“Fantastic Place - Great Meal”

The Rest and Be Thankful Inn
Ranked #26 of 37 Minehead B&B and Inns
Minehead, United Kingdom
“Fantastic Place - Great Meal”
Reviewed March 6, 2013

Recently visited the R&B for a meal with my family, living quite local we do use the place reasonably frequently. Just like other visits my most recent experience was nothing short of excellence.
In this instance we had a mixture of carverys and items off the menu, the carvery which I have to say is one of the best around, had a selection of 3 meats and as many choices of veg you could wish to see! (my favourite is the roasted veg mixture).
The staff were extremely attentive, kind & pleasant and made sure the timings of the two meals off the menu arrived in sync with the carvery etc - the landlord was carving the meats and being the perfect host!
The cost of the meal was in the region of £45 for the five of us so I thought that was quite reasonable as well!!
If your passing do consider visiting you won't be disappointed.
And just passing comment on the previous review - I really do question if he's reviewing the right place!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank JeremyK483
RestandBeThankful, Manager at The Rest and Be Thankful Inn, responded to this review, July 4, 2014
Dear Jeremy. Many thanks for your comments. We miss seeing you! don't forget to come and see us when you are in the area!! We will continue to try and be as friendly and attentive as possible. All the very best x

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Reviewed February 18, 2013 via mobile

I have never been minded to write a review before, but so poor was our experience that I feel compelled to warn others. We were staying at some local cottages and with my father spending the day with us we thought we would take him out for a meal. This was a thank you to him as he has so often taken us out for some fabulous meals. The look of the pub led us to expect decent pub grub. After a drink in the bar we were taken to our table, and were a little disappointed to note that the music system was playing a local radio station, which in turn was playing music which was neither suitable for a restaurant or the valentines evening which they were supposedley celebrating. By far the biggest disappointment was the food. Firstly, my wife who has never returned any food in the 14 years we have been together returned her salmon which had been so overcooked that it was totally unedible. The accompanying vegetables were okay apart from the fact that they were cold. We also had 2 children's meals. My eldest sons pasta dish consisted of fried mince, with penne pasta. There was no hint of a sauce and looked utterly unappertising. My youngest son had 2 overcooked processed sausages and some very old "new" potatoes! Equally dry and unappealing. My father's dish consisted of a duck breast that was either very old or very over cooked, and probably both. Rather than being pink, the breast was grey in colour. It was accompanied by the most incipid looking sauce I have ever seen. My dad was too polite to make a fuss and struggled through manfully. However on the way home he did share that he was worried about the duck and whether or not he would be ill. I am glad to say there was no ensuing illness. My own dish was a sirloin steak. The steak was meant to be rare, but was nearer to well done/cremated. The garnish was absurd, with the star billing being some lettuce leaves that would in themseves have made up a green salad for a party of 6. However,the redeeming feature of the meal were the chips which were reasonabally tasty. Although the food was terrible - credit should be given to the waitresses and bar staff who were friendly. When we recieved the bill we were glad to see that the salmon had not been charged for, but nonetheless felt cheated that the experience cost us £50. As we were eating, and as we were leaving we overheard converations that led us to believe that our experience was not unique and that there were other disatisfied customers.

I do not write this review lightly. I understand that people's livelihoods depend on good reveiws and repeat business, but come on guys you have to do better than this! We will certainly not be coming back to repeat the experience!!!

• Stayed February 2013
Dear Sharksurfer. I am truly very sorry that you did not enjoy your meals with us. I do not know why it would be like this. We have changed our fish supplier now and have had a great response to this. As for the other meals I can not understand it, the Duck is a very popular dish and as is the pasta dish and steak. We usually have the radio on during the lunchtime shift and light CD music in the evening. I am sorry that we have obviously failed in this instance, but if you see subsequent reviews we do try to look after our customers and succeed 98% of the time! Kindest regards
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 9, 2013

We visited this pub this afternoon. We had been on the snowdrop walk and this place was advertised as somewhere you could have a drink and bite to eat.
The landlord was eating in the pub and we got the distinct impression when we walked in that we were interupting his tea and were not welcome. When I asked if we could have food to eat, the landlord said "no" it was too early for hot food. We thought this was fair enough because it was 5pm (so a little late).
After a while, my six year old daughter was quite hungry and we thought that maybe the pub could provide a small sandwich for her (i.e. nothing hot or too complicated). We asked another member of staff and he said "OK". When my husband went to the bar to order some more drinks he mentioned the sandwich in passing to the landlord. The landlord "barked" back to my husband that they shouldn't be serving food and that he had already mentioned this to us. His attitude was really poor. You would think in these hard times that landlords would be more welcoming and accommodating to potential customers, but not at this pub. Very old style service. I wouldn't recommend it at all.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Jill R
Dear Jill. Many thanks for your comments. I am sorry that you did not enjoy your experience with us. It is very unlike the landlord to be rude in fact he is known for being an excellent host. Everybody is entitled to eat and the fact he was eating his "lunch" at 5pm probably indicates he had been extremely busy. I am not making excuses for his behaviour but I am sure once the pub was open officially for food it would have been no problem at all, the reason the member of staff was in early was to prepare for the large function they had that evening.
virginia
Reviewed January 22, 2013

I was fortunate to stay at this great little B&B this past weekend while I was at a "Shoot". The Inn was small and cozy with a great bar and amazing hosts - Caroline and Eric I think I recall meeting. They were very polite and willing to oblige me with my weird drink requests..... The restaurant was great with a sampling of local favorites (I had Exmoor Sausage - brilliant!!) and the decor was very country casual and comfortable.
Rooms: small and perfect with one of the most comfortable beds that I slept in while in the UK. The bathroom was perfectly clean and my only issue was not knowing how to start the shower - totally my fault b/c Americans don't usually have these type of showers.
Anyway, I hope to come back some day when it's warmer and actually stay longer. Cheers!

Room Tip: I was in 3 of them - all very similar
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank VirginiaTed
Dear VirginiaTed! Many thanks for your comments. so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. we hope you will come back another time for some more bar antics!
UK
Reviewed December 14, 2012 via mobile

These are "rooms above a pub" perfectly fine and comfy with nice touches like bathrobes which are unusual in this type of accommodation. Shower worked well and there was plenty of hot water.

Wondered at first what sort of place this was going to be as on arrival it was very noisy - but this turned out to be a competitive skittle game which you can't hear from the rooms.

Landlord and staff were friendly and helpful, breakfast was good and they put on an early breakfast for our party with no problems.

There's little / no mobile reception at this location but there's free wifi which works in the rooms - you have to ask for the code as it wasn't displayed anywhere in the room.

• Stayed December 2012
Dear Soundmary. Many thanks for your comments. It is very difficult to get the right balance for customers in the pub when it is lively and the residents that stay with us. We have made as many improvements to the pub to soundproof the bedrooms as much as possible. thank you again we hope you will return to see us one day!
Taunton, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 14, 2012

Having lunched at the Rest & Be Thankful many times over the past years, we stopped there last week during a drive over Exmoor on a beautiful early Winters day. The pub was much the same as it has always been, warm, clean & inviting, with a nice fire burning, albeit in a stove rather than the original open fire, the staff were cheerful and friendly, the toilets were clean and fresh, and there was no "music"!There was a good selection of local beers, the menu, was typical bar food, sensibly priced. The good portion of food was served on hot plates, and was generally very tasty.
The fish, however, was a little dissapointing, a slab of obviously pre breadcrumbed plaice out of a packet or freezer. Previous visits had produced fresh fish, with a choice of haddock or cod, sometimes pan fried or grilled. Fish is expensive, but a greater choice, even at more cost may be a good idea. We will certainly visit again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear John. Many thanks for your comments. We do endeavour to make sure the pub is as clean and inviting as possible. We had to install the woodburners as it is more efficient, we chose the biggest window for the fire as possible so not to loose the great atmosphere a fire provides! Since your comments we have changed our suppliers and we now buy our fish from our local fishmongers which is 100% better. We look forward to hopefully seeing you again in the future!
coventry
Reviewed October 6, 2012

From the outside this place looks inviting,we were told it was dog friendly but the area
set aside to eat with our pet consisted of two sofas side by side in a small area.
I also was not impressed by tjhe pool table area adjoining as it looked like any inner
city pub.
We did have lunch but this was very good and i would not return

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dear Larry. Thank you for your comments. Im pleased you thought our pub looks inviting as we endeavour to keep a good standard of cleanliness and look after our pub. We are sorry we were not up to your standard of "dog friendly" we try to please as many of our guests as possible. The Pool table is part of a typical country and town pub and during very quiet times of the year actually brings people into a pub for some entertainment, perhaps you were looking for a restaurant atmosphere.