“Great weekend of darts but......”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Minehead
Butlins Minehead Resort
Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Minehead
Truro, United Kingdom
“Great weekend of darts but......”
Reviewed December 8, 2012

We've just returned from a weekend at Butlins to see the PDC Players Championship finals and was left with mixed feelings about the whole weekend.

Check-In

Didn't realise there was a separate reception for Gold guests, so after spending what seemed like forever in the main reception waiting for them to find our reservation the man attending to us eventually read our confirmation and directed us to the Gold Reception, which is around the corner from the main check-in.

The lady in Gold Reception was very pleasant and helpful and the check-in process was a lot more civilised than the masses which descended on the main desk. The main reception leaves a lot to be desired and you wouldn't think you we're checking in at a holiday camp. The carpet also looked liked it was rescued from the 1970's and it smelt damp in Guest Services as we walked through to find the gold reception.

Accommodation

We stayed in Chalet 3 of Elderberry Lodge within Plantation Quay. After reading some of the reviews on here we were both pleasantly surprised when we walked through the door. The place looked and smelt clean. We had a 2 bedroom apartment which were both nicely decorated and had clean bedding. The double room also had a little flat screen tv, which was nice.

The bathroom was also spotless, it wasn't the biggest bathroom and only had a shower cubicle. Which was fine with us but if you rather have a bath you might want to book another apartment.

The main living area was also spotless, the kitchen had everything you needed from a hob and oven to a dishwasher (along with dishwasher tablets). There were plenty of utensils and were even supplied with a dish cloth, washing up liquid and tea towel. The lounge area had 2 leatherette couches, a nest of tables and a large flat screen tv as well as a DVD Player. We chose to have an apartment on the ground floor with a patio area and I'm glad we did, the whole block looked so much better than the rest of the Gold Apartments (without patios and balconies) around us. We also had double glazed throughout which helped with outside noise and we didn't have a problem with condensation.

We went self catering, again I'm glad we did. We heard a lot of moaning about the food. We bought groceries from Morrison's (opposite the site). We had a cooked breakfast in the chalet which set us up for the day and then went out for something to eat around tea time. We did buy 2 pizzas the first night from Pizza Hut but at a cost of £25 we never went back a second time.

The Darts/Arena

We had chose Gold Accommodation for 2 reasons, 1 being we got 'better' seating. Well that was a joke. When we made it to the arena we were shocked to see we were sat at what looked like pasting tables with little wooden benches. I can honestly say we have not sat on anything so uncomfortable. We stuck it out for the evening session but left before the last match as couldn't stand sitting on the benches any longer. For this reason we didn't attend any darts sessions on the Saturday and only went to see one match on the Sunday afternoon and then went back for the final. Everyone around us was complaining about how uncomfortable the benches were and resorted to sitting on mountains of foam fingers to try and make it more bearable. The table next to ours changed their benches to folding chairs but they said even they were uncomfortable but better than the benches. I was starting to think our friends (who booked standard accommodation) were sat in the best seats. I definitely felt as if all of us who paid for Gold and Deluxe accommodation were ripped off. I wanted better seats so we would could see more and due to me having an issue with my legs needed more leg room but the total inappropriateness of the benches on exasperated my condition meaning we stayed at the chalet on the Saturday and watched the darts on tv. I could have done this at home. Also the drinks were dire, £15 for 4 pints of something which resembled lager, bitter or cider. We ended up buying a few bottles from Morrissons and drank them Saturday evening when we stayed in.

The evening of the final we went to our table to find it occupied by people who had blue wristbands and shouldn't have been there. So whilst security were hot on keeping people from chanting, standing, enjoying themselves. They didn't actually do what they were supposed to do and stop those in the standard seats from sitting with those who paid more to sit on tables.

Overall

We were pleasantly surprised at the standard of accommodation but it was the actual event and the standards of seating which spoilt it for us. Unless they change what it sat on then we won't be returning. I'm not paying for tickets and accommodation to watch the event on the tv.

Room Tip: Regardless of whether you go for an adult not weekend or with family, we would recommend paying extr...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
8 Thank Mary S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (808)
Reviewed December 5, 2012

My family recently went on a half term 3 night weekend break.there was 10 of us age range from 4 up to 60 and we all had a wonderful time.
We had 3 silver chalets between us and had no complaints about any if them.very clean.
We went half board and although the food wasnt the best, there was plenty of choice.
The entertainment was incredible every night.spoilt for choice.didnt like queing for ages for a seat but it had to be done.
The thing that really stood out was the decorations.it was haloween weekend and they really made a good effort.there was no part of butlins that had not been spooked.we are going back next year just for fright night at the fair.it was hilarious

• Stayed October 2012
Burnham-on-Crouch, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 5, 2012

We have just returned from the Players Championship Darts weekend at Minehead, had an excellent time.
We had a Silver Bungalow, 6 of us went, accomodation was of good quality, bigger than anticipated, anyone who thinks different from this type of holiday should pay to stay in deluxe, for the money it was good and just what we needed for the type of weekend we were having.
We had the dinign plan, the food was basic but it soaked up the alcohol and breakfast made a good start to the days precedings.
Darts was excellent, although the security staff where a bit much, jobsworths who felt like you wasnt supposed to enjoy yourselves, no chanting, no singing no standing up etc, thats what you go there for.
If you want a deluxe holiday like the savoy, then dont go to Butlins, but if you want a good laugh and break with your friends then go its a great laugh.

Room Tip: Go for the silver a little bit extra is worth it
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Kaye B
Ipswich England
Reviewed December 5, 2012

Well we spent most of our time in the Skyline Pavillian for obvious reasons!!! It is very impresssive arena and we had no issues when getting served at the bar etc. We had a 6 bed apartment which was fine for 6 adults plenty big enough with the usual mini kitchenette. It was clean and stocked OK. Strangely ythe local Spar on site was pretty cheap plus there is Tesco and Morrisons in walking distance. Pool is great big clean good slides, probably very busy in the summer I should think tho. Overall an excellent weekend.

Room Tip: On adult weekends the price of alcohol is a lot more!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Paul&Kaz
Kings Lynn
Reviewed December 3, 2012

Just got back from the PDC Darts Event 2012, booked in May 2012 explained that by November I would be wearing a prosthetic leg after my op in April that's was to be no problem. Butlins rang 2 weeks before to see if we,d like to upgrade our seats we jumped at the chance as we were told we would be close to the front as it happened the seat we payed more for was worse then our original seats and everyone on our table had the same story...call it what you like Butlins but I call it being ripped off. Accommodation well as stated I am disabled but when we got to the room they,d put us in one with no disabled facilities at all not even a rail in get in and out of the small shower with so once I,d removed my leg I was reduced to sitting in the bottom of the shower with hose... its the first time since my operation that Ive actually sat and cried, normally I can cope with most things but this was to much and when my husband complained they just said they would see what they could do ...but didn't come back to us, because of any lack of concern you just got to thinking whats the point in complaining and that is the problem they pass the buck from one person to another and simply ....do not care. Went to use the disable toilet during darts and there was a long que as everyone was using it as it was the nearest this included people who had a lot to drink and lets just say their aim whilst in the toilet wasn't to good, wee all over the floor toilet and the lock didn't work. Didn't stay to see the Sundays Darts which included the final as we checked out a day early. Please don't always believe what your told about your holiday when booking with Butlins Direct as their sole purpose is to get your cash in their bank.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Sharron C

Travelers are raving about these Minehead hotels

Henley-on-Thames, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 3, 2012

GRIM GRIM GRIM!! I went here for the recent Players Championship darts weekend. Reception is a baron space with as much warmth as an ice burg. The accommodation blocks we stayed in looked like they had been borrowed from a prisoner of war camp! The room was so small, smelt of damp, the furniture was dirty and chipped. Towel rail was being held on by cable ties, surely can't be safe? Poor sound proofing, one tiny heater which was totally inadequate, bright light right outside the window which was on all night, shower tiny and filthy I could go on.

Before anyone thinks we paid dirt cheap prices, we didn't, we booked a mid level room. Lord only knows what the basic was like, a tent next to a sewer perhaps?

The food is a complete joke! Very low quality products, everything on the budget, how they make a standard fried breakfast be 100% tasteless is beyond me. I saw some people who thought all their Christmas's had come at once but they had obviously only ever eaten in McDonalds or KFC. We spent a vast proportion of time on the toilet due to the vile stodgy food. Recommend that anyone silly enough to go here does not book a meal plan, plenty of places to eat near by.

All the staff we encountered were miserable and looked like they hated life! I cannot believe a resort like this is still in business, it is set in the 1940's and looks like that was the last time anything was painted. It makes me ashamed to be English when I saw the place, it represents an era that should be long forgotten.

Centre stage was so depressing, looked like a very bad wedding, the room was vile, took one look and walked straight out.

The darts was fantastic, just a shame it held in this worn down, depressing resort. Unfortunately I noticed that the darts is returning there next year, my friends and I certainly won't be.

**** This review represents the views of everyone in my party of guests ****

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank Brighton_SussexGuru
ButlinsResorts, Butlins Customer Care Advisor at Butlins Minehead Resort, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay at our Minehead Resort.

I’m really sorry to read that you and your party were disappointed with your break and would like to address some of the points made in your review.

It was disappointing to read about the condition of your room as we regularly redecorate and refurbish all our accommodation, venues and facilities at a cost of around £10m per year across the three resorts. I do hope that you managed to speak to one of our guest services team so that they could try to find you alternative accommodation.

With regard to our dining options, we try to ensure that there is something for everyone to enjoy, even the fussiest of eaters, so I’ll make sure our catering team is aware of your comments so that they can review what’s on offer.

I’ve passed your comments regarding our venues onto our Entertainment Manager to address.

I’m really glad to hear you enjoyed the darts, but I’m sorry to hear that you won’t be coming back next year.

I hope this has helped answer some of your concerns. We’d love to welcome you back to see us to show you just how good one of our breaks can be and how seriously we take reviews from our guests.

Kind Regards,

Serene
Butlins Customer Care Team
Lancashire
Reviewed November 29, 2012

We were attending our second House of Fun Weekender with the main aim of watching Madness perform on the Friday and Saturday nights, listening to some of our favourite ska music, watching some comedy and meeting and mixing with some fellow Rudeboys. We weren't disappointed.

The silver apartment was exactly the same as last year in terms of decor, location, facilities and cleanliness. The place was clean enough but, as always, it is never the same standard as at home so the first 10 minutes when we arrived were spent showing the bathroom what bleach and disinfectant look like. Once I had given it the once over we were good to go.

We were catering for ourselves mainly and the cooking facilities were fine. Oven, hob, microwave and kettle. We had to pop into the staff canteen across the road to get an extra plate and a fork because there were only 3 in our cupboard and there were 4 of us eating.

The bathroom shower pressure was lame but it was wet and warm and the towel rail kept the room nice and hot (I burnt my bum on it when I bent down to dry my feet). In fact, the heating in the apartment was very effective. We only needed to switch the heaters onto the maximum setting for 5 minutes and the whole place was baking hot.

As I said, we were only really there to watch the bands so we didn't use the funfair or the swimming pool. Most of our time was spent in the bars which were ridiculously overpriced at £4 a pint and £5.45 for a glass of wine. They were doing an offer of £15 for 4 pints but they kept changing the rules. One time they let us have 2 ciders and 2 lagers for £15 then the next time they told us that they had to be pints of the same stuff to get the offer. They couldn't make their minds up.

There had been one or two changes since we went last year. What used to be the Irish pub at the front of the Skyline had changed into a Wetherspoons style pub and they had also opened a restaurant called the Firehouse Grill opposite. On the Sunday afternoon we went to the Sun and Moon for the carvery but they had run out of meat at 2.30pm so we went to the Firehouse Grill and had a lovely chicken combo meal for 4. The only complaint I had was that the front door wasn't on an automatic closer so every time someone walked in the door would stay open and we were freezing. Everyone was trooping through the restaurant just to use the loo so the door was constantly open. Apart from that though the bill came in at under £50 with drinks so we were happy.

The weather was atrocious while we were there and the footpaths all around our apartment block were flooded. There was one puddle that was ankle deep and blocked the only access to some of the apartment blocks so people had no choice but to wade through it. It was like that for 36 hours and I thought it was poor that the Butlins staff didn't try to clear it.

We had another fantastic weekend and we have already booked to return for the 3rd House of Fun Weekender in November 2013.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends