“Sacked at the last minuite !”
Review of Pines Hotel

Pines Hotel
Ranked #16 of 27 Hotels in Luton
Reviewed April 1, 2014

unfortunately we didnt get to stay at the lovely pines hotel ( which we booked well in advance !) we got a phone call the day we were due to check in advising us that there was no room despite our reservation ! I would advise book somewhere more reliable when going to important engagements as they seem to cater more for block bookings and dont mind sacking single occupants on the day of check in . Disgusting ! well anoyed and ruined our day .

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
6  Thank markihall

Reviewed March 6, 2014

Was staying here for a business trip and found everything perfect. The staff upon arrival were welcoming and friendly and recommended the good at the pub. I took her advice and had an evening meal which was delicious and great value for money. Only bad thing is I won't be there for the weekend entertainment which the locals say us a great night - night have to do a business trip over the weekend! Lovely hidden gem

• Stayed: March 2014
Reviewed February 23, 2014

My partner and I planned a week’s break in February at several locations around England to celebrate my birthday. We stayed here for two nights after our usual Premier Inn (Luton South) was fully booked, we paid £50 per night and were in room 2.

Basically, this is more a set of rooms above a rowdy pub in a rough area than a functioning hotel. If you want to stay in an outdated room above the noisiest pub in the country where domestics are commonplace – this is the place for you. If you want a relaxing break – go somewhere else. If you want a peaceful night’s sleep – go somewhere else. If you want value for money – go somewhere else.

Firstly, the reception is not a reception; it is an unmanned desk at which you have to pick up the receiver of a phone and wait at least ten minutes for one of the bar staff to hear it and check you in. We had to have a battle with the barmaid who checked us in as for some reason she did not know we had prepaid for the hotel using laterooms.com. We selected a ‘triple room’ when we made the booking as that was the only option, however we were only given a twin. The room was small but functional.

We got very little sleep; it was both too warm and too noisy to get any sort of rest. There is no way to control the heating, and because the radiators were on nonstop throughout our stay the room became extremely warm. It was too windy to have the window open, and if we had have opened them it would have made getting to sleep even more difficult because of the noise being made by people drinking in the hotel grounds.

On our first day we made our way down to the ‘restaurant’ at around 7pm, only to turn straight back out and head off to a proper restaurant. By no stretch of the imagination could it be considered a restaurant. It is quite simply an extremely rowdy pub full of noisy men drinking themselves silly. As we later found out it carried on well into the night, and even when the pub finally closed we were kept awake into the early hours by people coming to bed, slamming doors, talking loudly and even shouting at one and other. Both nights were exactly the same.

There was also a fight at the pub on the first night at around 11pm. A couple had an argument which escalated into a full blown fight involving a screaming match and punches being thrown. Around ten other individuals then joined in, having an almighty bust-up which spilled out into the street and went on for about an hour. There were several times we almost phoned the police. Bearing in mind this was midweek I dread to think what it is like on a weekend.

The rooms were clean, although it was concerning that there were about half a dozen cigarette burns on the carpet, and a mouldy sweet under one of the beds. The en-suite was tiny – there is only a shower which has more mood swings than a hormonal teenager. There was a hairdryer – but it was fixed into the drawer on a tiny lead and quite frankly my hair would have dried quicker in the Amazonian Rainforest. I have short hair and it took me half an hour to dry it, and even then it wasn’t done properly. There was very little parking, on both evenings we had to park in the street because the car park was full of pub goers. Everything in the hotel is extremely dated – despite them claiming to have done a recent refurbishment – it’s as if it’s stuck in the seventies. All staff completely ignore the guests, seemingly only interested in serving the drunken pub goers, and anything they do say to you is usually impolite and rude.

Also, don’t expect breakfast to be included in the price – it isn’t and you’ll have to have an argument with the staff if you think it was included when you booked. We were too tired to argue and quite frankly didn’t fancy staying any longer than was necessary. When we checked out the only words the barmaid uttered were "have you paid?"

It market’s itself as ‘the friendliest hotel in Luton’ – if that is true then goodness knows what the other hotels in the area are like! It is no place for couples or families with children.

We paid £50 a night to stay here. To stay the same nights in the Premier Inn it was £35 per night. Don’t waste your money.

Room Tip: Take earplugs.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Pugliv
Reviewed February 9, 2014

A fantastic overnight stay.
The initial interaction with Maggie was warm and welcoming. Eddie and his colleagues could not have been any more accommodating..we were included in their staff evening out to see a live band at another venue and given several options re mealtimes earlier in the evening.

Room was clean and fit for purpose.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 5, 2013

My husband and I travelled from Essex with another couple and stayed here last weekend on a Saturday night as it was just round the corner from the hall where we were attending a family party. After reading the reviews on here I wasn't expecting a great night however I am pleased to say I had a lovely night. The check in was easy, the staff friendly and helpful and the room was clean and had everything you needed. The bar was busy when we arrived (5.30 pm) with mainly locals but you don't have to go in there if you choose not to. We did go in for a night cap about at about midnight and there were a few people having a quiet drink but it soon emptied out and we were told that as residents we were welcome to have more drinks if we wished. We went off for a very peaceful night sleep and a lovely full English in the morning. I would consider myself quite fussy on where I stay and would definitely stay here again should I need to.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 3, 2013

If you want to stay up until the early hours of the morning and take part in lots of drinking and loud conversation then this is the place for you. However if you are hoping for a very pleasant stay then go somewhere else. Our room was very small - double bed pushed up against the wall - small ensuite with no window - ugh - small towels which didn't cover much - and we are not huge people! Like a ghost town when we arrived - you have to pick up a handset and then someone eventually arrived - very pleasant young man but thank goodness I had my booking print out with me as he wanted to charge extra for breakfast - no way sunshine - already paid! Certainly not a ghost town when we arrived back about 10pm - the weather was hot and it seemed as if everyone was outside - which was fair enough but we didn't expect the noise and drinking to carry on well into the early hours. We were very tired having travelled a long way so did manage to drop off - I woke up at 12.30 - still all going on - dozed off again - same at 1.30 - then at 2.30am it seemed to go quiet - yippee! - then at 3.00am more chat and banging about with something - probably tables - then finally peace! So will we stay there again - not if you paid us!

Room Tip: Don't choose one - that's my tip!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank maureenbaier B
Reviewed May 27, 2013

I only spent one night here, because I needed a place to stay to catch an early flight. The staff was friendly and the place was clean and nice. There is a pub on the main floor which looks good, but I did not have the time to try it. It can be a little noisy (but there was the champions' league final on that day),

It is not far from the airport and they called a taxi to pick me up in the morning. Also, pretty good price. Overall, I recommend it.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo