“Had a great Staff Christmas meal there”
Review of Bacon Arms

Bacon Arms
Ranked #19 of 24 Newbury B&B and Inns
Newbury, United Kingdom
“Had a great Staff Christmas meal there”
Reviewed January 7, 2011

This was one of the best meals out I've ever had. I live local & was looking for a venue for a few work friends to have a Christmas meal together. Short notice wasn't a problem as it was only a table for 11, although 2 couldn't make it because of the poor weather. Everyone thoroughly enjoyed the venue, the service & the quality of the three course meal. will definitely be holding the next Christmas Party there.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
welshman
Reviewed January 6, 2011

Needs updating,but it's in a good place to visit Berkshire excellent deal for 2 nights,Marstons pubs are fine to stay in

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
East Anglia
Reviewed January 21, 2010

We stayed here for 2 nights during the week as we came for a funeral and we couldn't fault it, especially for the amount paid. The room was clean and tidy and the bed was really comfortable. Housekeeping came in the 1st day and made the bed up and tidied our stuff beautifully. The staff were friendly and helpful, breakfast was nice and we were served very quickly and the actual pub was welcoming as well. My only complaint would be the noise from the road but they did provide ear plugs if you needed them and the road was quiet during the night time. We met family there and I don't think everyone liked their meals but they weren't expensive and you can't always please everyone I suppose.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank bumblesquat
Newbury
Reviewed January 17, 2010

Having spent a considerable amount of time I can thoroughly recommend the accomodation provided by this Marston's Pub. The Bacon arms is located at the north end of the town of Newbury, a short (walking) distance from the centre of town. As a result, it is easy to walk into town to visit the main attractions but the pub is not affected by the noise of the marketplace on Weds/Thurs/Friday evenings.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
south coast
Reviewed September 7, 2009

...but not a great night! I felt like I was a stranger in town, the bar was full when I arrived and the one barmaid had to finish serving before she could book me in. Not necessarily a problem, but I did feel I was interrupting the drinkers, at around 4.30 in the afternoon.She offered to show me to the room, but I said I would find it, up narrow stairs, dark and creaky, to a room that looked out on the car park and was very warm. Nicely furnished bedroom, bathroom adequate. Hot night with small windows open, smoke from the smokers gathering place wafted in, so not ideal. Dinner okay, breakfast average, won't rush back.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank jamesgandolfini
Guisborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 29, 2009

Very pleasantly surprised, gorgeous room with a very comfy bed, helpful staff and a delicious breakfast. If I ever end up in Newbury again, I'd book there.

Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
Southend on Sea Essex
Reviewed June 7, 2009

We booked the Bacon Arms via Late rooms as we could not find another reasonably priced room in Newbury that could accomodate our family of four for one night in one room. We booked by telephone and the owners were more then happy for us to share a triple room. When we arrived we were welcomed and shown to our room which was in the eves of the building, it was very well furnished and decorated and our daughter loved the sloping floor and ceilings. The breakfast was lovely and more than enough. All in all we would thoroughly recomend this hotel for a short stay in the lovely town of Newbury.