“Terrible, Horrendous, And Massively Expensive”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Minehead
Butlins Minehead Resort
Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Minehead
Havant, United Kingdom
“Terrible, Horrendous, And Massively Expensive”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2014

My family and i have just returned from a weekend away to butlins minehead , my partner has been holidaying at butlins minehead for 10+ yrs, we have only been together for 13 months so it was my 1st time and was my last, I am 6 months pregnant with my 3rd child and had to take it easy over the weekend, The reason i am writing this shocking review is because an experience i had on saturday afternoon , my partner told me that in the past butlins has let disabled people and pregnant woman priority entrance into the centre stage & reds venues , however over the past 18 months they have introduced this new B-LINE pass system in which you PAY for a pass and are let into the venues 15 minutes before the other general public, now considering the we had 8 guests on our party and the passes are about £10 each ( i think ) it would have been expensive to purchase them, so we had to wait the general public line , upon the doors opening there was a massive rush to get to the seats upstairs and a massive queue was building for the lift so i decided to brave the stairs , as i climbed the stairs i was shoved from behind and sent crashing to the ground, my partner who was forced up the stairs by the onslaught of people only found out about this when i managed to get to my feet and tell him about it at the top of the stairs, after i had had a set down for 10 or so minutes and assured him i was fine, we went straight to complain to the guest services , who took down his mobile number and rang him about 20 minutes later , upon telling the female what had happened she was sorry ( of course) but said that there was NOTHING SHE COULD DO, my partner was angry that nothing could be done as butlins only ALLOCATE 300 B-LINE passes for each holiday and they had all gone, he was then asked to hold the line a minute, she came back on the phone as was AMAZED SO BE TOLD THAT WOULD HE LIKE TO " PURCHASE " YES PURCHASE 4 B-LINE PASSES THAT HAD BEEN RETURNED, TO ENSURE THAT IT DIDNT HAPPEN AGAIN.

I,M SORRY BUT IF BUTLINS PUTS THE POUND IN FRONT OF A HUMAN LIFE THEN THEY SHOULD BE DISGUSTED WITH THEMSELVES

5 Thank Aly G

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (785)
Neath - South Wales
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2014

Just got back from 3 day Easter weekend break with 2 adults and 2 children aged 13 and 10, Have to say I was a bit dubious due to the children being a lot older than the average aged child that normally goes to Butlins, and thought they may be bored? but how wrong was I?? We had a ball!! We booked a silver bungalow and its fair to say it was immaculate, I am quite a clean freak and the bungalow was spotless. Lovely warm shower which was quite powerful, (which normally it just trickles out in other places we have been) beds were very comfy, although we did take our own pillows and i am glad we did as theirs were not up to much, and tv worked fine, although quite limited channels but there again your not there to watch tv. Wifi was quite expensive £7 per day or £15 for 4 days, as you can imagine with 2 children with ipads it became expensive total £28 for 2 days. Got to say think this is a bit harsh as the holiday itself cost enough and what you spend there? maybe this is something Butlins could look at in future? I know your on holidays and its nice to get away from electronics, but try telling a 13 year old and 10 year old they cant have any electronics for a whole weekend?? and your a braver person than me. Also my only other gripe would be the amount of time queuing? I appreciate it was Easter weekend and it was packed and you have to que for most things, but queuing to get into Reds last night in the rain for 45 minutes pushed my patience to the limit! if it had been dry it wouldn't have bothered me, but queueing til gone 7pm was ridiculous!!
other than a few gripes we had a thoroughly fab time! Cirque De Hilarious is a must and also Scotty Miller, both comedy acts and fantastic! wish Butlins catered more with shows like this as me my husband and children really enjoyed these. Have to say we were all gutted leaving today :(

2 Thank MrsANeath_SouthWales
Exeter, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2014

We have returned today,after spending the Easter break with my family.I haven't been to Butlins for a very long time,so was pleasantly surprised after reading a lot of negative reviews.With my own family grown up we have chosen to holiday abroad & have stayed in some fabulous hotels in which the staff have 'made the hotel'.I now wish to add that every member of staff that we met from the dinning room,shops,red coats,the young man who gave us extra bedding to the fabulous lady that was on her own dealing patiently & calm with the massive queue all waiting to redeem their machine tickets for their chosen prizes were truly 5star,so well done to them all.Butlins is a child's paradise,the Scooby Doo show was brilliant,even the weather on Sunday didn't dampen our spirits.Many thanks to everyone.

Room Tip: For older folk as myself maybe would be a good idea not to be close to amenities to avoid passing no...
1 Thank Pru51
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2014

So much better than I ever expected! The staff were SO helpful and couldn't do enough for us.

MUSIC - 2 massive rooms with bands on from the afternoon until the end of the evening. The stages are so wide, you can all get to the front and see but hundreds of seats and tables if you prefer. Average age this weekend about 55 so no trouble!

FOOD - How much can you eat? It's all there with plenty of choice and very good quality. Go up again for more and try all the courses. Three courses of as much as you like.

ROOM - incredibly small! We were upgraded so a Silver suite with a lounge and fridge and extra bedroom which we needed just to put our stuff away. Tiny rooms, not sure how four people would fit, too little storage but very clean. Changed our room to an upstairs upon request with no bother. Nicely decorated with nice pictures on the walls, fairly quiet but the doors bang so you get woken up. Shower door didn't shut properly and flooded the floor. Called to get it mended but only partially successful. Loo roll holder dismantled. Tea and coffee in rooms not replenished as cheap room, take your own supplies. Bedroom stank of feet. I think the carpets needed cleaning. TV but only 5 channels. No full length mirror which is really annoying if getting ready to go out. Proper glasses and tea cups provided. Not always hot water or water pressure. Iron had deposits on it so couldn't use it. When I called reception to mend things, they were very polite and quick to react.

OTHER ENTERTAINMENT - pool is amazing, so much fun. Most everything else was closed which was disappointing. I suppose with thousands there for a booze fest, it was health and safety which I get but I would have loved to go on the climbing wall and other stuff. 4D ride open occasionally but not when it said on the sign. Was excellent though!

OUTSIDE THE SITE - good walk along the beach. Steam Gala! Rode the steam trains all day and had a ball. Visited the train museum, National Trust castle absolutely beautiful. Would love to have explored Exmoor and surrounding area but no time. Will go again.

NEGATIVE POINTS - We weren't told the pool shuts at 3pm so couldn't go for the swim they promised us on arrival, Not given the code for the wifi, the cash machines charge, room keys don't activate until 4pm so no early admittance like in a hotel (unless in more expensive room), offered Flexi pass on line prior to arrival but the activities don't run on adult weekends, archery available but not advertised.

IN SUMMARY, there were some issues but considering how much we paid for the room, all our food and entertainment, the value was outstanding and I would definitely go again.

Room Tip: Upstairs rooms mean you don't have people walking above you head and stomping about. For party a...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JollyGoodHoliday
Bury St. Edmunds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2014

Had a great holiday here - staff were helpful and plenty to do - on site eating places good value to!

Everyone was helpful and great family experience - well worth going to

Gold apartments was good and well furbished - and clean

1 Thank Ma_Wallace44
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2014 via mobile

Came for a day visit on a busy check in day, staff pleasant, sometimes a little on the slow side. Visited the pool which was spacious and clean plenty for all to do. I was pleasantly surprised at how big the site is and the equiptment they have for kids. The fairground rides are great to pass time. Shops and eateries are reasonably priced. Overall its a great family site, and the location is very pretty. Were hoping to visit as a holiday next time.

• Stayed April 2014
Weston super Mare, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2014

Stayed in Minehead, with my sister and 2.5yr old nephew, for a midweek break, 24th - 28th March. Last year we visited Bognor as Minehead was not open at that time, enjoyed our stay in Bognor although found our Gold apartment to be grubby. We chose Minehead for this years break due to the far shorter driving distance, we arrived around 12.30pm and as we knew we could not get into our accommodation until 3pm we headed straight for the Skyline, when we walked in there was a Fireman Sam show on stage, a great surprise got us into holiday mode straight away!

We had booked a gold apartment with a balcony. Based on the cleanliness of the apartment in Bognor, we prepared ahead and packed cleaning materials however when we checked into our apartment in Damson block, we were thrilled to find that our apartment was spotless and appeared to have been decorated very recently. We also noticed that the whole resort appeared very clean and well kept, the only area which could probably do with a bit of a refurb was Centre Stage - we only visited on one evening to check out the Scooby Doo show and left fairly quickly as there was an off putting smell in there, however the part of the show we did see was very good.

All of the staff who we came into contact with over the week were great, very friendly, the cleaning team always asked us if everything was ok and also helped us carry our very heavy bags up the stairs to our apartment. A particular mention must go to the girls and guys who work in the toddlers fair, great with the younger ones and definitely one of the areas we visited most. The fair however was only open 10 - 12 and then 1 - 5 (I think), it would be great to see this open longer hours as the £1 kids rides in the Skyline cost me a fortune over the week - Not a massive moan though as we had anticipated this and stocked up on £1 coins!! The shows in the Skyline were great and my nephew was transfixed by Thomas the Tank Engine.

Overall the prices in the shops/bars etc were fine and there was a good selection.

The pool was clean and never too busy when we visited however be sure to listen out for when they announce that the wave machine is about to start as there is not much time to get out of the pool. It was also good to see so many lifeguards around, particularly with the number of under 5's using the pool. There is also an area close to the kids pool for spectators to be able to sit and watch in comfort.

There are plenty of grassy areas to play on and the coin operated little motorbikes/dune buggies were brilliant, my nephew loved them, any under fives have to be accompanied by an adult but it was great fun and we went on them numerous times during the week.

As we were lucky to have fairly good weather whilst we were away we had planned to leave the site and visit the beach/Minehead centre however there was so much to do that we didn't have time.

Will definitely return to Minehead again

Room Tip: The gold apartments with balconies and patios are located very close to the Skyline pavilion/pool et...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family