“Great Chinese Restaurant in Newbury”

Yo Wan Oriental Restaurant and Bar
Cuisines: Chinese, Asian, Japanese
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol
Kintbury, United Kingdom
“Great Chinese Restaurant in Newbury”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2013

A group of 12 of us visited this restaurant for a late Sunday lunch. The buffet was absolutely delicious with more choices than you could ever want. The atmosphere was first rate with very friendly attentive staff. Will definitely go back, in fact booked a table for my Mum and I one lunchtime before Christmas.

South of England
“Great Food and Service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2013

We have eaten here many times now and on every occasion the food and service have been excellent. Newbury has needed a really good Chinese restaurant for a long time and now we have one. The set menu is exceptionally good value and the drinks reasonably priced.

Newbury, United Kingdom
“Good, but lets not get carried away”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2013

Newbury needed a decent Chinese restaurant and finally has one.

The service is friendly, warm and welcoming; and the food whilst not trying to reinvent the wheel (it's still fairly typical British Chinese restaurant fare) is cooked well, and not overly greasy which sets Yo Wan apart from the norm. They even have a surprisingly varied and well priced wine list.

I overheard that they don't do takeaway which is a minor shame, though understandable if they want to keep the pressure off the kitchen and keep the standard of the food up.

For me I disagree a little with a number of the glowing reviews on TA as it's not quite 5/5, but that's only because they still seem to use a fair bit of salt and MSG, and deep fry the majority of dishes which are then served with sweet sugary sauces. They do it better than most thats for sure, and I'm sure that's what people expect, but in a more health conscious world it must be possible to offer some lighter options made with fresh ingredients, which are not fried.

2 Thank Stones7
Newbury, United Kingdom
“Superb Chinese food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2013

We were looking for somewhere new to eat out on a Monday evening and found this restaurant through Trip Advisor.

Without doubt, it was one of the best Chinese meals we have ever tasted. They do a variation on crispy duck, using crispy lamb instead - it was delicious. For my main course I had scallops with ginger and spring onion - again delicious. Even their egg fried rice was the best I had ever tried. All the others in out party were equally impressed.

The staff were really friendly and pleasantly informal. The decor is not greatly different to any other Chinese restaurant, but perfectly acceptable. They told us that for now, they are not doing a takeaway service, which is unusual. I didn't ask why, but it did mean that there wasn't anyone standing around, waiting for their take-out.

As usual, we ordered too much food, but they were quite happy to box it up for us to take home.

We all thought the prices we really reasonable at £26.00 per head including beers and soft drinks.

I hope their initial quality is maintained. I'm sure they will become really popular around Newbury. The only drawback is that it's out-of-town, which means driving to get there. Having said that, they have a large car-park and it's hardly a long distance.

Good luck to them! We will be back.

West Berkshire
“Full Justification for the top reviews”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2013

I went with our family for the Sunday buffet, vfm, lovely food, friendly and spot on, recommend it lovely.