“Excellent food & charming atmosphere”

Valle D'oro Restaurant
Ranked #24 of 202 Restaurants in Newbury
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed August 22, 2017

I love the slightly 70s feel about this place. Traditional Italian restaurant where the waiter brings the sweet trolley to your table! You don't see that often these days.

Also I have to say what an unfair review Mr N below has written. If his spelling is anything as good as his judgement then that would account for his extremely unfair grading and write-up.

This is my favourite restaurant in Newbury. They deserve better and I do hope the owners (or other patrons) do not have to endure Mr N repeating his visit. Bon appetit!

2  Thank Smudge1367

Reviewed July 14, 2017

Portions are huge. Far too much! Very nice food. Reasonable prices and friendly staff. Parking needed a bit of figuring out as we didn't know the area - so worth checking before you go

Reviewed April 20, 2017

Despite the rude comments from Michael N below, English people do know what good food is and this restaurant is capable of serving it. Perhaps not the very best you'd find in Tuscani or Rome or Milano but good nevertheless.
As others have said its an old world charm place with attentive service and a good menu. Give it a try.

1  Thank davesurrey9999
Reviewed April 9, 2017

We dined out on my wife's birthday with two of our friends and had an excellent meal. We had not been there for a while and my wife said let's go to the Valle D'oro. As good as ever just as we like it, no fancy dan dishes served on dustbin lid sized plates !

1  Thank sunsetcorner
Reviewed April 8, 2017

So I read some reviews about the great food and had to remind myself - people in England do not know what good food is.

We ordered the Calamari for starters and a Steak dish with tomatoe sauce of top with Veg. The Calamari came out oven quality except without the crispyness.

When we got the main, it was an enormous slab of old meat drenched in a tomatoe sauce. It was very tough, overly cooked and really old. The veg that came as side dishes were fresh out of the freezer, completely unseasoned and essentially just whacked in a bowl. Overall, I would have thrown the dish in the bin if I had cooked it myself at home. Unfortunately I was too polite to throw it to the floor in front of the waiter as the waiters were very nice.

I would say family atmosphere, nice little place, bad food. They need smaller portions with better quality, and until they master this pretty basic concept, I would definitely avoid. A good italien if your craving is Mio Fiore in Newbury, similar prices and much better food and restaurent.

Also, the menu was extremely limited. Essentially you had a choice of steak, pasta dishes or chicken.