“Lovely Lunch with a beautiful setting”

The RiverBar at Newbury Manor
Ranked #100 of 191 Restaurants in Newbury
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Tucked away in Newbury is the Newbury Manor Hotel, home to the River Bar restaurant. Set by the water, the River Bar offers exciting and innovative cuisine that is sourced from the best, local markets. The dining room is elegantly furnished and offers superb views of the hotel grounds. The a la carte menu offers dishes that are presented superbly, such as mushroom risotto with Sauternes jelly, sea bass with scallops and saffron mash and pork belly with toffee apples. Desserts are equally inviting; why not try the Newbury Manor Stranoffee? Three courses of this international cuisine costs an average of £35 per person.
London, United Kingdom
“Lovely Lunch with a beautiful setting”
Reviewed March 13, 2013

Went for a family lunch and had a great meal at a beautiful setting. The restaurant is set right on the river and if it hadn't have been so wet underfoot it would have been great to have been able to walk our food off after by walking around the gardens. We went for the set lunch menu which was excellent value and the service was very good. Would love to go back in the summer months as setting is beautiful.

• Visited February 2013

Oslo
“Great Food, amazing location”
Reviewed February 15, 2013

Food, location and value for money are amazing :-) Great place to have dinner and enjoy the surroundings. Stuff very attentive and always with a smile. Thank you for wonderful evening

Visited February 2013
bournemouth
“Dined while staying at hhotel”
Reviewed February 14, 2013

The food and service were superb. The biggest highlight however was the waterside setting. I would like to revisit in the summer while it stays light throuhout the evening

Visited February 2013
“Very very very dissapointing.”
Reviewed January 28, 2013 via mobile

We had been planning a visit to the River Bar for quite a while and by chance friends gave us a gift voucher for a meal and with my wife's birthday approaching it was a good time to use it.

They say first impressions last and that's very true, on entering the restaurant we weren't created by staff merely looked at, when stating I had a table booked I received no response above a grunt and subsequently got pointed at two tables of two. Not sure what this meant I asked "which table" to which a grunt and a point directed me at the table we should be sitting at.

After a short while a waitress came over with menus and a wine list, shortly after this we were bought bread. We were then asked if we would like a drink (same time as ordering food) and our drinks arrived shortly before a courtesy appetizer.

Our table was very very cold, next to a radiator that was switched off, it was a cold evening so this made the table even colder.

Not long after this our main course arrived, I had a steak which was really big (I like big steaks) and cooked perfectly the accompanying sides were nice enough but not out of this world. My wife had lobster bollognaise which was a major let down, flavorless and very tough.

As the mains arrived I asked if the radiator could be turned on (this should indicate I am cold??) but the manager struggled to turn it on after stating it was on "full" claiming a fuse had gone and left........me to get colder. Given the restaurant was a quarter full a simple offer of moving to another table would have gone a long way. No nothing.

Mains cleared promptly and desert menus provided, a hazlenut meringue chosen which again was ok, but the cold desert and the cold table were not really appealing and all I wanted to do was leave at this point.

What seems like an age passed and our dessert dishes were cleared and I asked for the bill. After the grand total of 1 hour and 10 minutes we had managed to get cold and eat a two course meal in a place where the staff grunt and provide very little interaction and atmosphere.

We won't be retuning regardless of what reviews say on here, maybe Monday nights are staff training night, I don't know. But for a 2 AA rosette restaurant you would expect more and more often.

The only saving grace was the voucher, at least we didn't have to pay the full bill.

I like good food and I do review positively where it has been earned but I don't think I have ever been left so disapointed and let down as i was when I left the riverbar. If that's the best they have to offer then I would reccomend trying some of the other places around Newbury that will offer more.

1 Thank Daryl6069
Bristol, United Kingdom
“don't miss the food!”
Reviewed January 19, 2013

Excellent menu choice! Non-meat eaters reasonably well catered for with more than one choice a course. From six different meals over three days, we (four of us) were not once disappointed. Presentation of the food is very good, service standard quite good (its actually a bit behind for the quality of the food). Each course was morish, delivering highly on its menu description and appearance. Attractive setting for the restaurant by some water, largish carpark at the back of the hotel, 40 yards away.

Visited December 2012