“"Good Value"”

Ranked #19 of 25 Hotels in Luton
sussex
“"Good Value"”
Reviewed September 15, 2013

Discovered the hotel through an obscure Website and were amazed at the "Sunday night special"! We were travelling to Europe and needed to leave our car for a period!Took us a little while to find it as we didnt find google map clear!
The Reception staff were efficient and pleasant.Our room was nicely furnished and clean.
On Saturday and Sunday evenings,meals are served in the Bar/Lounge area which we were aware of. Food was freshly cooked.
The Breakfast choice was good.
We were given Transfer Vouchers to use a local Taxi Service to get to the Airport.
They were efficient and on the return,after we had phoned,they Text us to give the Cab Number and approximate time of collection.
We would stay at the Chiltern again!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Reviewer,

May I thank you for taking the time to place a review on Trip Advisor.

Your positive comments regarding the staff will be shared; I know they will all take great satisfaction from your feedback.

I do hope we shall have the pleasure of welcoming you back on a future occasion, when you can be assured of our personal attention.

Executive Assistant Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Reviewed September 13, 2013

stayed here for one night late August
due to a wedding the evening meal was in a smaller room than normal as there were two coach party's we were asked would we mind waiting till some space became available
pam and all the staff couldn't do enough for us
the meal was excellent could not fault a thing
rooms were very clean and no complaints to give
would stay again next time in the area
would like to thank pam and all the staff for there hard work in marketing the stay a memorable one

• Stayed August 2013
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor; it was a delight to read your comments.

The Management team and staff are committed to providing the very best service and experience for all our guests, every day. Therefore it is most reassuring that we reached your expectations on this occasion.

I am most pleased you enjoyed your experience and hope you will have an opportunity to return to Chiltern Hotel, when you can be assured of our personal attention.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 10, 2013

Just returned from the Chiltern Hotel in Luton where we spent 4 nights on a dinner / bed and breakfast basis. At first glance we thought that the accommodation looked better than the web site photos and reviews we had read. As with other reviewers we had mixed feelings about this hotel. The rooms were average and were cheaply furnished but nevertheless comfortable with the cleanliness adequate only. The bed was comfortable and the a/con was o.k, given that it was 29C outside. The rooms facing the main access road into the hotel had a mix of an industrial estate and housing as a vista, not very pretty. There was a house opposite the hotel which had a noisy Asian neighbour playing and singing Asian music which you would have sworn was in your room and not 200 metres away..... police did not seem to be bothered with the excessive noise levels but we were. Black mould in the bathroom, internal mechanical ventilation that didn't work but hot water by the bucketload.
The bar was small and dining areas too small to house our bus party and the Asian wedding
on our last night, very colourful though it was.
The food was poor and menu choice even poorer, two options at best,the breakfast plates were cold and heated food was not hot as the heated trays either did not work or weren't switched on.
Nowhere near at hand to eat out and snacks limited to garage sandwiches to make up the deficit of the poor meals. Result was I would suggest looking elsewhere .

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
LTN911, Manager at Chiltern Hotel, responded to this review, October 3, 2013
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your feedback and I am sorry to note you had some negative experiences during your visit. Guest feedback of any nature, whether it be negative or positive is essential in monitoring whether our guests’ expectations are being met.

We are working our way through a refurbishment of all rooms at The Hotel and have completed the first floor with a further 29 already underway.

It is most regrettable that you were not able to highlight your concerns with a member of the Management Team at the time in order that we could address this immediately.

Please do not hesitate to contact me directly at the hotel if you are considering another visit to Luton , on this occasion I will ensure you have the best possible allocation upgrade to one of our newly refurbished rooms and the lowest possible rate.

COVENTRY,UK
Reviewed September 6, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for 1 night 06:09:13,before early flight next morning,fantastic value,10 mins drive to Luton airport,very friendly & helpful staff,who very kindly printed my boarding passes for flight the next day,room was lovely and modern,I was very pleased with hotel and would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013
Dear Reviewer

Yours sincerely,
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I stayed here during a recent coach trip with National Holidays to see the Harry Potter Warner Brothers tour along with my fiance and parents on the 31st August. It was a bargain offer which my parents treated me too so we were not expecting anything amazing, just something nice and comfortable.

After spending a couple of hours in London having been driven all the way from just north of Blackpool, we arrived at The Chiltern in Luton. Location-wise, I suppose it's very good for anybody coming in from the airport as it is near but you can't hear the planes sleep-wise. However, it does not seem to be built for coach tours as the car park was very narrow and the coach did have some problems getting in. We were informed that in fact they were hosting an asian wedding that evening so they were a little disorganised but it was fine to go in and get our rooms sorted. We disembarked, got our luggage and received our keys from a very helpful lady who seemed to be in charge. Me and my fiance opted for the stairs as the lifts were miniscule and were staying on the 3rd floor in the room next to my parents.

The room itself looked reasonably comfortable with a nice big double bed, a big flatscreen TV and ample tea & coffee making facilities. After a long day travelling, I was dismayed to find that the bathroom, whilst "surface clean", really could have done with a really decent scrub. The grouting inbetween the tiles was filthy and there was a large mark down the side of the tiles just below the shower control. The corners looked like they hadn't been cleaned in a while. There were only enough towels for one bather though we did find extra eventually above the coat hangers. My parents were not able to shower at all, the flow control being completely immovable for her!

What was especially worrying was that the stickers advising when the appliances were last electrically tested showed that the hairdryer and TV were last checked in 2008! For those not in the know, this is supposed to be done yearly and failure to do so can result in a hefty fine. Furthermore, no other device in the room (lamps, kettle, etc) had any such sticker so it is conceivable they have never been checked at all! The hairdryer (one of those that are attached to the wall in the bathroom connected with a hose) got worryingly hot whilst in use and it was a struggle drying my hair to hold the thing due to its temperature.

Half 6 was the time for our evening meal so we went down a few minutes early. My parents had already gone down really early anticipating a rush given that it was a coach tour of course. Despite their early appearance, service was not done in order but rather per table. Ours sadly was the last table. We were given a small paper menu with the following choices (i forget what extras there were);

Starter

Pasta (i forget what type - penne?) in mushroom sauce

Dessert
Blackforest Gateau
Lemon Tart

Given my fiance's fussy eating habits (he doesn't like fruit or veg lol), he was stuck with just the Turkey and nothing else. The table as a whole had to enter our choices on a grid on a piece of paper which was picked up by the waitresses. Due to the wedding, we were all crammed into the bar area awkwardly with only 2 waitresses. there was a carafe of water on the table but nothing else so we got some drinks at the bar which were rather pricey. It was an aeon before we received our starter as we had to wait for all of the other tables to be served first. Similarly for the main (there was no stuffing despite what the menu stated but they did provide a lot of vegetables which was good) and the dessert too. The food was nice, nothing special but filling and satisfactory for our needs. The service was friendly but rushed as the poor waitresses were rushed off their feet.

It was a very comfortable night's sleep. the bed was comfortable and no exterior noise interrupted our sleep cycle so that was one point in the hotel's favour. We entertained hopes that tomorrow's service would be better now that the wedding was over (they should be able to cope with both a coach tour and a wedding but now it was just the coach tour to look after). The breakfast was due at 8am so we went down early famished and raring to go for the Harry Potter tour which was happening later that day (and my fiance by now was really ravenous given he only had the turkey part of the previous night's meal!).

We were back in the restaurant for breakfast which was a much larger area and better able to cope with the large group. There were tables to the sides for different things - a cereal area (cheap cornflakes ugh), 2 x toast areas which were time consuming as it was one of those toasting machines where you have to wait, a juice and coffee area and the full english breakfast area. I headed straight for the full english breakfast and loaded my plate with bacon, sausage, beans and potato. There was sadly no scrambled egg left and the staff were refilling the bowls for the other items despite there already being plenty. i got my juice and sat down though sprang back up when i saw someone with egg (eagle-eyed me like!) and got some. My fiance spent ages at the toasting machine but eventually returned with some. The food was very nice as well as the orange juice.

However, one sore point was the state of the coffee/tea cups on the table. they looked from the side like they were clean, sparkling shiny clean. However, looking inside them, despite the sides being clean, there were massive tea/coffee rings. Like they'd seen a washing bowl but hadn't really been scrubbed correctly or thoroughly. As nobody had sat there before us (we were one of the first down), they weren't already used. we asked a waitress if she could bring us some clean ones and showed her so that we could finish breakfast with a nice cuppa. She muttered something incomprehensible looking grumpy and started stacking, taking them away. She never came back.

Having finished our tea, we got our bags packed, handed in our keys and left for the Harry Potter tour, our trip to the chiltern now at an end.

Overall, I think the hotel needs some serious work. I can see from previous reviews that the managers have responded to comments but nothing has ever improved over the months. It is the same problems recurring again and again and never addressed. This excuse about them undergoing a refurb should not stop them from being able to keep the existing rooms clean and up to health and safety standards surely, nor should it prevent their staff from being friendly and able to cope with the demands of the business?

There is a lot of potential. The room itself was of a nice decor with a comfortable bed and the facilities you would want from a 3 star hotel. They really do need to sort out the cleaning, customer service and organisation. If they can do that, this would be a lovely little hotel. I appreciate with a coach tour that it is at a bargain price but there is a basic level of service and cleanliness which should be in practice. I would be very interested to see if the hotel's service ever does improve or if the same old reviews keep happening month after month.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Luton hotels

Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 2, 2013

stayed here for 1 night at the end of august in room 208, the bathroom was not very clean. hairs on the floor which I may add were not ours ! brown scum around the plughole in the sink also no plug, very bad stains around the plughole in the bath and mouldy sealant around the bath, holes and stains on the carpet and very badly marked furniture. the evening meal was chaotic due to a wedding in the hotel so we couldn't eat in the dining room we had to be accommodated in the bar area and they ran out of food ! so had to send out for some, on the plus side the bed was very comfy and the breakfast was nice. the waitresses worked hard and were pleasant, some of the rooms on the second floor were being refurbished but don't accept this as an excuse for the shabby rooms that were given to some of our party.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
LTN911, Manager at Chiltern Hotel, responded to this review, October 3, 2013
Dear Reviewer,

I am disappointed to note your feedback regarding your visit to Chiltern Hotel; I am very sorry that you felt the hotel did not meet with your expectations. Guest feedback of any nature, whether it be negative or positive is essential in monitoring whether our guests’ expectations are being met.

I am however pleased to hear your comments regarding the breakfast & staff; I know they will all take great satisfaction from your feedback.

I do hope you will have an opportunity to return to Chiltern Hotel, when you can be assured of our personal attention.

Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 25, 2013

Stayed here with my children on the 3rd aug for a Harry potter weekend with national holidays and I was appalled to see the state of my room. It was on the 3rd floor and they gave my daughter a matress with a urine stain on it to sleep on on the floor. The put up bed they gave me had no support on it. The room was stuffy and hot and the air conditioning gave out dust instead of air which effected my daughter as she has asthma. The shower was mouldy I would not put a dog in it never mind my children. I had two chairs with vomit stains and ripped I daren't sit on them. The wallpaper was peeling off plus there was a massive gap in the curtains where they would not close together. I took photos of it all and it was disgraceful. Plus the food was terrible the chicken was undercooked and pink. They did not do kids meals which was disgusting so they gave us 6 chicken nuggets between 7 kids and a small bowl of chips. The staff was rude and arrogant.. They offered me another room but I refused as it meant separating with my children which I was not going to do. The staff just looked at me stupid and kept blaming the tour company. I was surprised myself and my children came out alive. Please anyone who is thinking about staying at this hotel don't as it's appalling and dirty.

Room Tip: Don't come here at all