“The best place to eat in Minehead”

Mullions Restaurant
Ranked #9 of 96 Restaurants in Minehead
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Plymouth, United Kingdom
“The best place to eat in Minehead”
Reviewed September 3, 2014

My wife and I visited Mullions twice during our weeks holiday in Minehead, both times we enjoyed the food and the service was excellent and we were made to feel welcome. We will be eating there again on our next visit.

2 Thank bob c
Ian H, Owner at Mullions Restaurant, responded to this review, September 5, 2014
Hi Bob c
thank you for a great review and look forward to your next visit to Minehead please bring some sun with you as its started to get cooler and the nights are drawing in already. Regards

Minehead
“Great restaurant”
Reviewed September 2, 2014

Good place to eat, especially if you have special dietary needs, as a sufferer of coeliac disease I am extremely happy to eat at Mullions. There is a separate gluten free menu and Ian and his staff are fully aware of the consequence's of cross contamination.
The food is good and staff friendly, nothing is too much trouble.

2 Thank 109Chris
Hi 109 Chris
thank you for you lovely review,we have had some excellent review on trip advisor about our g/f food and have just been told we are on the coeliac uk app. look forward to your next visit .
Regards
Glastonbury, United Kingdom
“Great value, tasty early evening meal”
Reviewed August 30, 2014

Having spent the day at Dunster Castle, we swung by Minehead to get an overdue lunch / early dinner at around 5:45. Mullions had a two for £12 pre-six o'clock deal which we decided to try.

The interior is a bit retro seventies Italian - thick sculpted artex walls and fake thatched roofs, But there was nothing fake about the warm welcome, service and food.

Despite appearing to be a little short staffed, I guess due to the time of day, our waiter was having to see to the growing number of folk arriving but kept his pleasant demeanour going and saw to everyone's needs.

My wife and daughter had cottage pie and gammon steak from the menu. The pie was home cooked and tasty and the gammon steak a nice thick chunk of flavourful meat. I went for beer battered fish and chips. Nice batter and lovely crumbly fish with a great tartar sauce. All plates came with nice chips.

We had a round of desserts - poached pears - my wife thought they were going to be hot and was surprised when they were not. The jury is still out about whether she liked them or not, but any doubt there was more than made up for with the decaf mocha coffee. She's quite particular about this drink and was very happy with her choice.

The other two puds were sticky toffee pudding and chocolate pudding with chocolate sauce. Nice portions that rounded off the meal. I suspect they were not home made, but they did the job and sat nicely with the rest of the afternoon meal deal. Three meals, three desserts and three puds for around £11 a head.

The nearest thing to a complaint is we could not give a nice farewell to our waiter as he served coffee, dealt with an enquiry from a customer who'd come in from the street and was taking another order from a couple in the window. He'll sleep well tonight!

1 Thank barnum42
Hi Barnum
thank you for choosing to dine with us after your trip to Dunster, nice to see you enjoyed all you eat and sorry I didn't get to say goodbye, yes I was a little short staffed due to holidays but hope that what stop you retuning on your next trip. Regards
Ealing, England, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“The best restaurant in Minehead”
Reviewed August 28, 2014

We are regular visitors to this restaurant and the food is always good, from breakfast through to dinner. The service is excellent, and the team create a welcoming atmosphere. We particularly appreciate the option of picking our wine from the selection of well-chosen wines displayed on the bar (there is also a wine list), we've never had a bad bottle yet. We can definitely recommend this restaurant.

Hi Mr and Mrs Burns
thank you for your lovely review it was nice to see you both on your last visit to Minehead .thank you for your support and look forward to your next visit . Regards
Finchampstead
“Don't waste your money”
Reviewed August 23, 2014

Where to start? And in no particular order as it's all so bad.

The flooring was cleaner in the local arcades than in Mullions. There was obvious trodden in food which looked like it was so old it was breeding.

We arrived at the time booked only for the waiter/owner shoving so much food in his mouth he couldn't talk for ages.

We we're sat in a window seat. Normally a lovely gesture but I struggled getting into my seat as it was in an alcove. I am a size 12 and it was a really REALLY tight squeeze.

I asked for English mustard to go with my over cooked steak but got (get this) American hot dog mustard...... Seriously???

There was no atmosphere in the establishment, the wine and food seriously disappointing and it appears that Kim & Aggie would have a field day in that place.

To sum it all up it is appalling and we wouldn't eat their again even if it was free.

1 Thank dibdobs1
Ian H, Owner at Mullions Restaurant, responded to this review, August 28, 2014
OMG Where do I start and and in no particular order .... Yes guilty as charged I was eating a piece of warm rusty bread just out of the oven as I had been on my feet for nine hours without a chance to have something to eat. and I did apologize. You actually told me you had sat at the very same table when the restaurant was under the previous owners and fell through the curtain after one to many wines. The guy you where with ordered the wine a pino and had a chose of two ,one from Italy and a drier one from Australia, he chose the latter which was my fault ?? My restaurant is hoovered every morning and was due to have the carpet professionally clean two weeks ago but at the last moment was cancelled by the company due to their van breaking down. it is done twice a year and is happening next Monday on my next day off. We are child friendly restaurant and had children sitting near your table earlier in the day, I had looked all around for trodden in food and could not see any??? as we often have to after all small children do tend to miss their mouths .Now to your meal..... You never said anything to me about your steak when I asked if everything was alright?? and I thought you asked for dejon mustard which was what you got..had you said something at the time I could have done something about it ,but hard to put right after the event!!Thats nice you wouldn't want to return as it is the customers who make the atmosphere and I feel you are being a little OTT in your review but as they say we all have a right to voice our opinion. I have ran this restaurant for 30months now and this is the first time I have ever felt so hurt and upset by any of our reviews. I am far from perfect but have but my heart and sole into this business and its people like you who could do us so much damage.