“25th Wedding Anniversary Venue”

The Watermill Theatre
Ranked #1 of 25 things to do in Newbury
Reviewed July 23, 2013

we have just celebrated our 25th Wedding Anniversary in the grounds of this wonderful venue. we were looked after fantastically by Clem and his team. The food a Hog roast was amazing, served with lovely salads home made breads followed by gorgeous desserts. everyone thought it was perfect for our celebrations. Lots of lovely memories.

All reviews
in 6 reviews
"main course"
in 4 reviews

Reviewed July 12, 2013

Having wandered around Newbury on a beautiful hot afternoon, I didnt want to return early to my accommodation so explored the outskirts, intrigued by the signs to The Watermill Theatre.
The route there takes you out to countryside to a pretty hamlet with a pub and delightful "village streamside green". The Watermill and its adjoining buildings is quaint and interesting. I accidentally entered via the restaurant which was absolutely packed to the rafters with pre-show diners attending the Laurel and Hardy performance, directed by Craig Revell Hoarwood (who I bumped into in the garden!) The cafe was quiet and I was served by an impeccably dressed young black man who was charm itself. I got the impression the whole place was a wonderful place to both work and visit from all the staff I spoke to. I would love to return and do the whole experience. Worlds away from the other customer experience I have recently described!!! Well done Watermill....I will see you again!

Reviewed June 20, 2013

Am a regular at the Watermill ,it's an absolute gem of a theatre set in a stunning location. It's very small but the quality of the productions are first class . If you're visiting West Berkshire are you're looking for a theatrical treat,go to the Watermill you will not be disappointed .

Reviewed May 26, 2013

I've visited this theatre many times, most recently last night to see 'The strange case of Dr Jekyle and Mr Hyde', which was excellent. I paid £25 per seat, which is the most I've paid here, but was well worth it. The actors were quite simply amazing, combining the skills and professionalism of any acts I've seen in London's West End.

The theatre itself I never tire of. As the name suggests, an old watermill. Set in a small village in Berkshire, with beautiful grounds with brook running through and the old waterwheel still visible inside, it has a certain ambience and character. As the auditorium is so small, you have a good view of the stage wherever you sit. Seats in the circle slips are interesting as you can end up over the stage for a completely different view.

I feel this theatre has everything going for it - beautiful setting, contemporary shows and only a stone's-throw from where I live!