvious from just entering the property. I think that its a little harsh that people put the place down for trying to refurb.
They have parking for several cars but it was pretty full for the time I was there. The receptionist pointed me in the direction for more parking and of there was anything else I needed they were more than helpful.
Breakfast was ok was a basic continental but to be honest for what I was paying I couldn't really ask for alot. Considering that in bigger hotels you have to pay £12-£15 for similar.
Overall the hotel is very good and to be honest for the week I was there so were alot of the guests
as I saw the same people pretty much everyday. q guest I spoke to mentioned they had been there for the past six weeks and had been using the place for the last few years. So I think this says alot for this place.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 7, 2012

The website description of the hotel and the insistence of the staff to take the full fee prior to being show to the room gave the impression of a well run hotel. However this was not the experience .
The charge was £55:00 for bed and breakfast. There was no indication upon booking the the hotel was in fact a building site, the room was cold, there was no hot breakfast, the bar was closed and the room dirty. The staff was surly and very rude. There was no electricity on the first morning, and guests could not even have a hot drink.
I am extremely disappointed that when I tried to speak to a hotel manager the reception staff was very rude with no sign of any courtesy or any modicum of customer service. I later discovered that this was in fact the manager/owner.

Room Tip: Don't stay at this hotel
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank LutonBus1

Travelers are raving about these Luton hotels

Hailsham, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 17, 2012

My daughter and I were booked to spend one night (November 2011) in two rooms in this hotel. The rooms were booked through LateRooms at a cost of 55 GBP each room including breakfast. On arrival at the hotel I noticed a rubbish skip in the very small car park and on entering reception a prop supporting the ceiling in the reception area, this should have told us enough but we were tired after a long drive and decided to check-in. The male staff member told us that he would have to process our debit or credit cards and there would be a charge of 1 GBP for each transaction, we reluctantly agreed as there had been no mention of this charge on the LateRooms or the hotel websites. We were given the keys to two rooms on the first floor. On entering the corridor that led to our rooms, I noticed that the lights at the far end of the corridor did not appear to work which was annoying because one of our rooms was at the end. On entering the first room the first thing I noticed was a very strong chemical smell and it was extremely hot. The room was scruffy, the furniture worn, the TV didn't work, there was patches of mould on the walls & celing in the showeroom, no soap had been provided and the electric shower switch extension cord was missing. We walked along the dark corridor to the other room passing, on our left, dooways that had been blocked up with plasterboard and we noticed build debris on the carpet ( was this why the lights were off to hide the building work?). The second room was worse first than the first room, it was cold (the windows didn't close properly), there were huge cracks in the walls, patches of mould on the showeroom ceiling and walls. The furniture was worn and scruffy and there was a line of black dust on a coaxial cable socket on the external wall above one of the beds (see photo). I returned to my car and retrieved my digital camera and took some photos. Then my daughter and I returned to the reception area and stated that we were not happy with the standard of our rooms. The male staff member quickly got very defensive and had an excuse for every item that we bought to his attention. At no time did he offer us alternative rooms or did he offer to view the rooms to see what we were concerned about. In the end we said that we would not be staying and he stated that we would still be charged for the rooms because he could now not re-let them. I asked for a refund on the grounds of poor standard of the rooms and I was refused. I have since written to the manager of the the Stockwood hotel asking for a refund and the reasons for not staying in the hotel but to date I have not had an answer. I think that the standard of the rooms did not justify the charges and the fact that refurbishment work was being carried out should have been posted on the hotels website and the LateRooms website. I have complained to Late Rooms and they have defended the hotel !

Room Tip: Insist on viewing the rooms before parting with any money.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank Durek
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 18, 2011

I agree with every damning review of this hotel. The only thing that was acceptible was the bedstheets: they were clean. The breakfast was passable also; the kitchen attendant was alert, busy and not unfreindly. I could hold my nose at the many other offences to our paid money for service rendered except that the staff were very hostile despite the superficial politeness. When my friend and I tried to complain civily about some of the more egregious service offences (especially the fact that our shower didn't work!!) the REAL attitude of the desk staff emerged; they were reactionary and disrespectful in the extreme, in fact outright HOSTILE. Prepare for that, dear reader...

Room Tip: I recommend NO room as I recommend NO night stay there
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Allahahaha
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed July 14, 2011

I agree with the other reviews, I found the guy on reception argumentative! The room extremely cramped, walls far too thin, very shabby, toilet ran out of toilet paper, no soap, bed linen extremely old, had the worst nights sleep, the list is endless, find somewhere else to stay.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Carrie0123
Newport, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 25, 2011

Single room very poor quality. Evidence of damp. Decor poor. wash basin poor.
Bed awful. No onsuite. Could not recommend this hotel and would avoid at all costs.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo