“Misinformed about food hygiene”
Review of The Newbury

The Newbury
Reserve with OpenTable
The Newbury is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #16 of 192 Restaurants in Newbury
Cuisines: European, British
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Newbury is a stylish and unique Gastropub in the heart of Newbury town centre. The food is made fresh on site from locally sourced artisan produce. The drinks offering features a carefully selected wine list through to local real ales, lagers and high end spirits. Open seven days a week for lunch and dinner as well as a great brunch menu at the weekend, The Newbury caters for those looking for a real dining experience as well as for customers who just fancy a light bite - with the open kitchen as the focal point of the establishment. The pub has a warm welcoming feel with a spacious bar area, relaxing lounge area, separate dining area, private dinning rooms, state of the art multimedia meeting rooms, upstairs cocktail bar and also a spacious roof terrace where we can cater for parties of all sizes. Have a walk round, absorb the vibrant atmosphere. Discover our chef's table and our deli dresser with homemade piccalilli, sauces and bread baked fresh daily.
Reviewed October 29, 2013

We asked before ordering a steak tartare what their food hygiene rating was. We were told they had not yet been assessed, and due to network problems our app wasn't working. Back home we checked to find out they have a rating of only 2 (poor). The food was decent, but we wonder why they have to lie about to what standards it is prepared...

TheNewbury, General Manager at The Newbury, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2013

Our fillet steak is vacuum sealed and stored in it's own plastic container in our raw beef drawer at 2 degrees centigrade. All our fridge temperatures are recorded and monitored on a daily basis. All our raw ingredients are turned over and held for no longer than three days which meets all the necessary HACCP ( Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point) requirements. This can be shown in all our ordering invoices and stock reports. We log and monitor all deliveries and take our hygiene very seriously. The reason our score was unfortunately so low in February which is when we had our last inspection was due to structural and maintenance up-keeping. There were a few things that we had to tighten up on such as monitoring sheets and maintenance to a badly damaged concreted outside area which have all been rectified and checked since. Unfortunately a lot of these issues were problems we have inherited with the pub itself. We have resolved all problems that were highlighted and due to the kitchen renovations taking place in January, we don't feel the need to be re-scored before this work is carried out although it has been recommended to us by the said authorities that we could do this if we wanted to. Our team of chef's lead by head chef Ian Neale have a vast number of years of experience in the industry at the very highest levels and they all hold very high standards of hygiene and spend many hours cleaning the fridges and kitchen on a daily basis. Obviously we are not happy with this score but it's there for all to see, we have an open kitchen and are very confident in our hygiene standards and feel we have nothing to hide. Maybe the next time we see you in here we can reassure you with proof of our processes and methods.
If you have any further concerns or would like to discuss this matter in more depth, please feel free to book an appointment to speak with Ian and myself or the owners of the business Peter Lumber and Clarke Oldfield who would be more than happy to put your mind at rest.

Reviewed October 26, 2013 via mobile

I have been fortunate enough to experience both lunch and dinner here. This is more of a gastro bar. It has very comfortable sofas etc to sit and relax in the bar area, lovely log burner churning out the heat on a cold wintry evening. A busy place in the evenings with a whole mix of age groups.

The menu has an excellent choice, wines well priced. The service is attentive and the food excellent.

Lunch times are also busy and child friendly having a menu that will suit all, whether it's a quick snack or a three course lunch. Their bread is homemade and I would strongly recommend their home made fish finger sandwich - nothing to touch it anywhere!

Overall a friendly, relaxing and lively atmosphere, I would recommend this place to anyone who likes food and a buzzing atmosphere.

Booking is essential particularly at weekends.

Reviewed October 23, 2013

Met a business colleague there on 28 August so he could get a decent meal before catching his flight back to the US. Unfortunately, the kitchens was closed and not even bar snacks were on offer. Very stylishly decorated and probably very nice when it's fully open but it was empty when I got there - and deservedly so. I had to sit patiently at the bar for quite a while before any staff appeared.

Certainly cannot recommend. I'll score it average but only because I'm giving the benefit of the doubt.

Reviewed October 21, 2013

Arrived a little late for lunch, which runs from 12-3pm. We got a table just a couple minutes before the 3pm end of service time. The place itself is quite stylishly presented, and i imagine on a weekend evening would have quite a buzzing atmosphere. We were greeted by a very pleasant gentleman who served us throughout and was very polite and efficient. The place was pretty much empty at this time so service was very good. I ordered the steak, my friend the mimk fish. Both dishes came quickly and looked really good. My steak was cooked to perfection. I like it medium rare and find it increasingly frustrating when I am constantly given medium well steaks. No such issue here. The only tiny complaint I have is that the seasoning was a little too mm much for me. But then I am one who doesn't really salt my food so that was probably just my taste bud. Otherwise this was definetly one of the best steaks iv ever had! The bernaise sauce that accompanied it was perfection, and help take the melt in your mouth steak to another level. Definetly coming again. Highly recommended.

Reviewed October 20, 2013

A friend and I had lunch here today and it was delicious. Although the restaurant was fully booked the staff were very accommodating in giving us a table near the window in the bar area. We explained we had a three year old a 5 month old (with pram!) and they couldn't do enough to help to ensure we were comfortable. The Sunday lunch menu was wonderful and we both chose the beef which was delicious. Succulent beef with a range of extremely tasty vegetables and amazing roast potatoes. The staff were attentive and could not have done more to make the lunch any more enjoyable than it was. Great food, great ambience and great customer care. Definitely worth a visit.