“DISGUSTING DREADFUL ROOMS - you have been warned!”

Ibis London Luton Airport
Ranked #9 of 25 Hotels in Luton
Dublin, Ireland
“DISGUSTING DREADFUL ROOMS - you have been warned!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2011

I have never taken the time to write a review like this but we felt so stongly about our DREADFUL experience of this hotel that we just had to warn people. We booked this room in order to take an early flight back to Ireland en route from Fuertentura and it ruined the end of what was a very relaxing fabulous break. Whilst the staff were warm and welcoming on arrival all of this initial experience was quickly erradicated once we arrived at our room. On initial inspection of the room appeared very dated but clean enough and whilst we noticed a smell straight away, we were so tired after our journey we decided it wasn't too bad and after all it was just for one night. What a big mistake we should have run out of the place across the road to the Holiday Inn (It couldn't be as bad as this hotel) The longer we stayed in the room the worse the smell got. It smelled like stale cigarettes and dampness all mixed together and the smell just got stronger and stronger - after a couple of hours in the room I felt ill with the smell, but we were wrecked and my son was in his pj's ready for bed so moving rooms wasn't really an option (and would the next room have been any better???). We resigned ourselves to a night in a grotty hotel, but really wish we had packed up and left. We even decided it would have been better to sleep in the airport than stay in that hotel again!!!
Apart from the vile smell, the room was also far to small to accomodate a double bed and occasional bed that was folded down from the wall for our son as we barely had enough room to manouvere around the room. The bed was folded down from the wall with a small shelf under the window ledge,but overhanging the bed, housing a kettle and phone, which to us seemed a little dangerous as it was only a foot from the bed and due to the overhang of about 8 inches across the top of the bed, all I could think of was my Son banging his head off it during the night and all the things falling down on top of him. It looked like it was foldable, so after removing the kettle and phone we finally figured out how to fold the shelf down against the wall - why on earth wasn't this done for us given that someone was going to have to sleep in the bed that night?
The beds also weren't made up properly either, which we only realised when we eventually decided we had to try and get some sleep here, so we ended up tucking all the sheets in ourselves. The sheets and quilt covers that were on the bed were old grubby and more of a yellowy beige colour than the white colour they should have been and also didn't smell fresh and when we saw a few hairs on the sheet we were then worried that they weren't cleaned after the last guest, so instead of our normal sleeping attire, we pulled on long trackies and long sleeved tops - yuck.
The bed was the hardest bed I have ever tried to sleep on in a hotel and myself and my husbad didn't sleep a wink all night and I mean literally not a wink.
We ran out of this hotel at 5am and despite a very quick shower (bathroom was dated but clean) feeling grubby and disgusting and our clothes even smelled of the room the next day. I have never felt so happy to see 4am arrive on the clock, so that we could get out of this disgusting place.
HOW ON EARTH IS THIS HOTEL STILL IN BUSINESS? Are some of the other rooms re-furbished or something?? I could imagine they get their business because of their proximity to the airport, but I would be VERY surprised if they got any repeat business. AVOID THIS HOTEL LIKE THE PLAGUE!!!! DISGUSTING!!!!!!!!!!
Note to Hotel Management: I really don't want any response from this feedback from the hotel as nothing you can do can change the state of your hotel and our experience of it. You have to be commended on your staff though, as they were excellent, but can't understand why they would want to work in this hotel - the service from the staff will always be overshadowed until you do something about the state of the hotel rooms.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Dreadful_experience
NicolasPLESSIS, General Manager at Ibis London Luton Airport, responded to this review, February 3, 2011
Dear Guest,
I am sorry on this occasion that you were disappointed with your stay. I treat all feedback
with the utmost seriousness and am currently investigating the matter. Please feel free to
contact me directly to discuss this further.

Nicolas PLESSIS

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Essex
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2011

You only stay here for one reason, to get a decent nights sleep before an early flight. With uncomfortable beds, ultra thin walls and very overheated rooms - I had to open the window to cool the room down even though it was freezing outside - this cannot be guaranteed. You accept that, at this price, things will be basic but even by Ibis standards, staying at Luton airport is a nasty experience. Tiny room, uncomfortable bed and grubby surroundings - not nice . There is a newer Holiday Inn Express next door which looked altogether more attractive. Think that is where I will try next time.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
NicolasPLESSIS, General Manager at Ibis London Luton Airport, responded to this review, January 26, 2011
Dear Guest,
I’m so sorry that you were disappointed by your experience saying with us at the ibis Luton Airport. I appreciate the feedback and rest assured that we take all comments very seriously. We are looking into the matter, but feel free to contact me directly to discuss this further.
Nicolas PLESSIS

Travelers are raving about these Luton hotels

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2011

I stayed only for one night and all has been perfect.
Good service, friendly staff and the room is clean.
I use to stay at the hotel next door but now i will back here.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
NicolasPLESSIS, General Manager at Ibis London Luton Airport, responded to this review, January 24, 2011
Dear Guest,
I’m so glad that you had an enjoyable time during your stay at the ibis Luton Airport. I hope we can welcome you back to the property in the near future.
Bucharest
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2011

Hotel is well Positioned for Airport departures and no noise in the rooms from airplanes

Food in the restaurant for Dinner OK_tasty and convenient_ with a rate 8/10 but You might skip the breakfast . _ not a real value for money_,

Be aware if you already payed the stay by online booking. In case you do a 'Room Charge" in the restaurant they will later ask you to come and pay it.

I was woke up at 23.00 to eturn to restaurant and pay for the meal... Never hapened to me. and here is my biggest complain.

Overall Good Hotel, polite stuff, clean hotel, good location, Quiet...

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank ProHospitality
Dear Guest,
Many thanks for the positive comments, I’m happy we were able to make your stay with us so enjoyable. I hope we can welcome you back to the ibis Luton Airport again very soon.
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2011

Hotel was welcoming on arrival at late hour and fast to give me access to room. Would definitely stay again

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
Dear Guest,
I’m very grateful that you could take time to leave us your thoughts and write a review. I’m so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us, and we hope to see you again in the very near future. Kind regards,
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2011

I booked and paid for the hotel a few weeks ahead as I had an early flight to Warsaw where I was staying a few days in Mercure Grand - I am an A-club member.
I arrived at IBIS Luton in the early hours to be told my room had been resold to someone else - I was then shipped several miles into the centre of Luton to a lower grade hotel which was cold. This made me an hour later to bed and I had to rise an hour earlier to be sure of reaching the airport on time through the Luton traffic.
I have received no contact from the management since this time, have no invoice and presumably no A-club points - also no discount. What a shambles!
I know I was not the only person to lose their room.

Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
NicolasPLESSIS, General Manager at Ibis London Luton Airport, responded to this review, January 17, 2011
Dear Guest,

Further to your review regarding your stay at the IBIS Luton Airport, I wanted to offer you the following response.

In rare situations where a guaranteed reservation is not able to be honoured, it is our intention to ensure that appropriate alternative accommodation and transport is arranged, with a minimum of inconvenience and with no additional costs incurred by our guest. I sincerely regret that on this occasion, despite the best efforts of a staff member, the alternatives offered did not suit your requirements.

Please be assured that your comments will be reviewed with the front office team and the hotel with are currently working with in case of boom out.#

I hope this helps address your concerns but, in the meantime, let me thank you for taking the time to feedback to us. It is vitally important that we receive such feedback so that we might improve our product and service standards.