“Even for Wetherspoon's......”

The Duke of Wellington
Ranked #15 of 37 Minehead B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 23, 2013

...... this was a poor effort, and I wasn't expecting much. Typical Wetherspoon's menu, meal was hot but not particularly appetising, atmosphere rowdy (despite being mostly over 50's!), and only would have been rated as '1' except the staff were polite and the beer quite good.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed March 23, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for one night as our friends were having hen an stag party's in Butlins. Fantastic location as its in the centre and only a 10 minute walk from Butlins. The rooms were ok nothing special the cleaning wasn't great as our valence sheet had blood and vomit all over it not nice. The other downfall is a lack of parking we found a side street which was quite close. Breakfast wasn't included but you can get breakfast in the bar in the morning it's great value for money and fantastic quality best part of the hotel .

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank Kayleigh_M_Williams
Duke Wellington H, Hotel Team Leader at The Duke of Wellington, responded to this reviewResponded March 24, 2013

Dear Sir/Madam,

We glad you enjoyed your stay with us we are very sorry that your valence sheet had stains on it.
Unfortunately we do not have a car park and we send people to the nearest long stay car park or one of the side roads where there is no restrictions.
We look forward to your return with us in the near future.

Reviewed March 11, 2013

we didnt stay at the hotel here we just called in for breakfast at 11 on a sunday morning,we found a table in a nice seating area to the left but the bar was closed in that part and we had to use main bar,first i had to wait 10 minutes to be served as there were a lot of groups of men (perhaps a stag do?)and there was only one girl serving. Being 6 months pregnant i felt really uncomfortable as it was quite rowdy.I ordered 1 full english and a sausage and bacon roll, amd was told there was a 15 min wait for food,which was fine.35 mins later our food still had not arrived so i hunted around for a staff member and was told they were extremely busy and it would be no longer then 10 minutes.The food eventually arrived exactly 1 hour and 5 mins later which was lunch time by then and the room was becoming full with people ordering sunday roast.We didnt receive an apology or an offer of a free drink ( we were only drinking coffee) or anything, to be fair the food was piping hot and tasted lovely but if we had of been advised of such a long wait we would of waited and come back for a sunday roast. Overall very disappointed as this was the last treat of our holiday.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Duke Wellington H, Hotel Team Leader at The Duke of Wellington, responded to this reviewResponded March 17, 2013

Dear Madam,

We are very sorry that you had a bad experinece with ourselves at breakfast last sunday 10th March.
At Butlins they had a adult weekend and we are unsure how busy we are going to be until that day when it happens.
Please accept our apploigies.

Reviewed February 7, 2013

I spent one night at the Duke of Wellington at the end of January '13.
Upon arrival I received a friendly warm welcome from the receptionist who was really helpful.
The room itself (a single) was a good size and, most importantly, clean. The big problem, however, was noise. Being a Saturday night, it seemed half of minehead congregated directly outside my room (for the outdoor smoking area) and also loud music cam from Lloyds bar/nightclub nextdoor. Having arrived back at the hotel at 1am, I found it impossible to get to sleep before 2am when the noise died down. Then, at 3am the fire alarm went off. Having stopped after a couple of minutes it then went off again 10 minutes later. The problem was that no one told us what was going on. I went and stood on the landing and was passed by several staff running round like headless chickens. It was only when i asked what was happening that someone said it was an electrical fault. In the morning, no one said a word, no hint of an apology and for me that is wrong.
The other thing to mention is the parking (or lack of it). If you get lucky you might get something near the hotel but every time i left i found that on my return i had to drive around the town centre a few times until i could find somewhere to park.
So would I return? No. The big problem for me is the noise. Ok, so it's a pub, what did I expect? well, sound proofing would be a good start!!! Don't get me wrong, I've stayed in worse places but for £50 for room only I'd at least expect to get some sleep (and breakfast thrown in too!! :-D )

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else!
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Duke Wellington H, Front Office Manager at The Duke of Wellington, responded to this reviewResponded February 10, 2013

Dear Sir

Thank you for taking the time to communicate to us why our service did not meet your expectations. We have every desire to address your needs and provide the best solution available to resolve your issue as soon as possible. Could you please, get in contact with us as we would like to make our best attempt in regaining your confidence in our company. In addition, we will further evaluate how we can prevent this problem from occurring again in the future.

Please accept our sincerest apology for any trouble or inconvenience we have caused you. Again, I highly appreciate your feedback as it will assist us in becoming better at what we do. As with any business like ours, the greatest advertising we can have is word of mouth from a satisfied customer. It’s our goal to retain you as a satisfied customer and will hope to serve you again in the future.

Kind Regards

Margaret
Hotel Team Leader

Reviewed January 21, 2013

Stayed here in December 2012 for the first time. I am a regular to mine head as stay for business. Room was clean, warm and comfortable. But you get what you pay for. Don't be expecting luxury for £45. Parking is terrible. It's only free between 6pm and 8am during week. Even in December I had to park 600m away in some back steet.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank MarkJManchester
AnnJDW, Hotel Team Leader at The Duke of Wellington, responded to this reviewResponded January 25, 2013

Dear Sir,

We are very sorry that when you came to Minehead there wasn't nearer car parking, we do however have a long stay car park that is 3 minutes from us and we direct people to this car park along with the off road parking that is only a couple minutes away.

We do hope to see you in the near future as we are doing many deals at the moment for e.g. 3 for 2 offer along with a 20% food voucher.

Ann

Reviewed January 6, 2013

We were offered a twin room at the back as it was supposed to be quieter. I found it very noisy and did not get to sleep till after 2am although my husband slept well after a few pints of beer. Next time I will take earplugs. The receptionist was vey helpful booking us a table at the local Chinese and replenishing our coffee for the room very promptly. Breakfast was slow arriving and not vey hot but adequate for the price. Would visits again with ear plugs. Jane stapley

Room Tip: Take earplugs this is a pub after all.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
AnnJDW, Hotel Team Leader at The Duke of Wellington, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2013

Dear Madam,

We are glad you enjoyed your stay we did have earplugs at reception, if you do rebook with us please note that we do have these.
We do our best to keep all of our guests happy by helping them with booking into a local restaurant or by getting taxi booked.
We also replenish any milk, coffee, tea or biscuits if anyone wishes to have this.

We look forward to your return.

Ann

Reviewed December 28, 2012

It looks good from the outside, however the service provided inside is something that i describe horrible, awful. I do not recommend this place as a venue to it at all. It is simply horrible. No one welcome you, food takes ages to be prepared and no one bother inform you or at least say sorry. It is a messy place. I look inside the kitchen and I didn't like what I saw . . . a total mess. My faulty, I should have followed my instincts and not have used that place. So here I am. Feeling frustrated and not able to understand why it have to be so bad as it is. They even have the nerves to stick a trip advisor logo from 2011 in the front door. It should be removed ASAP. A real trap, so walk away or if you brave enough try to put it right.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
AnnJDW, team leader at The Duke of Wellington, responded to this reviewResponded December 30, 2012

Dear sir,
We are sorry that you had a bad experience with us we do our best to please all guests that stay with us and for people that visit us just for food and drink. We hope this will not defer you to not using any of our establishments in the near future.
We hope you have a happy New Year .
Regards

Also consider these accommodations in or near Minehead
Cabot Court Hotel
#17 of 37 in Minehead
YHA Exford
YHA Exford
#6 of 21 in Minehead

Been to The Duke of Wellington? Share your experiences!