“Eric is a Legend!”

Ranked #25 of 37 Minehead B&B and Inns
Melbourne, Australia
“Eric is a Legend!”
Reviewed July 12, 2013

A big "thank you" to Eric, Julie , Caroline & the staff for their excellent pub - a genuine hub of the community. The rooms were comfortable & well equipped, the food was great & the location/setting quintessentially English & ideal for our purpose (Ironman 70.3 UK). Eric is a machine! - up serving breakfast as early as 4.00 am & still taking last orders at 11.00 pm.

We look forward to staying there again.
Jamie & Sarah, Daniel, Ian & Jean Edwards (Australia)

Room Tip: Some rooms don't have views. Ask when booking if this is important to you.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Ian E
RestandBeThankful, Owner at The Rest and Be Thankful Inn, responded to this review, July 4, 2014
Dear Ian Many thanks for your comments! we are so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us! yes Eric is a workaholic!!! and very passionate! We have just had this years Iron man and didn't see you! hope you will come and see us again if you are in the area.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Horsham, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 22, 2013

Twice in a week My wife & I came here. Once on the Wednesday evening for the carvery & once again on the Friday evening. On both occasions the food was very good but when we recieved the bill we noticed an extra pint of beer had been charged for the had not been consumed by either of us. A genuine mistake the first time? Maybe, but for it to happen the second time as well, seems more than a coincidence to me! My advise is to check the bill carefully if you go here.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Andrew B
RestandBeThankful, Manager at The Rest and Be Thankful Inn, responded to this review, July 4, 2014
Dear Andrew, Many thanks for your comments. We are pleased you enjoyed your meals with us. I do apologise that the errors were made, I can assure you that this would have been a genuine mistake and is not something we make a habit of. I would hope that this was rectified and we now go through the bill with the customers before payment is made to ensure everything is correct.
West Sussex, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 14, 2013

A great location for a traditional English pub. The staff are welcoming and attentive. The food was fresh, well-presented and plentiful. The ambiance was just right for a country inn in great countryside. Recommended.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Vega77
Dear Vega77 many thanks for your comments. we are so pleased you enjoyed your visit to the Rest and Be Thankful. We hope you will return one day.
Reviewed June 2, 2013

Having just spent a lovely week in Somerset we as a family (8 adults and 4 children) would like to thank Caroline and her staff at the Rest and Be Thankful for the great food and service we received.The Rest and Be Thankful Inn is truly a very friendly place to go and we can highly recommend the carvery on Sundays and Wednesdays (We went both days) Once again thank you all for helping to make a great holiday. Dave Isle of Wight.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank DaveClark65
Dear Dave! Many thanks for your comments we are so pleased you enjoyed your experience with us. Hopefully see you again in the future!
East Sussex
Reviewed May 10, 2013

Due to traffic problems we were late getting to Somerset and as a result only booked a room at 9.00pm by telephone, I needed a twin but they only had a double so they offered to change the room if we could give them 30 minutes.

On arrival the room was ready and although food service normally stops at 9.00 they kept the kitchen open. Typical pub grub but no complaints, generous portions and freshly cooked, the staff inc the Manager couldn't have been more welcoming and helpful.

This hotel puts Travelodge to shame, warm well furnished room, everything worked and was spotlessly clean. Nice bath robes, plently of towels & toiletries, shower was hot and powerful.

Breakfast was equally generous and well cooked, no hesitation in recommending this hotel or staying again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank pipgc
Dear Pipgc. Many thanks for your comments! we are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and we were as helpful as we could be! nothing worse than arriving late and having to change your plans. We hope you will come and see us again should you be visiting the area again!
Minehead, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 6, 2013

Recently visited the R&B for a meal with my family, living quite local we do use the place reasonably frequently. Just like other visits my most recent experience was nothing short of excellence.
In this instance we had a mixture of carverys and items off the menu, the carvery which I have to say is one of the best around, had a selection of 3 meats and as many choices of veg you could wish to see! (my favourite is the roasted veg mixture).
The staff were extremely attentive, kind & pleasant and made sure the timings of the two meals off the menu arrived in sync with the carvery etc - the landlord was carving the meats and being the perfect host!
The cost of the meal was in the region of £45 for the five of us so I thought that was quite reasonable as well!!
If your passing do consider visiting you won't be disappointed.
And just passing comment on the previous review - I really do question if he's reviewing the right place!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank JeremyK483
Dear Jeremy. Many thanks for your comments. We miss seeing you! don't forget to come and see us when you are in the area!! We will continue to try and be as friendly and attentive as possible. All the very best x
Reviewed February 18, 2013 via mobile

I have never been minded to write a review before, but so poor was our experience that I feel compelled to warn others. We were staying at some local cottages and with my father spending the day with us we thought we would take him out for a meal. This was a thank you to him as he has so often taken us out for some fabulous meals. The look of the pub led us to expect decent pub grub. After a drink in the bar we were taken to our table, and were a little disappointed to note that the music system was playing a local radio station, which in turn was playing music which was neither suitable for a restaurant or the valentines evening which they were supposedley celebrating. By far the biggest disappointment was the food. Firstly, my wife who has never returned any food in the 14 years we have been together returned her salmon which had been so overcooked that it was totally unedible. The accompanying vegetables were okay apart from the fact that they were cold. We also had 2 children's meals. My eldest sons pasta dish consisted of fried mince, with penne pasta. There was no hint of a sauce and looked utterly unappertising. My youngest son had 2 overcooked processed sausages and some very old "new" potatoes! Equally dry and unappealing. My father's dish consisted of a duck breast that was either very old or very over cooked, and probably both. Rather than being pink, the breast was grey in colour. It was accompanied by the most incipid looking sauce I have ever seen. My dad was too polite to make a fuss and struggled through manfully. However on the way home he did share that he was worried about the duck and whether or not he would be ill. I am glad to say there was no ensuing illness. My own dish was a sirloin steak. The steak was meant to be rare, but was nearer to well done/cremated. The garnish was absurd, with the star billing being some lettuce leaves that would in themseves have made up a green salad for a party of 6. However,the redeeming feature of the meal were the chips which were reasonabally tasty. Although the food was terrible - credit should be given to the waitresses and bar staff who were friendly. When we recieved the bill we were glad to see that the salmon had not been charged for, but nonetheless felt cheated that the experience cost us £50. As we were eating, and as we were leaving we overheard converations that led us to believe that our experience was not unique and that there were other disatisfied customers.

I do not write this review lightly. I understand that people's livelihoods depend on good reveiws and repeat business, but come on guys you have to do better than this! We will certainly not be coming back to repeat the experience!!!

• Stayed February 2013
Dear Sharksurfer. I am truly very sorry that you did not enjoy your meals with us. I do not know why it would be like this. We have changed our fish supplier now and have had a great response to this. As for the other meals I can not understand it, the Duck is a very popular dish and as is the pasta dish and steak. We usually have the radio on during the lunchtime shift and light CD music in the evening. I am sorry that we have obviously failed in this instance, but if you see subsequent reviews we do try to look after our customers and succeed 98% of the time! Kindest regards