“A Diamond Discovery”
Review of Kildare Lodge

Kildare Lodge
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Minehead
Kildare Lodge
Ranked #9 of 12 Hotels in Minehead
Calgary, Canada
“A Diamond Discovery”
Reviewed May 3, 2014

After trying various Hotels in Minehead on regular visits to family, my wife and I discovered The Kildare. It is indeed perfectly situated for both driving access to all local areas, and also for walking into town and the sea front attractions.
I can only agree with the other satisfied guests and say that the quality is first class in all respects, for food , service, and friendliness. There is nothing better than to relax after a busy day in a warm comfortable bar. My one note would be to book early for Sunday Lunch as it is very popular.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank George L

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Braintree, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 14, 2013

My husband & I stayed with a couple of friends for one night and were extremely pleased with the accommodation, food and service, even the locals were friendly! The building was so interesting with many original fittings and fixtures. When viewing our photos we found window latches, hinges and the huge log fire. Our four posted bed was very comfortable in a pleasant room with a good hot shower. Hope to stay there again in the future. Wonderful stay, thank you.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 10, 2013

We stayed here on a recent trip to a racing stables nearby and was shown to a beautiful room.
The food was fantastic value with huge portions, friendly local bar ,excellent staff and prices.
Very friendly hosts and excellent value for money will defiantly go back soon.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 8, 2013

We know Minehead well, used to live here. When we return everything is different of course but we discovered that this place is now a great value hotel with good food and a cheery bar. This is where we'll come when return in future. Twice so far, and it gets better.

• Stayed August 2013
England
Reviewed August 4, 2013

My Husband and I, to-gether with our adult Daughter, stayed for two night at Kildare Lodge. Our Nephew and Niece from Donegal were with us. We ourselves are from the Wirral.
We were all given a very friendly welcome and shown our four rooms. Ours looked over the sea and towards Wales. We were all delighted with them. All clean, well equipped with flat screen TV's, Tea etc. Each had an En-suite and plenty of towels. Wi-fi too.
Kildare Lodge was built in the early 1900's, it is like walking back in history. The windows are the original Victorian Leaded small glass panes. Wooden Beams cross the ceilings. Little Windows look down from the upstairs to the lounges. It really is unique.
Plenty of car parking in the grounds and lovely flowers and hanging baskets.
The Owners Sarah and Harvey are so friendly and kind. Nothing seemed to trouble them. Always pleasant and making us feel at home.
The Breakfast, full English delicious. We were sorry we could not have any meals there in the evening but we were close to relatives in Minehead and ate evening meals with the,. What we saw and smelt of the food would make any ones mouth water.
I nearly forgot to mention the price - around £30 per night each. Fantastic Value.
Thank you Sarah and Harvey, you are top of my wish list for another visit.

Room Tip: Front of house.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Minehead, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 23, 2013

I reviewed the restaurant at the Kildare Lodge last year. As local residents, my wife and I eat here, especially when we want to treat visitors to a special meal out. Please read my previous review for my detailed opinion - just to say this time that this time, we took our best friends, staying with us for a few days, for an evening meal. They had been to the Kildare previously for a Sunday lunch but had not experienced the evening menu. They agreed with everything we had told them about how good it is!

I've seen a couple of reviews on TripAdvisor that have been less than complimentary and I really just don't understand what could have gone wrong on those occasions. We have eaten there many times and have never found the food and service anything other than perfect. If I was going to be picky, I might say that we had too much to eat on the table but for some people, of course, that would be a good thing! I just feel embarrassed at having to leave so many vegetables uneaten on the serving plates. Also, if I was going to be REALLY picky, the menu doesn't change a huge amount over a year. However, as I said before, the choice is so big to begin with that the casual visitor will have some difficulty in choosing what to eat anyway!

Some sceptics will look at my reviews and accuse me of always being complimentary and never finding anything wrong. Perhaps I've just been lucky but I think it's because I enjoy good food and service but accept that we are all human and the people who are serving me are doing their best and any slip-ups are unintentional - as I've said before in connection with another establishment we stayed at, what is important is not that something may go wrong but how that error is handled. Having said that, I've never had any cause for complaint at the Kildare and can recommend it 100% (for its restaurant anyway).

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Cappycat
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 18, 2013

This is truely an amazing place to stay both the location to the town it's quietness, Sarah and Harvey (the owners) are kind,considerate and friendly,nothing is too much trouble.
The food is out of this world and the portions are very generous, each meal is prepared fresh upon order and takes a while but it's definately worth the wait.
The rooms are very comfortable and well equipped and we had a lovely view of the gardens.
Would recommend this to young and old alike, feels like your stepping back in time when you walk though the door.
Will definately being come back.

Room Tip: Room 3 (four poster) is above the bar but is stunning and has lovely views of the garden and is nice...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Minehead
The Beach Hotel
#3 of 37 in Minehead
Waverley Bed & Breakfast
Waverley Bed & Breakfast
#17 of 37 in Minehead

Been to Kildare Lodge? Share your experiences!