“Average and basic hotel”

Ibis London Luton Airport
Ranked #9 of 25 Hotels in Luton
Co.Down
“Average and basic hotel”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2013

We stayed here in Dec 2013 and although I have classed it as 'average' I would not intend to stay here again unless I really had to.
It was very handy to Luton airport, within walking distance (10 minute walk) which made it ideal for a business meeting we had to fly in for.
One of the irritants I frequently come across is in Reception area of a lot of UK (and Irish) hotels, for a hotel to be in the hospitality industry why do they insist on having receptionists whose first language is not English, this makes it more difficult for communication than should be necessary. Ibis Luton is not on its own in this matter unfortunately. Check in was relatively quick as we had pre-booked, however having walked to the room the swipe door key would not work, during our two day stay we had to have the key changed three times, not good. The room was very basic but clean and comfortable. The TV (with its 5 channels) would not work properly as it kept 'freezing' and eventually stopped working altogerther, on lifting the room phone to call reception by pressing the '0' I discovered that the '0' button was stuck so another trip to Reception was called for, we had a service guy come to fix both TV and Phone, he was successful with Phone but not TV. By this time I had asked for another room but was told that hotel was completely full and no other room was available.
Restaurant food was good and reasonably priced although their 8oz burger certainly was not 8oz in size, more like 4oz or with a push maybe 6oz but definately not 8oz. When paying for our restaurant meals we brought this to the attention of the waitress taking the payment and her response was 'Very sorry', that was it. Breakfast was good with a decent variety of options.
On check out next morning when asked if all was ok, I brought all this to their attention and they did reduce our bill which helped and the Receptionist asked why we had not asked for a change of room (which we did do) as apparently the hotel was not full at all.
If you are looking for a cheap hotel with a clean bed, close to airport, half decent food, then Ibis Luton will serve the purpose but there is a Holiday Inn Express across the road from it which we might just try the next time.
They say 'First impressions count', maybe Hotel owners and especially Receptionists need to be aware of this fact and trained accordingly.

Room Tip: The minute you arrive in room check that EVERYTHING works and if not, insist on an upgrade or at lea...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
IbisManagerLuton, General Manager at Ibis London Luton Airport, responded to this review, December 22, 2013
Dear Smileandbehappy,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at Ibis London Luton Airport. Although I am sorry to hear that you did not have a good stay. Please accept my sincere apologies for this. We are aware of the issue with the televisions and I am happy to say all bedrooms will have new televisions installed in January, which will greatly improve the service. I have shared your feedback with the team and made sure that the F&B team are now better prepared to answer guest queries regarding our menu descriptions with confidence regarding pre-cooked weights.

I would like to thank you again for all of your feedback and I want to assure you I have taken each point of yours and investigated how we can improve.

Yours Sincerely

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Exeter, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2013

Now, those of you have read my previous reviews......should really get out more.
However, Hilton in Luton take note.
This hotel was cheap, conveniently close to the terminal (we walked in the morning, it's that close), clean and tidy.
Quick check in, reasonable sized rooms, pub price drinks at the bar and ok food at a good price.
Amazingly (listen up Hilton) the room doors don't shut with about the same force and noise as an erupting volcano!!
The rooms are quiet and you can't really hear the airport with the windows shut.
Two problems that I found.
1st the room heater is extremely good and the room has excellent insulation. So good in fact that the room would not cool down even with the aircon on and the window open. In future I wont put it on in the first place, that should sort it.
The second was the complete opposite with the bar and restaurant area probably colder that where we were flying to.
Otherwise, for the price, location and comfort I will be using this as my Hotel for future trips out of Luton Airport.
Book it and see for youselves.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Cocobongoman
IbisManagerLuton, General Manager at Ibis London Luton Airport, responded to this review, December 20, 2013
Dear Cocobongoman,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a positive review of your recent stay with us at Ibis London Luton Airport. Being just short of 25 years old, we do strive to ensure we are constantly improving and maintaining so we can continue to offer our guests great value for money, whilst keeping up with the competition. We do listen to all of our feedback and I am happy to say that we are replacing all of our heating units in the bar/restaurant. I hope that next time you choose to stay with us, you can experience the difference this makes. Our team will be greatly encouraged by your comments.

Thank you once again.

Norwich, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2013

A great above average hotel at a budget price. Great walking distance to the airport. Nice resturant. Overall excellent vfm.

Checked out the other hotels in the area and this offered the best prices. Yet didn't cut corners. Lovely bed and great nights sleep. No noise from airport.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Philip M
Dear Philip M,

Thank you so much for rating us 5 out of 5! We appreciate you taking the time to tell everyone about the great experience you had during your stay at Ibis London Luton Airport. We really like receiving such positive reveiws as it makes all the hard work worth it! Your feedback will really motivate the team.

We look forward to being able to welcome you back to stay with us again in the future.

Stourbridge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2013

I stayed here for work. I found the room to be of an adequate size, and also quite clean. The TV was awful though, crap signal which meant I couldn't watch anything, also only had 5 channels, like something from the 80s. I couldn't be bothered to complain though as I was only there to work and not watch TV. Restaurant was good, well priced.The car park was a bit small and they charged for parking which after just spending 80 odd quid to stay there seemed a bit of a joke. Probably would come again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Dear Dan_H0pkins,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay at Ibis London Luton Airport. I appreciate receiving some positive feedback and I am happy to hear you enjoyed your stay on the whole. I do agree with your comments regarding our televisions and I am happy to say we will have an all new digital system with new televisions in place by the end of January.

I am glad you recommend us and we all hope to have the opportunity to welcome you once again in the future.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2013 via mobile

Ibis hotels are always of a specific standard that you would expect and this is comfortable and convenient. This hotel has all of the standard features ( clean, unfussy check in and check out) proximity to the airport is also excellent a good value choice for an early flight

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Robertndjones
IbisManagerLuton, General Manager at Ibis London Luton Airport, responded to this review, December 16, 2013
Dear Robertndjones,

We appreciate you taking the time to review your recent stay at Ibis London Luton Airport. I am glad that we fully met your expectation of the Ibis brand and that you were comfortable throughout your stay. The team will also be encouraged by your feedback.

Thank you once again and we look forward to be able to welcome you back again in the near future.

corby
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2013 via mobile

Modern hotel within the airport environs, a bit of a walk from hotel to terminal but better than waiting for transit bus, and the exercise will do you good. Room was a bit tight for size but clean and modern, food in the bar fine, good pleasant staff, the only minus for us was a couple of noisy fellow guests with plenty of door banging etc. I'd stop here again.

• Stayed October 2013
Dear bertthefish,

Thank you for your recent review regarding your stay at the Ibis London Luton Airport. I appreciate the good feedback for the team and the food in the restaurant.

I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again in the future for another enjoyable stay.