“Nice but no pizza”

Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed July 21, 2013 via mobile

Nice Italian restaurant with friendly owners (didn't mind us turning up in t-shirt and shorts). A little surprised there was no pizza on the menu and was concerned this may be a problem for my fussy brother but they had plenty of pasta and steak choices so it all worked out well in the end.

1  Thank HonestRae

Reviewed July 15, 2013

Small, family run restaurant with excellent food, good service and varied menu to satisfy all tastes.

Reviewed July 7, 2013

Took my daughter to dinner in mid June. When I am in Newbury I often take her to Val D Oro. As usual the welcome was wonderful. On this occasion the owners daughter was running the show. They have a good variety of pastas, steaks, fish and traditional Italian dishes. They have a whole Dover sole which is great. In fact their sea bass is also excellent and my daughter vouches for their steaks. Their wine list is pretty good. Ladies get a rose when leaving, a nice touch

Reviewed July 3, 2013

We've been to this restaurant several times and have yet to find a single negative. It seems to have been run by the same family for years, and run very well.
I get the impression that the owners genuinely like their customers. You are greeted warmly and sincerely. All interactions with the staff are friendly yet not overbearing.
The food is excellent, tasty, nice portions and well presented. We’ve tried several items and have yet to find a dud. Good value too.
The deserts are great – I’m diabetic so I have a small bowl of strawberries but the rest of my family like the deserts.
They serve alcohol-free beer … a must for me.
You can actually chat with each other … the music is quiet and it’s not like a mess hall. It’s also fairly small ‘n cozy which we like.
Toilets are clean.
And when you leave, the ladies get a rose.

Reviewed June 28, 2013

A wonderful little restaurant run my the same family now for many many years. You are always warmly welcomed with very good service and they are accommodating at every turn. Whilst the menu doesn't change at all, the specials are usually interesting, but as a whole, the menu has plenty of Italian inspired dishes to choose from. I haven't found a bad one yet. I would recommend this restaurant because the food is very good and plentiful, and its great value for money. And on top of that the ambience is great. Busy but not manic.