“Ok for an overnight”
Review of Chiltern Hotel

Chiltern Hotel
Ranked #21 of 27 Hotels in Luton
Reviewed May 28, 2013

The hotel room, 104, was clean and reasonably equipped although we did have a problem getting 2 bath towels for each of our 3 nights. I think the hotel is more used to single occupants.
We travelled as part of a group with Diamond Holidays, the organisation of which left an awful lot to be desired, awful being the operative word.
Bed, cooked breakfast and dinner were included in the deal. For the included meal on the first night I was served 2 small sausages, mash and peas. There was a vegetarian pasta option. The food was edible but that is the only compliment I would give it. Needless to say we did not stay for the included meal on the subsequent nights.
We had a meal in the bar the following night, reasonable value and much better quality than the dining room. We would have tried the hotel restaurant but it is closed weekends. We found a local pub for our final night dinner.
The Chiltern hotel is ok for an overnight, not a holiday.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
LTN911, Manager at Chiltern Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2013

I was very sorry to read your comments on TripAdvisor and may I firstly apologize for the inconvenience caused and the disappointment you experienced.

Our normal standards do not reflect the points within your report and we are very sorry to have let both ourselves and you down on this occasion.

We are very sorry for this and will endeavor to improve our systems as soon as possible.

Please do not hesitate to contact me directly at the hotel if you are considering another visit to Luton , on this occasion I will ensure you have the best possible rate along with a welcome “cup of peace” drink of choice on arrival.

Reviewed May 26, 2013

I stay here lots with my work. As you can see by the mixed reviews, it all depends on the room you get. The hotel is slowly refurbishing it rooms. When I check in, if my room isn't on the 1st floor, I'll ask for one. 3rd floor rooms are not refurbished, some done on 2nd floor (I think).

The hotel is regularly fully booked, so people will always get the worse rooms, the unfinished rooms, the rooms without TV's etc. and those are the people that feel strongly enough to leave reviews.

The truth is if you ask for a refurbished room, or if you check in early enough, this is a great hotel to stay in: nice, modern clean rooms. Great bathrooms and showers. Flat screen TV's etc. Bar area is clean and comfortable and service is good. Staff behind reception are also very accommodating.

Restaurant food is very basic however, very limited menu choice. Breakfast is not the best TBH, buffet style so everything is always dried out and rock solid, but at least there is a good choice.

Overall, if you get it at a decent room price then you are on to a winner here.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a refurbished room. I recommend 1st floor room
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business

I read with interest the recent comments you have posted on Trip Advisor.

We are extremely grateful for your support and I have ensured that all members of staff have seen your comments and they join me in extending their thanks.

The motivation our teams get from positive feedback is crucial to our success and balances any reports which we receive which are not so complimentary. We accept these as part of our duty to improve and know that we don’t always get it right.

Anil johnson

Reviewed April 23, 2013

I was disappointed upon check in to find out that my room didn't have a TV, this was especially frustrating because the hotel advertises having televisions in every room on their website. I was informed that because they were fully booked the only rooms they had left were ones without TVs which was unacceptable as I had booked my room in advance. I was offered a discount on the rate of my room by the receptionist who was quite accommodating given the situation however I was still very miffed that I would be staying in a room without a television. I have to say the room I stayed in was modern and had good furnishings but was quite clearly an unfinished room. Although this was a one off trip to Luton I would think twice about returning to this particular hotel.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Elizabeth L
LTN911, Manager at Chiltern Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 12, 2013

I was very sorry to read your comments on Trip Advisor and may I firstly apologize for the inconvenience caused and the disappointment you experienced.

We are working our way through a refurbishment of all rooms at The Hotel and have completed the first Floor with a further 29 about to commence in September 2013 . I say this not as an excuse but occasionally some standards are overlooked during busy periods.

We are very sorry for this and will Endeavor to improve our systems as soon as possible.

Please do not hesitate to contact me directly at the hotel if you are considering another visit to Luton , on this occasion I will ensure you have the best possible allocation upgrade to one of our newly refurbished rooms and the lowest possible rate along with a welcome “cup of peace” drink of choice on arrival.

Reviewed April 9, 2013

There are most likely better places to stay but a lot more worse places. The hotel is basic but clean, everything you want for a one night stay.
The big plus about this hotel are the staff. Everyone of them will bend over backwards for you, nothing is to much trouble.
Have not ate there on an evening but the breakfast is very very good.
The bar is a very good price also

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank daz5971

Reviewed March 22, 2013

Awful night - my name had not been recorded on the booking form, and the staff were unhelpful in finding it. My phone battery was low, so I asked to check my emails at the hotel to get a booking reference and the staff member walked away and went back to his own pc, leaving a girl to cash up to help me. Only when I eventually got a reference number from my email did they then find the problem was with them and the booking had not been crossed referenced. The problem itself was not an issue but the rudeness was and this was heightened when I was then called 'sir' once the mistake had been rectified.

This problem took 30 minutes to rectify.

I was so angry, again, not at the problem, but the rudeness, I didn't sleep.

Definitley go somewhere else.

PS The rooms are dated, and not particulary clean.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank PG24A

We are working our way through a refurbishment of all rooms at The Hotel and have completed the first Floor with a further 29 about to commence in September 2013 . I say this not as an excuse but occasionally some standards are overlooked during busy periods and this combined with our refurbishment programme and the “off sale” rooms it creates in our system can lead to errors both in efficiency, checking and room allocation.
We are very sorry for this and will Endeavour to improve our systems as soon as possible.

Reviewed March 13, 2013 via mobile

Only spent a night here but everything in the room worked fine, the reception staff were friendly and helpful, wifi was reliable and the bed was comfortable. I think I must have got a good deal as I think the value for money was great

• Stayed: March 2013

Anil johnson

Reviewed March 3, 2013

hotel needs updating .bathroom poor black grouting shower did not work properly.although was clean.had to pay for a taxie to the airport cost £10 there and £15 back.where in other hotels it was included in your stay.evan the hilton.food was good,staff very friendly.

Room Tip: ask for a good room
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo

Dear Guest,

We are working our way through a refurbishment of all rooms at The Hotel and have completed the first floor with a further 29 about to commence in September 2013. I say this not as an excuse but occasionally some standards are overlooked during busy periods.

We are very sorry for this and will endeavour to improve our systems as soon as possible.