All reviewshighclere castlethe pubmarco pierre whitethe toilet roll holdersunday roastbeacon hillsorbetgreat lunchmain roadrooms are smallstayed for two nightsfish and chipsexcellent staysea bassshower headmain coursewine list
Reviewed October 26, 2017

My husband and I stayed for two nights very recently. We meet mid-week as we both work away and would otherwise temporarily only see each other at weekends. We go to hotels in/around Newbury as it's 'in the middle' for us location wise.
But I doubt we'd stay at The Carnarvon Arms again.

Our food on both nights was nice. Fresh and well presented with decent portion sizes.

On the first night we sat in the bar area and the service was friendly and effecient. It was a bit confusing as to whether it was table service or not. We would have been happy to order at the bar but were told to wait for someone to come over.
The second night we were in the more formal restaurant. It wasn't very busy and tables seemed too spread out for there to be a good atmosphere. The service was a bit slow (our server was REALLY forgetful, taking drinks orders and offering menus that never arrived).

The biggest disappointment was the woman on reception when we left each morning. On the first day she was bolshy because we almost accidentally took our key with us. The second day she was quite argumentative when I said that some food we had ordered in the restaurant and paid for seperately had been added to our room... after we provided the receipt to prove it she didn't acknowledge or apologise for the mistake.

Because we are working away during the week we each claim for our meals from our respective employers. The concept of us wanted to pay seperately for our food seemed completely alien to them and for some reason they were quite difficult about it. It was like they thought we were having some kind of secretive rendesvouz or something. We weren't. But even if we were it would be none of their business and no excuse to ignore our reasonable requests to pay for food on different bills and off the room.

It's an OK place. I had a dodgy 'winter' cocktail, but husband said that the beer was good.

Our room was small but comfortable. A bath would have been nice. We had a shower cubicle that only slim people could easily get in and out off.

x

• Stayed: October 2017, traveled as a couple
2  Thank claireclaire1983
DOXFORDS, General Manager at The Carnarvon Arms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 19, 2018

Dear Claire
Thank you for your review, I have noted all your points and will bring them up in my next staff meeting. I do hope to see you again

dave Keogh

Reviewed September 26, 2017

We Booked on line thinking nise place to stay on way to south coast uk checked in late
had meal in resturant 2 others there service terrible food poor went to Bed room
Room was very small like Box room in most homes bed was tiny for 2 normal size adults
more for 2 small kids we didn't sleep a wink room was hot i couldn't turn off radiator as valve was broke opened windows could not leave open as we were on ground level
no room to walk around bed no wardrobe just Rack went to complain about 12 am no one around
next morning went breakfast asked for 2 english got Raw sausages and bacon on plate
egg needed cooking more they put buttered toast on plate sent the lot back
didnt pay for breakfast and got hell out of the place

• Stayed: September 2017, traveled as a couple
1  Thank joe k
DOXFORDS, General Manager at The Carnarvon Arms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2017

Dear Joe
I am sorry you felt as if the hotel and staff were not up to standards. I have looked into this and many of my staff remember you and are horrified in what you have said. My bar manager said she assisted you to the hotel by phone as you had got lost and that she felt your stay was fine.
As you can see from the majority of our reviews this is not the case and I'm confident in saying that all your points have been put to rest by all my team.
I do hope you enjoyed your stay on the coast and the next time your over from the emerald isle please let me know as I would like to meet you.

Dave Keogh

Reviewed September 16, 2017

We were disappointed with the room, if you want to call it that. More like a small box. The location is perfect to see the castle, so it serves a purpose. They were not full, so I can't understand why they put us in such a small room. Window latch was broken , and there is a weird green light on the ceiling that you can't shut off which was really annoying.
The good news was dinner in the pub. Really excellent, service not so great, but food was surprisingly good. This was the only place we stayed in the UK that didn't include breakfast with the room.

• Stayed: August 2017, traveled as a couple
2  Thank UpperWS
DOXFORDS, General Manager at The Carnarvon Arms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2017

Dear UpperWS
Thank you for your time to review the Carnarvon arms. I have made a note of your comments and will ensure to fix the latch and the emergency lights have been altered to a lower setting.
Regards Dave Keogh

Reviewed September 3, 2017 via mobile

Called in as a family on spec for Sunday lunch. Couldn't have picked a better place. Pleasant surroundings, even more pleasant and friendly staff. Food was excellent. We will certainly visit again if in the neighbourhood.

Stayed: September 2017, traveled with family
DOXFORDS, General Manager at The Carnarvon Arms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 7, 2017

Hi Allan
Thank you for your time to review the Carnarvon arms. I will have great pleasure in passing on your lovely comments to all my team this weekend and I look forward to seeing you soon

Regards Dave Keogh

Reviewed August 28, 2017 via mobile

Stayed for bank holiday to visit Highclere Castle for which this pub is perfectly situated. We had a ground floor room which was compact but adequate. There is as mentioned previously only a hanging rail as opposed to a wardrobe not an issue but take your own hangers as only 2 are provided. The bathroom was small with a tiny shower cubicle and bizarrely an oversized sink. The shower itself was luke warm which was lovely for this weekend as the weather was exceptionally hot but in the winter it would be too cool. We had breakfast and a couple of meals, all food was ok could of done with being hotter. The staff however were all exceptionally warm and friendly and appeared to work very hard. All in all a nice country pub with great staff.

Stayed: August 2017, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 186402Nikki
DOXFORDS, General Manager at The Carnarvon Arms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 1, 2017

Dear Nikki
Thank you for your time to review the Carnarvon arms. I have taken note of all the little things that you have mention and I will act on them immediately. I have to thank you for your comments as If I am not told I cannot fix them. Once again thank you. I look forward to seeing you soon

Dave Keogh