“No1 Restaurant in Newbury”
Review of Brebis - CLOSED

Brebis
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: Relaxed family-run bistro offering great wines and lovingly prepared french food. Bistro/pintxos style lunch menu and full a la carte evening menu open wednesday to saturday, lunch and dinner
Newbury, United Kingdom
“No1 Restaurant in Newbury”
Reviewed July 5, 2014

Another enjoyable visit & lovely evening, food fabulous, excellent service & ambience. No1 restaurant in Newbury, Classic French at it's best. If you have not been to Brebis, go you will not be disappointed. Madeleine's just fab

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank Chris O

Hungerford, United Kingdom
“Lovely meal in a fantastic restaurant”
Reviewed July 3, 2014

My boyfriend and I had a delicious supper at Brebis last night. I had one of my favourite starters duck and foie gras terrine and he had a very tasty and fresh; cured salmon starter. Both our mains were also delicious.

It was clear in terms of service the one guy who was present was kept very busy but I actually liked that we were left alone to enjoy our meal, but he was there if we needed something. There is nothing worse than a waiter hovering over you until you finished and asking you every five minutes if everything is ok.

I believe no business can ever stop improving and the one area I would suggest is the pomme pureé with the pave of lamb I felt was a little overbearing and I would have preferred a simpler potato substitute, mainly because the lamb was so delicious and I didn't feel it needed that. However this is probably just personal preference and it was still a very enjoyable dish.

We didn't have room for pudding sadly because the cheese board looked AMAZING! We will definitely be returning here, in fact I might book something in to look forward to. Thank you Brebis for a lovely evening meal.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank Superfoodcat
Newbury, United Kingdom
“Fantastic to have such a good restaurant on our doorstep!”
Reviewed June 30, 2014

Finally got round to going to Brebis on Saturday evening. We loved the simple decor and the welcoming and friendly service. The patron seemed genuinely interested in his guests and was happy to advise on the menu and wines. This was most refreshing as it is the whole package we are looking for when we eat out and not just the quality of the food.

The food was delicious and simply but very attractively presented. Our compliments go to the chef. Seasonal and local produce is used where possible. For starters we had the home cured salmon and charred mackerel, both were lovely. The mains, a sea bream dish and the lamb were also excellent and cooked to perfection. We enjoyed the little touches such as the roots being left on the spring onions. We chose to have the matching wines which complemented well the dishes. For dessert we shared a generous portion of the amazing tart au citron with a glass of champagne as it was a special occasion.

We felt the meal was good value for money and we will be back soon!

1 Thank BerkshireTigger
“Excellent meal”
Reviewed June 29, 2014

Ate here for the second time two weeks ago. This is a small and simply decorated restaurant however the food is anything but. My starter, home smoked salmon with a poached egg, was faultless, my main of pork tenderloin was moist and tender. The matching wines recommended . Being a Saturday the restaurant was full but service was very attentive & efficient. Recommended.

1 Thank OCV51
“Absolutely fantastic..... If you enjoy food this place is a must!”
Reviewed June 5, 2014

I would strongly recommend the chefs choice of wine with each course. Amazing value for money. And the lemon tart is put of this world. In fact it all is!

2 Thank Craig B