“One night stop”
Review of Chiltern Hotel

Chiltern Hotel
Ranked #20 of 26 Hotels in Luton
Reviewed October 19, 2012

Had a two day break and stayed overnight at the Chiltern.
The checking was quick and efficient and my room had been refurbished and was very clean with an excellent bathroom. My understanding is all the rooms are being refurbished. When I was there they were refurbishing rooms on the 3rd floor. The hotel has had new windows and I found nothing wrong here. It has a bar and the service was good and not way overpriced, I had an inclusive meal and had no complaints about that. It was a good stopover place for my weekend. Yes I would recommend it. My room was on the first floor and I believe all the rooms on the first and second floors have been completed.

Room Tip: Ask for a refurbished room
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Edward B

Reviewed September 28, 2012

The Chiltern Hotel is being refurbished, new windows included so it has scaffolding up which detracts from appearance and inside it looks as if it used to be something other than a hotel. We stayed for one night with eight nights parking and airport transfers included and it did exactly 'what it said on the tin'. When we checked in I was horrified to realise I'd got my booking dates wrong, they'd been expecting us the previous night! I have to say the reception staff were excellent, understanding & helpful and resolved my mistake without any fuss.
The Chiltern Hotel as it stands at the moment is functional, they have a bar & restaurant, reasonable prices and good food, there is free wifi access in the bar/lounge area, they arrange airport transfers to Luton which is about 15 minutes away, the taxi company was quick & efficient, the room and bathroom were clean and everything worked as it should and there was sufficient hanging space for a single night stay but anything more than two nights and you might be struggling for storage. Breakfast was reasonably priced for a hotel, a hot buffet to serve yourself but with eggs cooked to order.
If we choose to travel from Luton again then I will certainly be checking out the Chiltern's stay, park & fly packages.
if the refurb had all been finished it's very likely I'd have score this as a very good.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Bettie_Booker
Reviewed September 17, 2012

Upon arrival at the Hotel my husband and I were shocked to find the first thing I saw was the poor quality of the leather sofa sitting in the lounge window, badly worn along the back. The reception area looked ok and the staff were very friendly.
Room 312, well what can I say.....absolutely disgusting! Whilst I appreciate the hotel is being refurbished, I expected our room to be clean. Took my shoes off but soon put them back on as the carpet hadn't been hovered for a few weeks at least. Someone has already posted photos of what looks to be the same room, broken toilet handle, sink and bath covered in lime scale, couldn't use the shower as it was clogged up with lime scale and dirt. To my shock those photos were actually posted in June 2011, we stayed 15 months later and nothing has changed!
It wasn't just us, our friends had to be moved twice because their rooms were disgusting too.
Please get some proper housekeepers and clean up your rooms, like I said, you may be in the middle of refurbishment but this is no excuse to let the older rooms become this way. You pay your housekeeps to clean don't you, the only thing they did during our stay was empty the bin and replenish the tea and sugar.
All that said, the food was quite good!

Room Tip: Ensure you ask for a newly refurbished room.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lisa W
Reviewed September 16, 2012

the room was nice and clean with a great shower but the hotel lacks ambience. The taxi company they use for transfers were late, rude and the driver we had drove like an idiot. Not welcoming all in all and half an hour from the airport. I will stay nearer the airport next time and pay for parking.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 16, 2012

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 29, 2012

Had to go to Luton on business and booked the Hotel I booked a single but got a double. It worked out cheaper than a Travel Lodge but was far more comfortable and had the advantage of having a bar and Restraunt on the ground floor. The staff were very friendly and efficient and the room was really clean and a good standard with tea making facilities etc.

It was well placed and had good parking to the front of the Hotel. I didnt eat in thinking it would be pricey to eat but when I went to the bar I had a look at the menu and it was varied and the meals were not expensive so I wished I had eaten there rather than wander about looking for a Pub to have meal.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front overlook the main road but not really a problem
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank JCarroll471
Reviewed August 28, 2012

Staff helpful. The Hotel needs updating. The rooms were clean but would not use the shower or bath. Toaster at breakfast kept tripping out so waited a long time to have toast so gave up and had cold toast.
Glad we were only staying one night.
Wouldn't stay again.