“Excellent stay surrounded by animals”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Minehead
Hoburne Blue Anchor
Reviewed June 4, 2014

Having not been to West Somerset before I was very pleased with our accommodation which was changed to a disability friendly caravan when we needed it. Comfortable living space and good open plan rooms.

The beach was littered with dead fish that the anglers had caught and thrown back just as the tide was going out each evening ... they were rude and would not move to let us and our wheelchair past.

The pool, when being used by outside customers, gets too crowded and twice we had to wait for the pool to become once again a safe number. I understand that this must create a vital income for the facilities but if those same facilities are not prioritised for the use of the paying guests on site then it does make you feel like a second-class citizen. I really thought a bar or something similar was missing from the site especially when the main building and reception shut up shop at 6:30pm.

On-site store was great - but best to head into Minehead for essentials as a bottle of Blossom Hill Rose was £8.99 - no Blossom Hill is worth that!

The adventure playground is excellent and our families had a wonderful time.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Chrispassey
HoburneHolidays, Guest Relations Manager at Hoburne Blue Anchor, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2014

Hello and thanks for your review. We're pleased that the majority of your holiday was great, and I have passed your comments about the park facilities to the park manager for review. It's a shame the local anglers spoilt things for you but we hope this didn't detract from your holiday experience too much.

Reviewed May 24, 2014

The plus side of this caravan site is the position , quiet yet totally easy to get around everywhere in good close distance .The views on the promenade are stunning on a clear evening and I loved the sunset . I have holidays every year and have tried haven butlins you name it but here is where my 7 year old loved more . I was amazed as there in no entertainment . Very flat if you have mobility problems like myself . For the more infirm this is the place , café very close to the left as you come out , restaurant to the right . sitting areas along promenade and in the summer a mobile catering van stops along the strip . I have had one holiday here last year and am due to go again , so much so is that I love the position of this place BUT why have i only given 3 stars ...well as it is quiet place staff should really be better at customer service , staff on reception is hit and miss , one lady was very helpful on another day there was one where everything was an effort and barely smiled ...come on now I was on holiday and had paid the full wack I didn't pay a lot of money peak season to be bought down from the holiday buzz .Her attitude remained all holiday . I rang the site to enquire about something for my future booking a month ago and it seemed a very hard job for the lady to sound as if she welcomed anyone there , curt and clipped and no look forward to seeing you again ( I can assure you I was very pleasant so it didn't warrant it ) My main complaint ( and if its not sorted out this year ...June admin :) I wont return for a 3rd year ) is the pool temperature . Due to the lack of facilities the pool is a big bonus . people not staying on the park also use it .This has been mentioned by others on the reviews about the coolness of the pool ,so I know its not just be me .I also got chatting to two elderly people who own there own van and cant use the pool as it is to cool and it affects there muscles . If your fit as an athlete it probably wont affect you lol . Because I have disabilities I need a warm temperature , so I asked the pool attendance what temperature it was that day ..I was told 32 , No way was it ...I should know I use a hydro pool at physio . The one thing i know is pool temperature and by law it should be checked daily and correct information given .I let it go but the next day I asked again ...again I was told 32 ...double no way it was colder than the day before. This really ruined my holiday as the pool was too cool to use , and was one of the reasons I had booked again as the depth of the pool is great for children and for people with mobility problems , a real plus .I had bought a weekly pass for the whole family each so it was a waste of money . I didn't complain at the time as I didn't want to cause a fuss and ruin my daughters holiday . The pool was very clean though and a nice touch with tables and chairs. So come on blue anchor sort the heating of the pool out this year so I can keep coming back . I will further my review after my holiday in June 2014 and hopefully be able to give a 5star rating.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank hotelblog3456
HoburneHolidays, Guest Relations Manager at Hoburne Blue Anchor, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2014

Hello and thanks for your review. We appreciate your feedback about your Blue Anchor experiences, and have passed this information on to the park manager to be addressed.

We apologise if our staff came across as rude, and we will inspect the pool temperature to make sure it's always to our standards and guidelines.

Thanks, we're looking forward to seeing you again so you can hopefully notice the difference for your next holiday!

Reviewed May 13, 2014

Stayed on the campsite with friends and family - two motorhomes and a camper van. All ages from 6 to 67 years old. Everyone enjoyed themselves. Beautiful location just across the road from the sea front. Not the type of weather for sitting on the beach, but lovely for walks, rock hunting etc. Walked into Minehead, but took a taxi back to the site. Buses pass the gates but not on Sundays or Bank Holidays.

The staff at Blue Anchor were very helpful and friendly, especially in the little shop which seemed well stocked, nice to have Sunday newspapers. Wi Fi available around the reception area only. Laid back atmosphere, but staff seemed vigilant and any problems were quickly solved.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank MPinStaffs
HoburneHolidays, Guest Relations Manager at Hoburne Blue Anchor, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2014

We're really pleased that you and your family thoroughly enjoyed your time with us and explored the local attractions! Come and visit us again soon!

Reviewed May 5, 2014

Just returned from here today. Absolutely brilliant, if you are looking for a haven of peace with brilliant attractions nearby, this is your place. Stayed in Bronze and were a little worried, we were going to upgrade, thank goodness we didn't - caravan was clean and had everything you needed and very spacious. We have a young daughter and she loved it. Straight across a quiet road is a amazing beach. There is a playground on site and an indoor pool, a launderette and a convenience store. Spent a day in a Butlins, which is around 10 min drive and a morning in Dunster Castle. Would not hesitate in recommending to anyone. If you're looking for bright lights and nightlife Do Not stay here!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank SMD33
HoburneHolidays, Public Relations Manager at Hoburne Blue Anchor, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2014

Thanks for your kind review! We're really pleased you and your family had such a great time with us and we look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed April 27, 2014

. We wanted a rest, and that is what we had. stayed in a gold standard caravan and could not have asked for better.The staff were very friendly and helpful. The shop staff equally so The site is very handy for places of interest and near some excellent eating . We shall be back , hopefully, at end of the summer..As said at the beginning, we came for a rest so did not make use of the site facilities. What we saw of them looked well kept, clean and being enjoyed by others.

Room Tip: book a gold standard ,if available.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
HoburneHolidays, Public Relations Manager at Hoburne Blue Anchor, responded to this reviewResponded April 28, 2014

Thanks for your review. We're glad you got the rest you required and we look forward to seeing you again at the end of the summer.

Reviewed April 26, 2014

We had booked 2 caravans as my in laws were staying in the caravan next to us. The caravans were well equipped with cooking utensils and bedding and they were very clean. We were very pleased with the location of the 2 caravans as we were right to the west Somerset steam railway line and both our young boys love trains(so do I lol). Every few hours a train would go passed and our youngest would shout choo choo. The only thing wrong was that some of the plates and glasses had a chip and that the shower leaked some times. Also as there is no club house it is very quiet in the evening which is very odd but also nice. Overall I would say that we would defiantly in back there again. Daryl

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank Maverick5286

Hello and thanks for your great review! We're really pleased that you and your family enjoyed the pleasure of the West Somerset Railway running adjacent to the park. We look forward to seeing you again in the future!

Reviewed March 23, 2014

We have just spent a 4 night break at Blue Anchor in a Gold Caravan.

On arrival you can see the swimming pool from reception area. The Pool looks lovely, and you wont be disappointed when you make it in. The Pool is quite shallow ( as other reviews have said) but plenty deep enough to swim in and the Jacuzzi area is very nice. We pretty much had the pool to ourselves when we went in, and the lifeguards were very friendly. Pool and Pool area was all very clean.

The caravan we paid for was a little disappointing. The caravan had dead flies all over the carpet (though other than this, the carpet was clean). It seemed like it had been shut up for quite some time - hence the dead flies.
The bed and bedding was nice and crisp and clean. And the bathroom seemed fairly clean, Although if you looked closely in the shower, maybe not quite as clean as it first seemed - maybe due to the caravans age, which was surprising when we had opted for 'gold'. When I pulled down the bathroom slatted blind it was thick with dust.Not nice.

The Kitchen was clean, though the fridge was not. We reported this to reception (they didn't seem too bothered) and when we returned later in the day it looked to have had a quick wipe - though the top shelf was still dirty exactly as we had seen it earlier in the day. A little disappointing.

Later inn the holiday we also had a few little issues with the caravan - probably due to its age. The seal in the shower kept coming off, and the back of one of the dining room chairs was coming off. Luckily we spotted this so we made sure we didn't use this chair and reported both faults when we left.

The last disappointment about our gold caravan was how pathetic the heaters were in the bedrooms and bathroom. Not the end of the world, but a shame when we had upgraded because we didn't want to be cold. Luckily I had my hot water bottle!

Maybe sounds like we didn't enjoy our time at this site, but it wasn't all bad, and we still had a very nice holiday. As mentioned earlier the pool was great. Some members of staff on reception were friendlier than others, and the maintenance guys we saw around the site always waved hello.

The site is nice and quiet and appears to be mainly privately owned which gives it a nice feel. It is a novelty that the steam train goes right past the site.

Location is good for visiting a lot of pretty places.

As this site has really good reviews, I can only presume that we had a less than perfect experience (caravan cleanliness and relaxed customer service) due to the full team of staff/level of staff being in place due to low season.

Would have been a nice touch to have been asked if we enjoyed our stay when leaving the site.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank NicolaTravels
HoburneHolidays, Public Relations Manager at Hoburne Blue Anchor, responded to this reviewResponded March 24, 2014

Hello and thanks for your review.

Firstly, we'd like to apologise for the dust and poor upkeep of the accommodation you stayed in. This is not up to par with our Hoburne standard and we thank you for bringing these issues to our attention: we have informed our cleaning staff to be more thorough in the future and are glad that these areas that need improvement didn't take away from the overall enjoyment of your holiday.

We are glad that you enjoyed the majority of your holiday with us and appreciate your feedback here on TripAdvisor. We hope to see you again in the future for a more refined Hoburne experience!