“Better Than Excellent” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Binham Grange

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Minehead
Binham Grange
Ranked #32 of 38 Minehead B&B and Inns
Bedfordshire
“Better Than Excellent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2012

I booked the 2 rooms that are available at this B&B for my husband and I and my parents to celebrate their Golden Wedding Anniversary. We hadn’t stayed before and could only find a couple of reviews complimenting the food, so I have to admit that on our arrival I was a little anxious. I needn’t have been and to say that it met our expectations on every level would be an understatement. My room (the blue room) was tasteful, roomy and had everything you’d need for a short break: (no television for which I was grateful) water in the room, hairdryer, bathrobes, toiletries, masses of soft fluffy towels, a radio and a bed where I spent the most blissful nights sleep ever. If I could have taken the mattress home with me I would have. My parents however stayed in the Abbey Room and that was in a different league altogether. It was three times the size of the Blue Room. Their bathroom was as large as our bedroom alone! My mother also commented on the comfortable bed, the furnishings, the cleanliness and the attention to detail such as fresh hyacinths in both rooms.

Guests staying at Binham Grange are made more than welcome, we were told to come and go as we pleased and as soon as we’d settled in our rooms the owner (Marie) invited us into our own breakfast room for afternoon tea with the most delicious homemade lemon cake made by Marie’s daughter, Victoria. Seriously addictive.

After exploring the area we arrived back ready for dinner and you really do need a healthy appetite to stay here. Pre dinner drinks were taken in a separate lounge and because the house is so large you feel as if you are staying in a country house hotel. There are books throughout the house as well as watercolours and photograph albums of the restoration of Marie’s beautiful home. Marie described what was on the menu that day and even though I would have preferred a written menu I appreciate that everything is cooked from local ingredients so the menu changes daily. We had a choice of 3 starters and 3 main courses served with home made bread and a very good wine list. My balsamic red onions and goats cheese tart was delicious but the Exmoor fillet of beef with mushrooms and red wine reductions was outstanding and cooked to perfection. All four of us ordered the beef and we asked for it cooked 3 different ways and each one was cooked to our preference perfectly. Desserts were beautifully cooked by Victoria who is obviously a very accomplished pastry chef and there’s something for everyone. The lemon posit was wonderful and a delightful end to a thoroughly enjoyable meal.

After dinner in the impressive Great Hall we chatted in the lounge and played cards in my parents room which was certainly large enough. We definitely didn’t miss watching television.

Breakfast the next morning was as good as dinner the night before. Everything was ready for us, a generous selection of cereals, fresh fruit salad, 2 large jugs of fruit juice, and when we thought we’d finished Marie went on to offer toast and a full English with wonderful local ingredients. Including the best sausages I have ever eaten, anywhere.

I could go on but I’m running out of superlatives. I think Marie runs her B&B to a very high standard and has a wonderful eye for detail. She seems to care about her guests, spends time making sure they are comfortable and is very good at making sure everything is thought of in advance. Nothing is too much trouble, and she certainly looked after my parents on their special occasion making sure everything I requested for them (flowers, champagne and a cake made by Victoria) was taken care of. I’m sure this woman has the energy of a 10 year old because she worked hard looking after us from the moment we arrived until the moment we left, and when she wasn’t doing that she was tending to her stunning garden.

I can’t wait to return – if only so I can stay in the room my parents had.

Room Tip: The Abbey Room for that special occasion!