“Ok But wouldnt Recommend”
Review of The Smugglers Inn

The Smugglers Inn
Ranked #10 of 95 Restaurants in Minehead
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The Smugglers Inn offers a cosy bar, a delightful restaurant and accommodation by the sea at Blue Anchor Bay in Somerset. We are on the edge of Exmoor and the Quantock hills and make a perfect base for walking holidays. The West Somerset steam railway runs through Blue Anchor and the station is just along the road at the end of the bay. Blue Anchor beach is a long sandy beach and is just across the road from the Inn.
London, United Kingdom
“Ok But wouldnt Recommend”
Reviewed November 1, 2012

Went as can take dogs in and other reviews excellent, wish hadn't of bothered. Staff were very friendly but thats the only good point of the visit.
We were sat on a table between the walk way to the bar and the other side for staff to get to the bar not great with 2 dogs that everyone wanted to say hello too.
The menu was so vast i cannot see how it can be claimed everything is cooked fresh its just not possible. My meal was nice except for celery in a hotpot really not good, the burger a homemade special had the weirdest and most unpleasant taste. pudding menu was weird a chocolate and marshallow cheesecake but what they dont say is its on a ginger biscuit base!!!! I opted for orange and treacle tart which was lovely but was supposed to be served with cointreau icecream but instead came out with sorbet.

• Visited October 2012
simonrcurtis, Owner at The Smugglers Inn, responded to this review, January 24, 2013
Thank you for taking time to write a review and I am sorry that we did not live up to your expectations.
However in fairness, it's a tiny weeny bit short of the whole facts. We have a front area in the dining area for dogs and we make them as welcome as possible and yes bringing 2 large dogs into a pub can make a table for 4 seem a bit cramped, but we have had 100's of other dog owners in and on that table and they never seem to have an issue with where their sat. All in fact are delighted that we accommodate dogs in the dining area. But please you must be aware that some people are not as keen on our furry friends and do not like sharing their dinner with them, so we put special tables aside. Again most owners love having their dogs fussed and given treats(which I remember giving your 2) but if you did not want to get interrupted by us friendly doggy people, then may I suggest next time you leave them in the car or at home.The menu is freshly cooked as I explained to you on the evening. I work many hours during the day to make these food products and with the greatest respect, to say it cannot be done is a big fib as you do not know the workings of my kitchen. The person you were eating with, was very fussy. Didn't like all the nasty green stuff on the burger either did he? If he was that fussy, why didn't you ask if we had a normal burger instead of the homemade one. We could have very easily made you an extra big Childs burger, which are 100% beef and are more like the once you get in fast food establishments, we could even have left off the green stuff. If you read other reviews a lot of other people have said my burger is one of the best they have ever had.
Your lamb hot pot had celery in it... well it would do as a tradition lamb hot pot has celery in it! Don't really need an excuse on that one as I was following the recipe!
And finally... my weird desserts. Yes the cheesecake has 33% ginger nut biscuits in the base. The ginger helps break up the sweetness of the top, it works. Well everyone that has eaten it says it does except yourself. but you seem to have neglected to mention that your dining partner didn't have this and I in fact made him an adult portion of the little ones chocolate fudge cake with vanilla ice cream! My fault though on the sorbet instead of the ice cream as it had not set in time for service. So I do apologise for that.
Once again thank you for taking time to write a review and i will act on anything that i need too.

Watchet, United Kingdom
“Totally amazing”
Reviewed October 26, 2012

Could not have asked for a better evening. Food was amazing, service was excellent and they are very accommodating my salad came out with beetroot which i am allergic to and the staff were brilliant not only did they completely redo my meal but my husbands as well. This place is well worth a visit and we will definitely be going back.

2 Thank helenpope87
London, England, United Kingdom
“A welcoming landlord and great food”
Reviewed October 19, 2012

We were staying in Blue Anchor last weekend reviewing holiday accommodation and decided to eat at The Smugglers on our first night. Our dobermann doesn't like other dogs in his face so we were able to secure a table where we could tuck Beau on his bed out of the way - our retriever also fitted under the table! The food was great, and when we'd finished Simon appeared with treats for the dogs. There are plenty of other dog friendly venues in the area but we opted to eat here again on the Saturday. There was a bit of a problem with the mussels we'd been served, but as soon as we mentioned it they were whipped away and replaced with a delicious bowl of steaming fresh mussels. There was a lovely friendly atmosphere in the pub - we got chatting to several other diners. People dining with dogs are kept to one area to enable non-dog lovers to eat elsewhere.

• Visited October 2012
2 Thank SafedogCarCrates
Alfreton, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best Steak By Far”
Reviewed October 13, 2012

We recently stayed at the caravan site up the road from the pub and decided to pop in on the Wednesday night for the steak night. The staff were extremely pleasant and couldn`t help us enough. We both ordered rump steak and it was cooked to perfection, and when I asked one of the waitresses if the the steak was local, she went and asked the chef and came back and told me where we could get it from. Thats what I call service. Thankyou for such a great meal and we shall be calling in next time we are down.

• Visited September 2012
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
“Visited October 2012”
Reviewed October 9, 2012

Passed this Pub a couple of times on our holiday and it looked really nice so we stopped one afternoon for a drink, we were disappointed as it is quite large with a good garden and maybe in high seasons its different, but it has a small cramped cellar bar, the staff were bland and unwelcoming, the garden showed promise so we sat in it and it was disappointing, we were going to eat there but lost enthusiasm and moved on but perhaps though this was just because it was early October.

Visited October 2012
1 Thank david b
Thank you for taking time to write a review on my pub, but am a little confused by it all.
The bar area is not the biggest in the world I admit, but with the roaring fire and comfy sofas I have made it as comfortable a I possibly can. We have now extended this area with more sofas and tables to sit at, so hopefully this will meet with you approval when you return. Staff were bland and unwelcoming?I wish you had said something then I could have found out why you thought that. I was on the bar that day and I have never been called bland! Been called other stuff but we wont go into that!! I have never been unwelcoming and nor have my staff. They are all trained by myself and know a warm welcome is of course of the utmost importance.
Finally and I really can't get my head round this. You first say "with a good garden" but then you say it was "disappointing" Which was it? My gardener and I spend many an hour in the garden making sure that it looks 100% but as the autumn comes in then we obviously start to dig up, replant and trim back (i am not a horticulturist so if i've said the wrong things then i apologise. In fact i'm only allowed to do the lawns as my theory is to cut everything down to ground level and according to my gardener that's so wrong!)
I do wish that if people decide to write a review on here then they explain their moans so that I can act upon them.
Please do come back in the summer and introduce yourself to me so that I can make sure that you have an experience that you would expect from me, my staff and my pub.