“Good place to stay”

Ranked #15 of 25 Hotels in Luton
Victoria, Canada
“Good place to stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2013

I only spent one night here, because I needed a place to stay to catch an early flight. The staff was friendly and the place was clean and nice. There is a pub on the main floor which looks good, but I did not have the time to try it. It can be a little noisy (but there was the champions' league final on that day),

It is not far from the airport and they called a taxi to pick me up in the morning. Also, pretty good price. Overall, I recommend it.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Enrico S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Leeds, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2013

What can I say about this place? There were 4 of us (3 adults, 1 child) staying in a family room @ Pines Hotel, Luton and we booked this place back in January for a very good price of £85 which included breakfast. We hadn't looked at TripAdvisor prior (something which I always do when booking hotels, but we were on a budget) so went with an open mind, and their website certainly looked nice.

Upon arrival at around 4pm, there was noone on the check-in desk, so we lifted the handset of their phone - as advised - and eventually after about 10mins someone came out. We handed them our booking confirmation, and the lady said it would cost us £6.50 extra per person. I pointed out that it was a free breakfast, to which resulted in a full blown argument between us, with me pointing out that we PAID for breakfast in the price, as per the confirmation email. She then went off to speak to someone about it (Manager apparently was up in Scotland) and came back to say we were right, it was only recently they started to charge for breakfasts and we had booked it back in January so had to honour it. No apology.

So off we went to our room - noticing that the place wasn't looking too friendly in the bar/restaurant area. When we entered the room, it looked clean and tidy - which was a good sign. One double bed and 2 singles which was fine. However, some of the plug sockets didn't work, so it could be classed as dangerous. Also, the balcony door was locked and no key.

My grand daughter wanted to use the free Wi-Fi so called reception to ask for it. The woman hung up on her, so I went down to ask for it in person.

Anyway, at about 6:30pm, we decided to head down to the restaurant only to be told that today the restaurant closed at 5pm. It is SATURDAY and you closed at 5pm?! Nothing on their website stated this. So we had to head down Marsh Road to find a chippie.
It's a pretty rough area.

Back to the room, we ate our food. Now, it was starting to get loud down stairs in the bar with music being played at night club levels (no joke). This went on to about 12:30am when we fell asleep due to exhaustion - and it was still going strong!

Next morning we went down for breakfast at 8am - which was actually the highlight of our stay at Pines Hotel. It was lovely and the lady serving us was nice, even with our strange order came out fine.

The bathroom sink... well, forget having a wash. If you fill the sink with water and put the plug in, you cannot push the plug to pop it up! You have to use a glass to scoop out the water and put it down the toilet until there isn't enough pressure to stop the plug from popping back up!

My mother was born in Luton in the '40's and I mentioned this hotel. Yes, it has always been an Irish pub. It's always been a bit rough - so probably not advisable for families.

Would we stay here again? No.
Would we recommend to others? No.

Room Tip: Avoid this place if you have a family. Fine if you fancy a drunken night out and don't want to g...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank James_and_Julia

Travelers are raving about these Luton hotels

Southampton, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2013

Whatever you do, don’t give this hotel your credit card details. I was charged twice (in two consecutive months) for a one night stay, and I would have been charged in subsequent months if I hadn’t noticed.

On reporting the issue, the manager wouldn’t refund my money without me sending him a copy of my credit card statement. Having had my credit card details abused once already, I felt this would be something of an unnecessary security risk. Apparently the hotel was unable to check from its own accounts whether two payments had been made from the same account on the dates I reported. I have no idea what ridiculous accounting processes it uses, but they obviously don’t work.

After numerous emails with the manager – during which he became increasingly unhelpful – I gave up and proceeded to make a claim through my credit card company.

On my final correspondence with the manager (after I had contacted my credit card company), he told me that in these circumstances, “usually the card company makes contact via letter”. So – by his own admission – it seems that this is not an isolated incident. I repeat what I said at the start: whatever you do, don’t give this hotel your credit card details.

The website states that this is “the friendliest hotel in Luton!”, which I can only assume is a joke. The hotel doesn’t have a proper reception and it certainly doesn’t have proper reception staff. The people who answer the phone are some of the rudest hotel staff that I have ever encountered. So either it’s a joke, or you should avoid staying anywhere in Luton unless you’re hoping for impoliteness and verbal abuse.

As for the rooms, they’re mediocre. Not unacceptable, but not worth recommending, and certainly not worth the hassle.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Anna_2002_23
Edward D, Owner at Pines Hotel, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
This review troubles me. Upon receiving the news I tried to act as soon as I could to resolve the situation so I proceeded to ask the guest to send confirmation of the card that was debited I received the last 4 digits of her card I then checked them against the card details we had securely stored, they did not match. She then kept asking for compensation for her time. I obviously refused and she threatened me with writing this review. I then asked for proof that the card had been debited she refused to send anything.
So to sum everything up, the guest had card details debited that did not match the ones we had filed securely, also refused to send proof that her card had been debited, she then proceeded to repeatedly ask for some form of reimbursement.
And for the record we have completely refurbished our hotel rooms, and hallways and we recently received a 5 star rating from Luton borough council for food hygiene an cleanliness.
Bradford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2012

I stayed at The Pines overnight on 19th November as I was down in Luton on business. I read a couple of the non-complimentary reviews but decided to make my own mind up. I'm glad I did. The room was very clean and comfortable, the bar food and breakfast was very good and the hospitality/ friendliness of the staff excellent. Overall great value for money and would recommend. For those who didn't enjoy their stay you we're either very unlucky or are very picky.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank U00272
luton
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2012

I havent stayed here ,but we have had a few sunday dinners here and they are proper home made sunday dinners like your mum would make in the good sense
there is an irish bar attached and it is one of the few authentic Irish bars left in Luton
if you like a pint of Guinness and a bit of craic this is the place for you
its definitely not a quiet venue but to my mind has character

Room Tip: get a room at the back if you can
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Norwich, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2012

The taxi dropped me off at about 10:00 pm and there was no one at reception. The bar was packed, almost exclusively with rough looking men in work clothes. Apparently it is popular with 'travellers', which is to say people of Romany origin, not commercial travellers.

There is a slimy-looking plastic water feature in the tiny lobby, which smells strongly of mould and cigarettes. Crowds of men stand just outside the door smoking, and it all blows back in.

Having given up any other way of getting attention, I had to push through the crowd to the bar. Carrying my cases as it did not look the sort of place to leave them unattended. I would not say I was sexually harassed as such, but it was not a comfortable experience, with whistles, suggestive remarks and a few 'accidental' contacts.

The barmaid seemed to be the only female in the room apart from me, but she still managed to ignore me until I raised my voice after 10 minutes, then she was very unfriendly. Apparently it was a great nuisance to arrive so late and very inconsiderate of me. Five or six leering men wanted to carry my cases up to the room. I was absolutely terrified.

The room was not very clean and the noise went on all night. I put a chair under the door handle and did my best to sleep. I think if anyone had knocked on the door I would have screamed. I was late for my meeting next day and completely messed up my presentation. Thank you Pines.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
5 Thank MissRuthy
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2012

My daughter and her boyfriend needed to be at Luton airport for 8am so rather than drive from Yorkshire in the early hours we booked The Pines Hotel.

First impressions were good, we parked the car easily and then booked in fairly quickly. We were in Room 5/ Family room on the first floor. The room looked as if had been recently refurbished, the bathroom was very clean and had a very large shower, the mixer tap on the sink gave alternative temperatures to the colours shown, resulting in my daughter burning her hand.

We had 3 beds and they all had spotless white bedding on. The TV could be seen from all of the beds but had a bedside table in front of it with a large lamp on which blocked the view! I think the electric sockets need a bit of thought too, the ones near the beds are above the fixed wooden headboards and none of our chargers would fit in. The kettle had to be balanced on a chair while it boiled as the flex was too short for it to go on the floor or the dresser.

As my daughter was leaving before breakfast she was offered a packed lunch which was a nice touch. The staff were very helpful and booked her taxi for the morning too.

AND NOW THE FUN BEGINS!
At 1am we were still awake due to the loud music from the bar and the shouting and swearing from the smoking terrace below our room. I rang down to reception and was told the music was just being switched off, they said they would also go and ask the people outside to come in. I don't know which door in the pub it was, every time this particular door banged shut the walls of our room and the bex shook. Eventually by 1.30am we managed to doze off only to be woken at 4am by a resident shouting up to his wife as he'd lost his key. After dozing again we awoke abruptly at 4.45am as the man was scrambling about on the roof below and trying to climb in the windows. We jumped up to close the windows and saw that he'd fallen flat on his back! There was no reply when we rang reception so we ended up going down and ringing from the reception phone, a night porter answered and said he would come. We got back to our room and looked out of the window and the mystery man had gone - thankfully not in our room.

So after a total of 4 and a half hours sleep my other daughter and I went down to breakfast, the young gentleman (who I believe was the owner's son) was extremely apologetic and said this was the first problem of this nature that they had had.

AND BACK TO THE GOOD!
The breakfast room is lovely, a bright and clean area and well set out. There is a choice of cereal, juice, tea and coffee, toast and a variety of jams. We both had a full English breakfast and it was cooked to order, the eggs were perfectly dippy!

Due to our lack of sleep we were allowed to keep our room for an extra hour but didn't manage to get any further sleep, the decorator was in and began scraping wallpaper on the wall next to our room. Overall I still think a nights stay here is better than driving through the night.

Unfortunately due to all the antics here I can only give 3- Average rather than the 4 - Good that I would have given.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family