“proper sunday dinner”
Review of Pines Hotel

Pines Hotel
Ranked #15 of 27 Hotels in Luton
Reviewed November 18, 2012

I havent stayed here ,but we have had a few sunday dinners here and they are proper home made sunday dinners like your mum would make in the good sense
there is an irish bar attached and it is one of the few authentic Irish bars left in Luton
if you like a pint of Guinness and a bit of craic this is the place for you
its definitely not a quiet venue but to my mind has character

Room Tip: get a room at the back if you can
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed October 12, 2012

The taxi dropped me off at about 10:00 pm and there was no one at reception. The bar was packed, almost exclusively with rough looking men in work clothes. Apparently it is popular with 'travellers', which is to say people of Romany origin, not commercial travellers.

There is a slimy-looking plastic water feature in the tiny lobby, which smells strongly of mould and cigarettes. Crowds of men stand just outside the door smoking, and it all blows back in.

Having given up any other way of getting attention, I had to push through the crowd to the bar. Carrying my cases as it did not look the sort of place to leave them unattended. I would not say I was sexually harassed as such, but it was not a comfortable experience, with whistles, suggestive remarks and a few 'accidental' contacts.

The barmaid seemed to be the only female in the room apart from me, but she still managed to ignore me until I raised my voice after 10 minutes, then she was very unfriendly. Apparently it was a great nuisance to arrive so late and very inconsiderate of me. Five or six leering men wanted to carry my cases up to the room. I was absolutely terrified.

The room was not very clean and the noise went on all night. I put a chair under the door handle and did my best to sleep. I think if anyone had knocked on the door I would have screamed. I was late for my meeting next day and completely messed up my presentation. Thank you Pines.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
5  Thank MissRuthy
Reviewed August 16, 2012

My daughter and her boyfriend needed to be at Luton airport for 8am so rather than drive from Yorkshire in the early hours we booked The Pines Hotel.

First impressions were good, we parked the car easily and then booked in fairly quickly. We were in Room 5/ Family room on the first floor. The room looked as if had been recently refurbished, the bathroom was very clean and had a very large shower, the mixer tap on the sink gave alternative temperatures to the colours shown, resulting in my daughter burning her hand.

We had 3 beds and they all had spotless white bedding on. The TV could be seen from all of the beds but had a bedside table in front of it with a large lamp on which blocked the view! I think the electric sockets need a bit of thought too, the ones near the beds are above the fixed wooden headboards and none of our chargers would fit in. The kettle had to be balanced on a chair while it boiled as the flex was too short for it to go on the floor or the dresser.

As my daughter was leaving before breakfast she was offered a packed lunch which was a nice touch. The staff were very helpful and booked her taxi for the morning too.

AND NOW THE FUN BEGINS!
At 1am we were still awake due to the loud music from the bar and the shouting and swearing from the smoking terrace below our room. I rang down to reception and was told the music was just being switched off, they said they would also go and ask the people outside to come in. I don't know which door in the pub it was, every time this particular door banged shut the walls of our room and the bex shook. Eventually by 1.30am we managed to doze off only to be woken at 4am by a resident shouting up to his wife as he'd lost his key. After dozing again we awoke abruptly at 4.45am as the man was scrambling about on the roof below and trying to climb in the windows. We jumped up to close the windows and saw that he'd fallen flat on his back! There was no reply when we rang reception so we ended up going down and ringing from the reception phone, a night porter answered and said he would come. We got back to our room and looked out of the window and the mystery man had gone - thankfully not in our room.

So after a total of 4 and a half hours sleep my other daughter and I went down to breakfast, the young gentleman (who I believe was the owner's son) was extremely apologetic and said this was the first problem of this nature that they had had.

AND BACK TO THE GOOD!
The breakfast room is lovely, a bright and clean area and well set out. There is a choice of cereal, juice, tea and coffee, toast and a variety of jams. We both had a full English breakfast and it was cooked to order, the eggs were perfectly dippy!

Due to our lack of sleep we were allowed to keep our room for an extra hour but didn't manage to get any further sleep, the decorator was in and began scraping wallpaper on the wall next to our room. Overall I still think a nights stay here is better than driving through the night.

Unfortunately due to all the antics here I can only give 3- Average rather than the 4 - Good that I would have given.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank MaureenR098
Reviewed July 4, 2012

We stayed at the Pines the night before flying from Luton Airport. There were 3 of us and we needed 3 separate beds. None of the other airport hotels were able to accommodate us as most family rooms are a double and a twin. Originally wanted hotel with airport parking but booked parking separately as it worked out cheaper once we found Pines Hotel. Hotel clean, room a good size for 3 beds. Bathroom adequate. Food acceptable. Only downside was the Polish builders who were in the bar when we had dinner at 6.30pm and still keeping me awake at 12am shouting, singing and banging. Unfortunately our room was directly above where they were sitting in the bar. Wish the staff had told them to shut up and go to bed but they probably would have carried making noise in their rooms anyway. Think I finally got to sleep about 2am when they finally shut up. Overall, hotel is good value for money and close to the airport.

• Stayed: June 2012
2  Thank 1Angelbear
Reviewed June 24, 2012

This was a great little stay for a B&B. A good bed for the night, Irish Pub underneath us, round the corner from taxi rank, and good bathroom facilities.

It is a shame we only got to stay for one night, as we would have loved to have been there longer. The help from the staff there was impeccable. Always willing to help us out and meet our every need. From ordering a taxi for us, which they offered to do, not us asking, to simply telling us the wifi password. The bar staff gave off an open and friendly vibe and were very easy to talk to.

The value for money was excellent too. £75 for a 4 person room, and split between 3 of us only £25 each, with a full English included in the morning to start our day!

As mentioned, the room was fine, comfy beds and pillows, bedside lamps and a nice, modern bathroom and shower. Easily accessible radiator and windows to control in-room climate, and curtains that definitely don't let the sun in at 0600 if you want a lie in!

Will definitely come back to this hotel if we're ever in or near Luton again. Definitely a ***** al rounder.

Room Tip: Nearest pub is just downstairs! Make sure to scout out the sockets in the room.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 10, 2012

I am writing this review from the hotel bed. It is 2.08 am and I cannot sleep for reasons which will become clear.
Booked this hotel purely because it was the closest one to the venue of my business meeting which will be in six hours time. Should have listened to the warning bells which rang when the receptionist quoted me a rate of "between £45-50 since its our last room".
Flight arrived late, got to hotel at 11.30 pm, no receptionist, just lots of drunken revellers who assumed that because I was of asian appearance I must be the taxi driver they were waiting for. (no amount of denial would persuade them otherwise).
Waited at reception desk for a total of twenty minutes during which I actually called the hotel several times in an effort to get someone to attend the desk. No joy. Eventually fought my way through the aforementioned inebriated crowd to get the attention of the bar person, who as it happened was also the receptionist. She finally came through to reception, (no apology), and handed me my room bill for £75 and said "you pay in advance".
Ooookaay! I challenged the amount compared to what I had been quoted and was told that there was no way anyone at the hotel would have quoted me "between £45-50". So now I was a liar, it was a quarter past midnight and raining cats and dogs. No alternative but to take the room.
Room was a triple room so fair size. Terrible bathroom with ancient suite and ripped linoleum. Towels had seen better days. Light switch above bed loose and made a funny noise when switched on or off. Quite disconcerting.
To top it off drunken revellers refusing to disperse so can be heard clearly through the inadequate glazing.
I am not expecting five star luxury but just because this hotel is cheap doesn't mean it has to be nasty.
unfortunately, it is and I cannot recommend it.

• Stayed: June 2012
10  Thank merijaan
Reviewed April 22, 2012

we have eaten at this steak night over the last few months always been very good
also all the staff have always been very helpful and polite
Will also be trying the main menu to as looks vey good

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple