“A decent Holiday Inn Express.”

Holiday Inn Express Luton Airport
Ranked #7 of 25 Hotels in Luton
Tel Aviv, Israel
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 2,037 helpful votes
“A decent Holiday Inn Express.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2014

I spent 2 nights at the hotel, while visiting relatives in northern London.
The hotel is located a 10-minute slow walk from the terminal - just take a right turn when exiting the terminal and walk along the sidewalk in the direction of the sign that says "hotels".
If you're too lazy for the short walk, or if the weather does not permit the walk, simply take the one Pound airport shuttle, which will stop just next to the hotel.

I arrived rather late (apx. 9:30PM), but have experienced the quickest check-in I've ever had - it took no more than 30 seconds(!) for the lovely receptionist to locate my reservation, give me a key card (room 550 - top floor), a WI-FI coupon and a 300 bonus IHG rewards points (as I am Platinum and could choose either the points or a snack at the bar).

My room was rather small, but totally adequate - it had a double bed and a sofa that was opened up as a bed, an HD TV, a triple-glazed window (total isolation from the airport noise) and a shower. There was no closet nor a safety box in the room.

Through the window, I could see a major parking lot (but the real treat was to see the small airplanes parking lot on the other side of the hotel).

As it was a cold night, the hotel was nice enough to pre-heat the room for me, to an extent I had to turn the AC off and open the window (it was over 30 degrees in the room). Still, it was a nice touch by the hotel.

The free WI-FI was rather slow, but rather acceptable for email and surfing (though don't count on Skype phone calls).

The bathroom was a bit funny - it had only one door, that either closed the bathroom, or the toilet section of the bathroom (but not both). This can prove to be a bit awkward if more than one person stays at the room, since the door does not seal the toilet area at all (ahm ahm...).
The soap and shampoo were in big squashy containers and had a nice coconut scent.

Breakfast, which was included with my rate, was rather a joke (but I laughed it off, as I wasn't expecting much). I had the breakfast at apx. 8AM, and it turned out to be a very very very basic one - eggs, sausages, cereals, juice and some breads. But hey, this ain't the Ritz. :)

All in all, this is a decent 3-star airport hotel for anyone in need of a quick access to Luton airport due to an early flight. It is, of course, impractical for tourists wanting to visit London (although the airport bus to the city costs less than 10 Pounds and takes just over an hour).

I paid 50 Pounds per night for this hotel, and I think that these were 50 Pounds well spent. I got a very decent 3-star quality hotel with lovely staff and very good service.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the top floor.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank TheShis
Catherine B, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Luton Airport, responded to this review, January 31, 2014
Dear Guest,

We like to get honest feedback from our guests so thank you for taking the time to write about your stay.
We are glad to hear that the hotel met your expectations and that you found the staff friendly. We apologise that the breakfast was not to your satisfaction.

We hope yo see you again in the future.

Kind regards

Michelle Rolt
Guest Services Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Doncaster, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2014

We booked this hotel because of its proximity to the airport terminal and because we had an early flight the following day. The room we were allocated was typical of the brand. Spotlessly clean, warm, comfortable and quiet (though this is always dependent upon the behaviour of the people in adjacent rooms). We had one of the above ground rooms (you'll know what I mean if you stay there) and our window overlooked a parking area for aircraft. This was not a problem and we heard no aircraft noise whatsoever. As It was bucketing it down with rain, we decided to eat in the restaurant area. We ordered fairly basic fayre (chicken burger as I recall) It arrived quickly and the server was perfectly pleasant. For convenience and if the price was right we'd definitely consider staying at this hotel again.

Room Tip: An upstairs room facing the parked planes worked well for us
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ColinL451
Zurich, Switzerland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2014

It is sad to see good hotel fallen to so cheap level. The staff is nice and friendly, and rooms are quite clean. But for same reason food served for rather high price I can say is just horrible. Starting with the breakfast with powder eggs and questionable sausages, fallowed by day meals of triangle sandwiches both from some local supermarket! No room service of course, and it is completely impossible to have dinner before 18:00 pm. The most sad thing is that i sow the same man how greeted me at the reception and gave me my room, to serve and arrange bananas at the buffet table. Hope this helps for some improvement , or at least to worn you to bring some food with you when you decide to stray in Holiday Inn Express in Luton.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank 31119
Catherine B, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Luton Airport, responded to this review, January 27, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent feedback. I'm happy to hear that you found the rooms clean and comfortable and the staff friendly.
We apologise that the food did not meet your expectations on this occasion, we appreciate your feedback and will review our offereings. We do have a lunch menu available which has a vareity of hot and cold food and this menu is availalbe until 6pm.

We hope this does not deter you from coming back in the future.

Kind regards

Michelle Rolt
Guest Services Manager
Bridgnorth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2014

Stayed here while away on business for a few nights May '08
I wasn't flying in or out but stayed here while working in the Luton area, I had a room facing the private jets. The sound insulation was amazing and the room was very quite with the jets fired up outside.
It was in a handy location for my needs, the hotel appeared to be quite new and the decor throughout was modern and clean. There was free parking and the wifi worked fine.
The breakfast area was nice and bright and breakfast was fine.
I was happy with my stay here and it was a nice change of scenery to be looking out on the private jets

Please hit 'YES' if you found this helpful

Stayed here May '08 and have returned since, I would recommend it.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank WoodyWoodwood
Cornwall, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2014

It's the closest hotel to the terminal and within walking distance although there is a bus and taxis.
Like the rest of the HIE chain you can expect comfortable beds and a warm, clean room. We did not have the breakfast even though this is included in the price - only the basics at 4.30 in the morning. The one disappointment was the evening meal. My chilli con carne was O.K but the wife's toad in the hole was a bit of a disaster with totally inedible Yorkshire pud. (And a long wait for the food as well. ) According to people we talked to at the airport who had stayed at the Ibis (just a bit down the road) they had a good evening meal there.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ColdstreamKeith
Catherine B, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Luton Airport, responded to this review, January 23, 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay we apologise that out food was not to your satisfaction and we sincerely hope this does not deter you to stay in the future, however I'm glad you found the rest of the hotel to the Holiday Inn Express standards

Kinds Regards
Tiffany Burn
Guest Service Manager
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2014

We had a great stay at the Holiday Inn Express Luton. The weather was atrocious when we arrived and we were concerned that our early morning flight would be delayed. They have screens showing upcoming departing flights so it was nice to know we could keep track our flight if there were any problems in the morning. Check-in was prompt and before we knew it we were in a warm, comfy room. Breakfast was simple but enough to get us started for the day. All in all a great stay for a great price.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mmmtravel86
Reykjavik, Iceland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2014 via mobile

Rooms are soundproof. Even though we saw the airport out of our window, we did not hear anything.

Location is very good for a flight connection. Staff was good. Breakfast was average. Comfortable beds and clean room.

• Stayed January 2014