“Unclean, unfriendly and unfortunate”

Comfort Hotel London Luton
Ranked #18 of 25 Hotels in Luton
London
“Unclean, unfriendly and unfortunate”
Reviewed February 9, 2013

I stayed here for one night before flying out for business. I barely slept due to noise throughout the hotel and surrounding area, as well as the hard beds and flattest pillow I've ever come across.
The staff were rude and didn't have much interest in customer care, and I'm not sure the room was properly cleaned after its previous guests as I found rubbish down the side of my bed.
In the morning the shower was cold and I'm glad I didn't stick around for breakfast.
I shall not be staying here again, and I advise others to seek elsewhere.

Room Tip: I wouldnt recommend any room
4 Thank Boston4_5_13

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
  • Polish first
England Shropshire
Reviewed January 20, 2013

As a regular traveler and user of hotels i can safey say i have much experience in these matters. Upon walking into the hotel i was shocked at the lack of parking, lift, bar and restuarant, which had been promised on their website. Having worked in hotels as well as my poor suffering companions i understand how they work along with the legal implications of informing each customer about noise. Whether its a party or being situated next to a train station we have to be informed.
Not only did we not sleep (due to noise from the neighbouring train station), but we also were charged for breaking a window that only a heavy weight, 7 foot man with a mallet could have performed. Naturally thinking it had been informed previously we didn't worry about it. Besides you don't need to be a rocket scientist to know logically with our height etc.. we would not have been able to break it. But if you do have a room with a broken window you might be too distracted by the horrendous stench of the hotel. If you don't bring slippers be prepared to walk around consistantly in shoes as the carpet will stick to your feet.

The staff have as much crisma and knowledge of customer services as Basil Faulty does in in Faulty Towers. I would rather have stayed with him. Regarding the issue of the window due to the fact that we where not even in the country to defend our position i had to get a family member to call in and defend our innocense. Not only did the manager speak again, rudely to them but also lied about our room, the window and how we spoke to them. Aparently we were intoxicated first thing in the morning, even though the manager wasn't even there and we were about to get on a plane (don't think they let you on should you be drunk and swaying). We also said we had proof that we hadn't broken this remarkably high window, could she at least leave it until we returned before charging us. I was rudely shouted at with abusive language, hung up on and had never seen nor heard of such incompentant or blind cleaning staff in all my years as a regular hotel user. I would only reccommend this hotel to my worst enemy, and even I'd feel sorry for them afterwards. Stay here, only if it is the last place in lutton or on earth. I have been so appaluded i am writting to every hotel or traveling website and local areas and am considering legal action over them removing almost 200 pounds of my money before i had a chance to vindicate myself.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
7 Thank SPUB89
LHGManagement, General Manager at Comfort Hotel London Luton, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Dear Guest,

Please note that we did not promise lift nor restaurant facilities on our website. You have mentioned "lack of parking and bar but was promised on the website" We do advertise bar and parking and both was available to you and guests on the night mentioned, even so as I have your bar receipt as proof. You also mention that it is our "legal implications of informing each customer about the train noise". As per your review you say that you have seen our website which in fact clearly states on the front page, our location and says "Only a few minutes' walk to Luton Railway Station".
Finally I am sorry that you are so unhappy about our service and your stay though your companion did say to us that the stay was "pleasant".

Travelers are raving about these Luton hotels

Maidstone, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 17, 2013

We sayed here for one night, which although pleasant, has incompetent or lying staff that accused us of cracking a window At a height taller than ourselves... Charged us before going on holiday for something we did not feel we had to report as it was so bloody obvious. £160 for a crack in the window that apparently was there b4 we went in. Had VIDEO EVIDENCE of the room as we arrived and yet as we were on holiday could not argue our point b4 being unfairly charged of this ridiculous accusation. When we get back we will bring lawyers to this place for taking money from our accounts as their staff either DO NOT clean the windows each time OR blame customers for something they have caused in absurdity... In a few days we will be there demanding our money back as the manager who "trusts" these lying cleaners for our rightful money back. If u stay here do a FULL inspection of the room and report everything because they will rape u of your money afterwards in lies or blatantly rubbish cleaning.

• Stayed January 2013
6 Thank Charlotte L
LHGManagement, Manager at Comfort Hotel London Luton, responded to this review, January 19, 2013
Dear Guest,

I have been in the Hotel and Catering Industry for over 15 years and never once charged a guest for any damages. Unfortunately on this occasion I had no choice but to do so to cover the costs of the replacement of the window. The guests were drinking from our residence bar the night before and after check-out we found many empty bottles of wine and champagne brought in from outside also in their room. I have spoken to the person who paid for the room and also stayed, over the phone on the day of the check-out and asked her to send me the video footage that she claimed she had as proof. I was told i will receive the footage by email in the evening but till today nothing was received. I was going to give the guests enough time to send me the evidence before i charge but unfortunately (I do believe the girls were still under the influence of alcohol) whilst I was on the phone to them they started shouting abuse down the phone to me, telling me to learn how to speak English and go back to my country. These girls were young enough to be my daughters and its disgusting that still in such a multicultural country people have to put up with abuse like this.
Finally, the chambermaids have been working in the hotel for over 5 years and they do report any faults/damages immediately to reception every morning. The triple room the guests were staying in was last used 3 days prior and the window was not broken then. Also the window is at a height of 4 feet 7 inches and I do believe was reachable by the guests.

Langport, Somerset
Reviewed January 17, 2013

Having only paid £35 for my room, I was expecting the worst. However, the Comfort Hotel is a haven in the middle of nowhere. The lady at the front guest (her name began with S, that's all I can remember), was friendly, helpful and polite. She was happy to advise me on the nearest supermarket and was very helpful when I got locked out of my room. She was having quite a stressful evening I believe as there were many drunk men staying in the hotel but she was still happy to help.
My room was small but lovely, the only thing I would ask is that the heating be turned on in the room before you arrive rather than having to put it on myself as it was quite cold but warmed up very quickly.
It was noisy in my room (206) but it wasn't horrendous and after I closed the curtains I didn't really notice it.
Would've liked an extra pillow in the room as it was a very thin pillow but again, it didn't really detract from my stay.
All in all, a very enjoyable experience.

Room Tip: My room (206) was only a single but was perfectly nice, a friend was staying in room 204 which had t...
Bolton
Reviewed January 10, 2013

This must be the hell hole of Luton. The free parking was on a first come first served basis. Unfortunately not enough space for all guest. We arrived back from holiday at 10 pm and by the time we arrived at the hotel the car part was full. It cost £6.80 to park on the multi-storey at the railway station. We could have parked on the road until 8 am without charges however we were too tired as we had been up since 7:30 am and still needed to find somewhere to eat. By this time it was after 12pm and we were feeling pretty fed up. As was the poor van driver who had been up since 4 am and like us had booked the hotel for its parking - funnily enough he also said he wouldn't be staying there again.

The en-suite had seen better days and the carpet in the bedroom left alot to be desired. The beds were not particularly comfortable and the pillows were so flat that my partner had to request more pillows.

We were on the first floor landing which wasn't too bad however we went through the door to where the other rooms were and it stank. The carpet was dirty and the hotel shabby. The door to our room was above the reception area and at 5 am my partner had to get dressed and ask some other guest who were shouting noisily in the reception area. The receptionist just sat there letting them get on with it.

We spoke to the receptionist the following morning and she deserves to work there as her customer service skills were none existent. Neither apologised when we complained nor was she particularly interested. Maybe she's the bosses daughter as she certainly didn't think there were any problems with the hotel or the service.

One other thing to bear in mind, which they cannot affect, is that the trains thunder by several times during the night.

MY ADVISE THINK TWICE BEFORE BOOKING THIS HOTEL - IT'S THE PITS.

Room Tip: No Tips - Just don't do it.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank TravelhappyBolton
LHGManagement, Manager at Comfort Hotel London Luton, responded to this review, January 13, 2013
Dear Guest,

At the Comfort Hotel Luton we endeavour to ensure all our guests have an enjoyable stay in a comfortable environment and I do apologise that on this occasion we failed to provide this.

As mentioned in your review by yourself the parking is not guaranteed parking to all residents but instead it's managed on a first come first served basis. We did not promise a parking space and if a guest arrives as late as midnight unfortunately there is less chance of getting a parking space then for the early arrivals.
I have seen the recordings of the morning conversation with the reception staff just before check-out and nothing was mentioned about the state of the room or corridor to the staff. The only comment that was made by yourself about the room on your way out was in fact that only £51.00 was charged for a triple room instead what was on the price board £79.00 The staff at reception in the morning did apologise several times for the noise at early hours but surely it is not the hotels fault if 2 guests decides to raise their voices on their way to their rooms. If the noise would have carried on the member of staff on duty would have certainly asked the guests to keep it down.

Once again I do apologise that this time you had an unpleasant experience but should you decide to stay with us in the future I am confident you'll have a more pleasant experience.

Kind Regards
Kendal, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 9, 2013

This hotel is in the centre of Luton and is flanked on two sides by main roads and in the rear by a mainline rail line - the noise insulation is inadequate to cope with this and I had a dreadful nights sleep. I got the double room for £28 online but the regular rate is more like £50, in other words the same as for a Holiday Inn Express or a Premier Inn. The room was tiny (what a single room is like I cannot imagine) but the bed was comfortable and the wifi was free. The staff were friendly and helpful and the room clean, but obviously quality control in housekeeping is very poor as the mirror light did not work,the sink had no plug, the bath soap dispenser was empty and there was no hair dryer (but there was a trouser press!). Parking is next to the hotel, free and reasonably secure.
My advice would be to give it a miss and stay further out of town.

Room Tip: Difficult one this as the hotel is surrounded by noisy roads and rail lines on three sides!
1 Thank David C
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 1, 2013

I have to say, it was a little while since I stayed here, but the experience was bad, even for a budget hotel.
On arrival, our room was freezing, so we contacted reception, as turning up the radiator wasn't having any effect. They claimed that customers had complained the hotel was too hot, and so had switched off the entire central heating system to the hotel. How convenient! We asked why the complaining customers had not had their radiators turned off, (as the radiators in the rooms were models that allowed this) to enable the colder rooms to be heated as required. They refused to answer and just bought a blanket to the room. Great service.............ahem.
In short, a lying, cheap, excuse for a hotel that I wouldn't return to for free. I did complain to them personally to give them a chance to explain, but they chose not to respond once they'd heard the nature of the complaint.
Don't go anywhere near this place.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple