“stayed at butlins, but decided to lunch at the gascony”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Gascony Hotel

Gascony Hotel
Ranked #12 of 38 Minehead B&B and Inns
oxford
“stayed at butlins, but decided to lunch at the gascony”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2012

a group of 12 of us decided to eat lunch at the gascony hotel as it looked so pretty from the outside and had a lovely outside eating area. The two ladies that served us were charming and very helpful, thats where the nice part of our visit ended. The lunchtime food was the worst I'd ever had and unfortunately with the exception of 2 of our party opting for hot food we were all of the same opinion. The sandwiches weren't particularly cheap in price, £5.25 or £5.95, the bread was a cheap supermarket brand (I think the value kind), it was stale and and didnt realise until I looked at my daughter in laws to be, it was also mouldy, very off putting when the rest of us had already eaten ours. It was served with with coleslaw which also tasted like a cheap value supermarket brand. There was a hair in one of the sandwiches and although taken away we are not sure if it was actually remade and there was no offer of a discount. My goddaughter had an orange squash and a lager and lime, which she said both had a very weird taste, on tasting the lager, I think the lime was probably old and had gone off, I assume again that the squash would have been a very cheap one and thats why it had a weird taste. The did refund the one sandwich that we found mould on. Its such a shame because although a little old fashioned but it looked a lovely place. I really think they need to review their products that they are using, and I feel they would get far more passing clientel.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Minehead, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2011

We have eaten in the bar area of the hotel three times after visitors to minehead came in our shop and recommended it to us.Staff are very pleasent food cooked to order so yes you do have to wait but it is well worth it on second visit i had the plaice which was huge and delicous its well worth a visit

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank David B
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2011

I had a lovely stay at the Gascony hotel , all the staff were so friendly and welcoming. they were also great with the fact I took my 10yr old son with me... Food was lovely and I would highly recommend it, (best dish was the braised beef), I would reccomend to anyone and I will be coming back again :-) thank you for such a great stay :-)

• Stayed October 2011
2 Thank Fluffygerbal
Cirencester, Gloucestershire.
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2011

I only called in for lunch, with my Mother and Brother. Since my mother does not eat large meals, we decided to order from the Bar Menu. The order for food and drinks was taken, the drinks arrived promptly along with the cutlery. Unfortunately, the food did not. We waited, and waited. Many other diners who had arrived after us, had already got their food.
Eventually, I said to one of the waitress, if our food would take much longer, and within minutes it was brought to the table!

I suspect, that it had been prepared, placed under a hot lamp or hot cupboard, and the staff had forgotten to bring it to the table. Although the food was still hot, my mothers piece of fish was very dry - consistent with being left for a long time in a heated cupboard. The Chips were also dry. Very disapointed, no word of apology. Deffinately would not go there again. Price was not good for poor quality.

Agreed it was a Sunday, and most other diners had chosen from the separate Sunday Lunch Menu. But my mother did not want two or three courses, so this was not good value. If they didnt want to take orders from the Bar Menu, then the establishment should have said before we ordered.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Standard13
Nuneaton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2010

My wife stayed and I stayed at the Gascony for a week in Sept 2010. The Gascony is a Victorian Building with 20 bedrooms only 100 mtrs from the sea front. The hotel oozes Victorian charm but still has modern facilities. If you are looking for a glass and chrome sort of place then it is not for you. If you want personal, cheerful and excellent service from the owners and their staff then I strongly recommend it. Only a few yards from the West Somerset Heritage Steam Railway station and right on the edge of the Exmoor National Park a relaxing break is pretty well guaranteed. If you want a more brash and noisy type of holiday then go to Butlins Holiday Camp at the other end of town!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
4 Thank jimthetiffy
Harrow, Middlesex
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2010

Stayed 3 nights - a long weekend. Single room was on the small side, but adequate - ensuite bathroom a good size - and both clean.

The Gascony is very well located in Minehead, being on the main street of the town about half way between the mains shops in one direction, and the sea front, and West Somerset Railway station in the other. There is plenty of parking space in their own car park. Standard breakfast for British hospitality, with a buffet for juices/fruit/cereals while the cooked element is served to guests at table - good standard. Dinner also available (not taken on this stay) at a fair looking price. Bar, with snacks/light meals also available.

Family run, and all staff friendly and efficient.

It offers all the facilities that can reasonably be expected for a hotel of its rating and size at a fair price. The hotel itself is quiet and would appeal to guests seeking relative peace in the centre of town.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo