“Fantastic atmosphere - disappointing food”
Review of The Smugglers Inn

The Smugglers Inn
Ranked #10 of 94 Restaurants in Minehead
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The Smugglers Inn offers a cosy bar, a delightful restaurant and accommodation by the sea at Blue Anchor Bay in Somerset. We are on the edge of Exmoor and the Quantock hills and make a perfect base for walking holidays. The West Somerset steam railway runs through Blue Anchor and the station is just along the road at the end of the bay. Blue Anchor beach is a long sandy beach and is just across the road from the Inn.
Canberra
“Fantastic atmosphere - disappointing food”
Reviewed May 24, 2012

We just loved the bar and restaurant, amazingly cosy atmosphere - but we had mussels that were way overcooked and battered cod that hadn't been scaled so, despite the fun atmosphere and good wine, we felt let down. But we';d give it another try but steer clear of the seafood.

Visited May 2012
1 Thank KandTCanberra
, Owner at The Smugglers Inn, responded to this review, July 3, 2012
Thank you for taking time to write a review and I am glad you loved the amazing cosy atmosphere of my pub.
I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy the mussels or the cod. We pride ourselves on our reputation for "Fresh Food cooked Well". But sounds like something went a little wrong. We have had many compliments about our mussels, several on this site, I do wish you had told us, as would have more than happily skinned the cod and redone the mussels for you.
But i'm glad to see that you will give us another go. Order the mussels and cod and I promise you'll enjoy them. As a point of interest since this comment all our cod is now skinned.
Thanks once again for taking time to write this review.

Swadlincote, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Bar and Takeaway”
Reviewed May 14, 2012

We popped in recently for a takaway meal and stayed of a drink while waiting.
The staff was very friendly. The dog was welcome in the bar also!
Next time we come back to the Blue Anchor, we will try the restaurant.
Stephen, Nicola and Hal

• Visited May 2012
1 Thank Stephen G
Exmoor
“Great family eating”
Reviewed April 29, 2012

Several bars and fardens outside. Wide menu available, cooked and presented well and reasonably priced. Good for families as well as a pleasant meal for two or a group of friends. Beer's not bad either.

Visited October 2011
1 Thank Digi-1-Stop
havant hampshire
“exceptional service”
Reviewed April 22, 2012

I am a diner with multiple food problems but I have never had a problem eating here as Simon and staff go out of their way to make me welcome and provide wonderful food. I have been visiting since he took over. On many occassions with the grandchildren in tow so I am at a complete loss to read the latest trip advisor comments and feel strongly that I should make my own experiences known. The grandchildren in question have been going since the age of 2 and have never been made to feel in the way. As a further comment I have on many occassions bought the take away gluten free fish and chips (which like everying else is always freshly cooked) as we have a caravan at the hoburne blue anchor holiday park.

• Visited April 2012
2 Thank penny b
London, United Kingdom
“Rude staff, mediocre food. Who is writing these reviews?”
Reviewed April 20, 2012

First of all I'll say that I only write reviews when I feel compelled to. Generally speaking I find tripadvisor reviews to be quite fair. However, I have noticed that occasionally you'll find a restaurant here an there that seems to have amazing reviews but nothing seems to add up. I genuinely found this pub to be quite disappointing. The food was average and the staff were rude and unwelcoming of kids. A bouncy castle doesn't mean that kids are treated with respect or patience indoors. Where are the good reviews coming from? The expansive trailer park next to the pub? Next time in Exmoor I'll definitely steer clear of Smugglers.

• Visited April 2012
3 Thank Italamericano
simonrcurtis, Owner at The Smugglers Inn, responded to this review, July 19, 2012
I thank you for your review, but am at a loss to see how you can put up all these grievances and not mention any actual events or facts.
You wouldn't happen to be the other members of the party that gave me a bad review a while back and are now trying to answer those answers from me and drive that point home?
However please be aware that we are children friendly as long as they are reasonably well behaved and not allowed to crawl all over the main walk way floors.
Thank you once again for your some what interesting review.
As a point of interest, it is not a trailer park (that does make the whole area sound rather cheap and tacky) but a static and mobile home park with beautiful views across Exmoor and Blue Anchor Bay.
A lot of these reviews are from local people as well as from travellers far and wide across the globe.